Chief’s Briefs - Houston Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Houston Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any action in the singles section? Couldn't see any roses on TV.

We saw select students (females) with roses in the student section, which once again, was a major disappointment in Hartford. It seems the first two rows may get into it every once and while the rest of the kids sit on their hands.

Reaction Score
Sad times when you can’t fill more than half the XL center for a top 10 opponent when tickets are being sold for $12. I realize we’re not winning but can’t blame the Athletic Department for a half empty arena. I still think it’s funny that many on here think our bankrupt state needs to build a new arena when we can’t even utilize what we have. The only thing that will fix the fans in the seats is winning.
Plus all the free tickets they gave away.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We were undermanned but competed throughout most of the game. When we maybe overachieve some the first half, and I am also thinking of the Nova game, we have a tendency to come out flat after halftime.

Danny needs to be quicker calling an immediate time out, since we don’t have the octane on offense to make up large deficits. He has a desire to wait for the official timeout at the 16 minute mark of the second half but when we are playing that poorly, 4 minutes is too long. He did finally call a timeout shortly before 4 minutes but the damage was done.

Agree on the TO's at start of second half. Several games UConn has gotten slaughtered last 4 minutes of first half and then is slow in the second half. Bottom line is net swings of 10 points plus for opponents.

I've long been a fan of a TO the first instance something discussed during halftime isn't done on the court.

C

Chief00

Agree on the TO's at start of second half. Several games UConn has gotten slaughtered last 4 minutes of first half and then is slow in the second half. Bottom line is net swings of 10 points plus for opponents.

I've long been a fan of a TO the first instance something discussed during halftime isn't done on the court.

#ChiefCertifiedRating

C

Chief00

Tremendous humble brag.

The only reason I said temperature at floor level is that’s where the ice is and that’s where the ball is played - and that’s what Danny complained about. Only others bring up my seat location either via a picture I took or in a comment about another subject, as you did.
I try to give readers of the home game Briefs a live experience and that includes commenting on the temperature that annoys the head coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Lest not forget Danny is also in a "learning" year. Yes, he has had success in the past, however he is repeatedly going up against quality opponents/coaches both on the court and off the court (i.e. - recruiting). He is more than holding his own on these occasions and will continue to grow. Have to absolutely treasure the effort his team is putting out considering a very short rotation.

Reaction Score
Sad times when you can’t fill more than half the XL center for a top 10 opponent when tickets are being sold for $12. I realize we’re not winning but can’t blame the Athletic Department for a half empty arena. I still think it’s funny that many on here think our bankrupt state needs to build a new arena when we can’t even utilize what we have. The only thing that will fix the fans in the seats is winning.

Last night was a tough one - I was looking forward to this game - even took my wife out for V Day Weds night - but with Adams/AG out - I just couldn't drag myself out of NYC to get to Hartford in time to watch what was going to be a certain loss. Had they both been healthy I would have made it happen.

I'm excited for the future - and I've been to more games this year than the last few years. I have tickets to both XL and Gampel and tbh I didn't personally go to one game last year. Unlike football - which is a very social thing for me and my crew regardless of our performance, hoops for me most of the time is in, watch the game, out. So the product has to be compelling.

Reaction Score
I am really hoping a full off season will do these guys a tremendous service. Wilson has the perfect body type for some mid-range game. He's gotta get stronger to be able to create space and not rely on just his athleticism but he the prototypical mid range wing. Polley can be an asset if he works on coming off screens ready to shoot. He's never going to create his own shot or break down his defender but he has a very smooth, repeatably shot. A summer of coming off screens and duplicating real game experiences will do both these guys a huge service. It wasn't a coincidence kelvin Sampson singled out Wilson in the post game.

Reaction Score
I am really hoping a full off season will do these guys a tremendous service. Wilson has the perfect body type for some mid-range game. He's gotta get stronger to be able to create space and not rely on just his athleticism but he the prototypical mid range wing. Polley can be an asset if he works on coming off screens ready to shoot. He's never going to create his own shot or break down his defender but he has a very smooth, repeatably shot. A summer of coming off screens and duplicating real game experiences will do both these guys a huge service. It wasn't a coincidence kelvin Sampson singled out Wilson in the post game.
Wilson's defense is improving. He was normally matched up against Houston's best shooter and really did a great job on him.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Briefs Update Bonus:
Chief wants to add one more thought on the game.
It was real interesting watching the contrast between J Adam’s and Gilbert on the bench last night.
Don’t get the wrong idea - they both cheered on their teammates enthusiastically and encouraged them. Both very good teammates in that respect. The difference was Gilbert sat between the coaches and was locked in and occasionally spoke with coaches while Jalen sat with teammates and occasionally joked around. Both behaviors were fine but shows how they are different.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Briefs Update Bonus:
Chief wants to add one more thought on the game.
It was real interesting watching the contrast between J Adam’s and Gilbert on the bench last night.
Don’t get the wrong idea - they both cheered on their teammates enthusiastically and encouraged them. Both very good teammates in that respect. The difference was Gilbert sat between the coaches and was locked in and occasionally spoke with coaches while Jalen sat with teammates and occasionally joked around. Both behaviors were fine but shows how they are different.

AG has another year or two. Jalen has been checked out since the start of conference play.

Reaction Score
Kelvin was all over exploiting this. He did it to Carlton twice in the first 3 minutes. The third time Polley rotated over and just in time caught the driver. But it certainly needs to be looked into as the big men are getting caught out deep way too much. The post is vulnerable enough as it is.
I noticed this as well. Carlton got crossed over a number of times and they took the ball straight to rim.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The problem with the AAC is that, no matter how good this conference becomes, UConn fans will always want to get out of it. The grass will always be greener on the other side with the Big Ten and ACC.
Well... yeah. I suppose if our new ESPN deal was $50M per school we might find it a bit more tolerable. (Though still not perfect by long shot.)

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I’m not negative on the AAC, I just know that the AAC is not going to get any kind of major media contract even though you could make the case that they’ve earned it at this point. Yes the league is getting better, but we’re still on the outside looking in compared to the P5. MAYBE the AAC continues to thrive and compete and becomes the sixth power conference like Aresco is always advertising, but if I had a choice long term of P5 or this conference I’d still go P5 personally. I do t hate this conference, just not convinced it’s out best ticket to future success.
You would think the opposite given the distances between the schools which prevents opposing fans from attending games

Reaction Score
Houston thoughts: Comparing us now to early season I noticed lots of positives especially in the first half. We definitely have better ball movement and player movement on offense. Most players are more shot ready than Dec./Jan. and the improved movement generates better "O".
Defensively in 2019 we have improved in what I will call the "A.R.A". Anticipation, Reaction, and Awareness. (Not in all players all the time) We could polish up our defensive stances, getting low to improve reaction time, and thinking one, two or three moves ahead to sharpen our help defense.
Overall we are better, despite losing 4 players to injury at the moment.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Re: attendance, top 10 or not, fans aren’t building their Valentine’s Day plans around a game with Houston.
5 years ago, I built my New Year's Eve plans around a Houston game and dinner w/flights of beer at Delaney's. Game was awful, and Delaney's burned to the ground 8 months later, but Championship #4.

Reaction Score
Additionally, as Chief00 says " make aggressive hard cuts" on offense will be a big help and per hansonel-amin we need to address our ...weak inbounds plays. Why not try some motion for some players even before the ball is handed to the inbounder?
I think its allowed in most instances unless the "stack" is used. I suggest a world wide search for the best inbounds plays around.
Nothing more frustrating than a turnover on inbounding!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My season tickets are 1/2 way up lower bowl but one of my closest friends is virtually on the floor at the XL - It's cool, especially when there aren't a lot of people in the arena in the lower levels but not what people are portraying - I've been in colder facilities without ice beneath the floor.

Last night was winnable with the exception of FTs and what I consider to be a weak game management in crucial areas/times. Why does this team come out slow nearly every 2nd half and why does it take one of DH's assistants (usually Hunter) to implore with him to call a TO before the 16 minute or 12 minute TOs? I don't buy the "still learning" excuse someone mentioned - he gets too caught up with the moment and has to learn to see near and far at the same time - he's coached long enough, no matter what players he has
I thought the team, albeit shorthanded, played with a lot of spunk and were much quicker on D but did miss assignments. I think they caught UH off guard and UH came in thinking they were going to punk this UConn team. My son had my seats and he heard Sampson yelling at his bench about this is what happens when you think this was going to be easy - "you are all lazy _s today" he said during a TO
Wish we had a big that had Cobb ability to score and Josh's attitude
Polley was horrid on D as was Sid but Sid sure can jump and is so athletic - scary athletic
BA is completely lost
This team has definitely improved since the beginning of the year in terms of an overall competitive nature and you can tell these kids want to win so bad - that is good
And yes, last year I don't think they would have continued to battle in the 2nd half when falling behind by 15+ That was a joy to see
They just need a few BIG pieces on that front line - ASAP, PLEASE.....

C

Chief00

My season tickets are 1/2 way up lower bowl but one of my closest friends is virtually on the floor at the XL - It's cool, especially when there aren't a lot of people in the arena in the lower levels but not what people are portraying - I've been in colder facilities without ice beneath the floor.

Last night was winnable with the exception of FTs and what I consider to be a weak game management in crucial areas/times. Why does this team come out slow nearly every 2nd half and why does it take one of Dan Hurley's assistants (usually Hunter) to implore with him to call a TO before the 16 minute or 12 minute TOs? I don't buy the "still learning" excuse someone mentioned - he gets too caught up with the moment and has to learn to see near and far at the same time - he's coached long enough, no matter what players he has
I thought the team, albeit shorthanded, played with a lot of spunk and were much quicker on D but did miss assignments. I think they caught UH off guard and UH came in thinking they were going to punk this UConn team. My son had my seats and he heard Sampson yelling at his bench about this is what happens when you think this was going to be easy - "you are all lazy _s today" he said during a TO
Polley was horrid on D as was Sid but Sid sure can jump and is so athletic - scary athletic
BA is completely lost
This team has definitely improved since the beginning of the year in terms of an overall competitive nature and you can tell these kids want to win so bad - that is good
And yes, last year I don't think they would have continued to battle in the 2nd half when falling behind by 15+ That was a joy to see

That’s why the coach’s are doing the grind - Chief still believes we will have a three Bigs in this year’s recruiting haul.

C

Chief00

Additionally, as Chief00 says " make aggressive hard cuts" on offense will be a big help and per hansonel-amin we need to address our ...weak inbounds plays. Why not try some motion for some players even before the ball is handed to the inbounder?
I think its allowed in most instances unless the "stack" is used. I suggest a world wide search for the best inbounds plays around.
Nothing more frustrating than a turnover on inbounding!

Quite frankly, while sometimes the inbound pass to half court is the right play, Chief usually feels we lost on the play when that happens. It takes you out of attack mode, exposes you to turnover converted into layup risk. But, most importantly it means things aren’t working in your half court offense. Primarily your screening and hard cutting is broken. Chief always viewed it as an opportunity to score a quick basket. If they put a man on the inbounds passer then at least one guy should have a size or speed advantage to get a good shot. If they leave the inbounds guy undefended - then you quickly go back to him. Against zones you have the angle cutting from behind guys because they must decide to face the inbounder or their man. The key here is reading the defense and taking what they give you. Chief could go on about all the opportunities this offers up but I think you got the picture.

C

Chief00

Last night was winnable with the exception of FTs and what I consider to be a weak game management in crucial areas/times. Why does this team come out slow nearly every 2nd half and why does it take one of Dan Hurley's assistants (usually Hunter) to implore with him to call a TO before the 16 minute or 12 minute TOs? I don't buy the "still learning" excuse someone mentioned - he gets too caught up with the moment and has to learn to see near and far at the same time - he's coached long enough, no matter what players he has
BA is completely lost
I always liked Sampson as a coach. He’s going to do real well in Houston.

Reaction Score
What might have happened:
-if our guys could pass like Houston, especially the quick interior passes;
-if we shot 70% or better on free throws it would have put pressure on Houston too and you never know who might choke in a close game on the road; and
-if we had a Jarreau or two. His line in 22 minutes: 6 for 10, 2 for 2 on threes, 4 for 6 on FT's for18 points, and also had 7 assists and only 1 turnover.

All metrics above his season averages. Why does this seem to happen to us a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom