Chief’s Briefs - @ Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - @ Houston

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
True, when he practices shooting he doesn’t make the percentage an elite shooter would.

His FT shooting shows that he has a better shooting game in his repotoire somewhere. But he’s also not a good shooter off the dribble, baiscally every player is worse off the dribble.

the Q

Reaction Score
If Coach Ollie is back KW is as good as gone. Though it would be a bit irrational given that he's a Jr. (not sure how many years of eligibility) and he lacks game experience, I believe he would ultimately Sprewell KO which would really set the young man back. He can play. He should go to a Central Connecticut, Hofstra or a program of that ilk. He'd play, develop and really have a chance to enjoy the game. I'm rooting for KW, no matter where he ends up.

I wonder about Cobb too.

Reaction Score
His FT shooting shows that he has a better shooting game in his repotoire somewhere. But he’s also not a good shooter off the dribble, baiscally every player is worse off the dribble.
Correct, however i often wonder what his shot would like if he were not double and triple teamed every time he touches the ball? Every opposing coach has made the adjustment to "stop" Adams at all costs. He has to be one tired buckaroo.

the Q

Reaction Score
Correct, however i often wonder what his shot would like if he were not double and triple teamed every time he touches the ball? Every opposing coach has made the adjustment to "stop" Adams at all costs. He has to be one tired buckaroo.

No question.

IMO the offense needs to look a lot like it did towards the end of 2015-2016 with 2 guys in the corners, one big for a high screen. Stationary. And Adams runs him off of him rather than the big running into the play and drawing useless offensive fouls. Set the big up high early.

Reaction Score
I had not watched Houston play at all this season until yesterday. They have had a very good season, are ranked within the Top 25, and are certainly headed to the NCAA tourney.

Watching the game yesterday, I really didn't see much, if any, disparity in terms of talent. Both teams have a star guard and some other decent players. Yet one team is headed to the Big dance and the other one won't even make the NIT.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but with the right coaching and development, this could have been a far better season and a stepping stone toward next year.

Reaction Score
My Personal Opinion
If Ollie Stays
Gone are along with PGs and Larrier are:
Cobb
Williams ( I never thought he was here on anything but a one year experiment)
Plus maybe one of the Following
Polley
Whaley
If Ollie goes which is my big fear
Gone are:
The incoming freshman class
Jaylen Adams
Christian Vital
I also suspect
At least two
Of
Carlton
Polley
Whaley
Diarra
It will be devastating unless the new guy is a great salesmen
Next years team will be
Gilbert
Wilson
Cobb
and whoever the new coach can beg to say
Folks .there was a reason the enemies have been trying 5 years to separate Ollie from the program
He was pretty much our only appeal
UConn is nowhere near the job it was in 1986 . There is know way a Jim Calhoun would take the current job. The UConn delusion knows no bounds
You can blame Ollie of UConn demise but a rational person weighing the facts would conclude otherwise . but but that’s revisionist history. He is a victim of UConn’s demise more so than villain.
I believe Ollie is gone and I hope I’m wrong about the disaster that awaits that move . I will continue to hope for a new coach’s success.
Hopefully we have some patience

Reaction Score
Some of you Ollie apologists are just incredible. And honestly clueless about the pre-Calhoun days. To even suggest that UConn is “not the job it was in 1986” is just dumb. No other way to say it. And that Jim Calhoun would never look at the job was equally dumb. UConn was an overmatched program in a good but not yet great league. By the time Calhoun arrived UConn was the only team to not get an NCAA bid during its time in the league. Now we’ve had a little success in the tourney. As far as Jim Calhoun goes he was the head coach at Northeastern which was a lower level program with roughly the same ambitions as it has today. Calhoun was absolutely looking to go somewhere that had a higher upside. He would jump at this job again. Just as most guys from that league or the A10 or the MAAC would.

Reaction Score
Some of you Ollie apologists are just incredible. And honestly clueless about the pre-Calhoun days. To even suggest that UConn is “not the job it was in 1986” is just dumb. No other way to say it. And that Jim Calhoun would never look at the job was equally dumb. UConn was an overmatched program in a good but not yet great league. By the time Calhoun arrived UConn was the only team to not get an NCAA bid during its time in the league. Now we’ve had a little success in the tourney. As far as Jim Calhoun goes he was the head coach at Northeastern which was a lower level program with roughly the same ambitions as it has today. Calhoun was absolutely looking to go somewhere that had a higher upside. He would jump at this job again. Just as most guys from that league or the A10 or the MAAC would.
Really the state has been in a resession since 2007
My house that I sold in good neighbood and decent town that I sold for $350,000 was recently on the market for $275,000 and didn’t sell.
Alumni leave the state at the highest rate in school history.
The population of the state has decreased with two exceptions Western Fairfield Country and Immigration.
Wake up those are two of the worst demographics for UConn
Retirees with any means ,those are the ones that would go to games , leave the state if possible. Instead of a guy like me taking my son ,who left the state previously, and grandson to UConn games creating another generation it ends with my son.
I would suspect I know as much pre Calhoun UConn history as anyone. Since I attended pretty much every NewHaven/ Hartford game since the Big East .
Are we playing in the Premier Conference in the country one flush from from having 3 teams In the FF?
Do we even have one team on our normal schedule that can invoke the passion of that league.
The games with:
Syracuse and Boeheim
Georgetown under JT
ST Johns Louie
Villanova with Rollie
Seton Hall
BC
or Providence
That’s why Calhoun came here . Do you really believe JC would leave Boston to come to the AAC. Please answer that question. It was his sho5 to run with the Big Dogs.
We got into the Big East because of a good basketball tradition and a large fan base
Your the delusional one if you really believe our situation is better now than in the 1980’s
Especially since guys like you have joined forces with the UConn haters and pushing the narrative that since JC started the program from scratch it ended with him.
To really succeed you have to get by the JC = UConn
To a UConn= Basketball
We have been relegated , so if you dispute that.
Please explain to mean that our current situation is anywhere close to the opportunity it was.
The pre UConn teams were not that physically overmatched ,Dom was simply out of his league against some of the greatest coaches in College BB . JC was not.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not playing Kwintin and Cobb is a firable offense alone. David Onuorah makes the team worse on the floor.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My house that I sold in good neighbood and decent town that I sold for $350,000 was recently on the market for $275,000 and didn’t sell.
The population of the state has decreased with two exceptions Western Fairfield Country and Immigration.
Retirees with any means ,those are the ones that would go to games , leave the state if possible. Instead of a guy like me taking my son ,who left the state previously, and grandson to UConn games creating another generation it ends with my son.
I would suspect I know as much pre Calhoun UConn history as anyone. Since I attended pretty much every NewHaven/ Hartford game since the Big East .
Are we playing in the Premier Conference in the country one flush from from having 3 teams In the FF?
Do we even have one team on our normal schedule that can invoke the passion of that league.
The games with:
Syracuse and Boeheim
Georgetown under JT
ST Johns Louie
Villanova with Rollie
Seton Hall
BC
or Providence
That’s why Calhoun came here . Do you really believe JC would leave Boston to come to the AAC. Please answer that question. It was his sho5 to run with the Big Dogs.
We got into the Big East because of a good basketball tradition and a large fan base
Your the delusional one if you really believe our situation is better now than in the 1980’s
Especially since guys like you have joined forces with the UConn haters and pushing the narrative that since JC started the program from scratch it ended with him.
To a UConn= Basketball
Please explain to mean that our current situation is anywhere close to the opportunity it was.
The pre UConn teams were not that physically overmatched ,Dom was simply out of his league against some of the greatest coaches in College BB . JC was not.

lol

Reaction Score
The games with:
Syracuse and Boeheim
Georgetown under JT
ST Johns Louie
Villanova with Rollie
Seton Hall
BC
or Providence
To a UConn= Basketball

I think Calhoun would come here. He was in his 40's, pretty much maxed out the program at Northeastern and had a slim if any national reputation. We knew very little about him at the time aside from him crushing us in the Conn. Mutual Classic one year. And the big east had only been around for 6 years or so. We, on the other hand, couldn't stay out of the dreaded 8-9 game of the tournament, the Earl Kelley problems were just behind us and played in a leaky field house. Though there was promise because of the league, the program trajectory was downward. He came here then, why wouldn't he come here now?

Reaction Score
My Personal Opinion
If Ollie Stays
Gone are along with PGs and Larrier are:
Cobb
Williams ( I never thought he was here on anything but a one year experiment)
Plus maybe one of the Following
Polley
Whaley
If Ollie goes which is my big fear
Gone are:
The incoming freshman class
Jaylen Adams
Christian Vital
I also suspect
At least two
Of
Carlton
Polley
Whaley
Diarra
It will be devastating unless the new guy is a great salesmen
Next years team will be
Gilbert
Wilson
Cobb
and whoever the new coach can beg to say
Folks .there was a reason the enemies have been trying 5 years to separate Ollie from the program
He was pretty much our only appeal
UConn is nowhere near the job it was in 1986 . There is know way a Jim Calhoun would take the current job. The UConn delusion knows no bounds
You can blame Ollie of UConn demise but a rational person weighing the facts would conclude otherwise . but but that’s revisionist history. He is a victim of UConn’s demise more so than villain.
I believe Ollie is gone and I hope I’m wrong about the disaster that awaits that move . I will continue to hope for a new coach’s success.
Hopefully we have some patience

I love when the yard goes into full conspiracy mode

Reaction Score
At least they got after it and competed with intensity. We still have no semblance of an offense. There is more ball and player movement lately, but still based off that stupid high post pick and players hanging out at the arc waiting for penetration and a kick out. When the pressure is on hero ball emerges and things go stale. It's just a crappy, tired and predictable offense. If we had or decent 3-ball shooter we would be in a lot better shape.

C

Chief00

At least they got after it and competed with intensity. We still have no semblance of an offense. There is more ball and player movement lately, but still based off that stupid high post pick and players hanging out at the arc waiting for penetration and a kick out. When the pressure is on hero ball emerges and things go stale. It's just a crappy, tired and predictable offense. If we had or decent 3-ball shooter we would be in a lot better shape.
That offensive scheme makes offensive rebounding challenging.

Reaction Score
What is the story with all the illegal screens this year? Apparently, it’s the trendy new turnover for UConn, having replaced the “step out of bounds for no reason” play. It seems like a fixable problem that should not be happening so frequently this late in the year.

C

Chief00

What is the story with all the illegal screens this year? Apparently, it’s the trendy new turnover for UConn, having replaced the “step out of bounds for no reason” play. It seems like a fixable problem that should not be happening so frequently this late in the year.

How long would that last with Calhoun? He would have grab the guy and planted him. It’s a lack of attention to detail, lack of understanding of the rule or just a guy avoiding contact vs hoping a guy gets blindsided running into him.
Chief use to love Rick Robey setting backcourt screens. I don’t know how well Andrew Toney and Ricky Sobers remember them? Rick really took pride in it.

the Q

Reaction Score

these bigs seem to have low Bball IQ.

You can't tell me Ollie hasn't taught this over the season. These guys need to listen and learn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom