Chief’s Briefs - Hartford Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Hartford Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

And the Dam Breaks and recruits came and we got a talented team. But, we did not play sharpe tonight.

However, Chief is not sold on our starting lineup. Jackson and Sanogo need more time. Polley had a really hard time getting in the flow tonight. Maybe rusty from his injury but a veteran needs to know how to do things that will get you going.

How do we go over 7 minutes without a hoop or a meaningful change in strategy? I don’t understand our game plan. We keep making the same type of dumb foul over and over again.When will we start playing defense with our feet and keep the offensive player between our knees.

Sanogo continues to impress. His hands are like a vacuum sucking up the ball. Adama also uses his broad shoulders to create space on his soft baby hook.

Bouknight can make it look easy and when he hits the 3 he’s nearly impossible to defend. Quite frankly though, he needs to guard against being too non-chalant on his drives. Keep his eyes on the basket/blackboard. Have an offense when his outside shot is not falling.

On defense. Chief noticed we picked up a few feet outside the 3 line, thus Hartford seldom had an open, comfortable 3 look. The refs kept Hartford in the game - half their points came from the line.

Chief is old school, why do we double team 25 feet away from the basket, when we don’t need to in order to stop anyone - then we foul the guy who was an open man trying to recover. Our defensive switches creates mismatches that benefit the other team.

Martin hasn’t really blended in yet. He looks like an imposing specimen but quite frankly didn’t play with the energy AJ Jackson does.

Starting to see Coles as a guy we go to if Bouknight goes cold. I was surprised even given some foolish plays and fouls how come Jackson did not play more? On a night like tonight all depth is that everyone is equally cold.

Quite frankly, Chief thinks we need to establish an identity as an offensive rebounding team that crashes the boards, especially if we don’t shoot great. We need to do that, but also have to have a rotation back to the opponents basket.

Josh DNP.

We have a lot to clean up in practice.

Reaction Score
That was a disgusting game. UHart +13 on free throw attempts but -18 on points in the paint. Bouknight "foul" at the end sums it up perfectly. Win is a win

Reaction Score
Terrible game. Still salvaged a double digit win, but it was awful. I like Martin a lot. We had no paint presence on defense H2

Reaction Score
And the Dam Breaks and recruits came and we got a talented team. But, we did not play sharpe tonight.

However, Chief is not sold on our starting lineup. Jackson and Sanogo need more time. Polley had a really hard time getting in the flow tonight. Maybe rusty from his injury but a veteran needs to know how to do things that will get you going.

How do we go over 7 minutes without a hoop or a meaningful change in strategy? I don’t understand our game plan. We keep making the same type of dumb foul over and over again.When will we start playing defense with our feet and keep the offensive player between our knees.

Sanogo continues to impress. His hands are like a vacuum sucking up the ball. Adama also uses his broad shoulders to create space on his soft baby hook.

Bouknight can make it look easy and when he hits the 3 he’s nearly impossible to defend. Quite frankly though, he needs to guard against being too non-chalant on his drives. Keep his eyes on the basket/blackboard. Have an offense when his outside shot is not falling.

On defense. Chief noticed we picked up a few feet outside the 3 line, thus Hartford seldom had an open, comfortable 3 look. The refs kept Hartford in the game - half their points came from the line.

Chief is old school, why do we double team 25 feet away from the basket, when we don’t need to in order to stop anyone - then we foul the guy who was an open man trying to recover. Our defensive switches creates mismatches that benefit the other team.

Martin hasn’t really blended in yet. He looks like an imposing specimen but quite frankly didn’t play with the energy AJ Jackson does.

Starting to see Coles as a guy we go to if Bouknight goes cold. I was surprised even given some foolish plays and fouls how come Jackson did not play more? On a night like tonight all depth is that everyone is equally cold.

Quite frankly, Chief thinks we need to establish an identity as an offensive rebounding team that crashes the boards, especially if we don’t shoot great. We need to do that, but also have to have a rotation back to the opponents basket.

Josh DNP.

We have a lot to clean up in practice.

Martin was a beast tonight Chief. Did you watch the same game as me?

I want more Sanogo and Jackson vs Adams and Polley right now.

Wouldn't be against some mimutes with Whaley/Sanogo together vs big teams if we're going to shoot like crap anyways.

Reaction Score
Polley can’t move his feet on defense yet.
Bouknight and Cole couldn’t stay in front of anyone tonight.
off-game for most of the team.
martin can rebound welll
thank god for Zay aka Porkchop, aka Poppers, aka the wrench, aka the squirrel

Reaction Score
I approve your briefings. I have to say just this:
I will allow the excuse of being off two weeks to be the reason. But I am watching and waiting for improvement as the competition also improves. Coach Hurley, let's do this!! But sorry, I think Polley needs to come off bench for now.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you watched the same game that I did in regards to Jackson and Martin. Martin made the right reads, had a couple impressive finishes, rebounded well.

Jackson played out of control and fouled anyone in his remote vicinity.

Reaction Score
Well said Chief about playing D with their feet. Too many fouls using their hands and arms to defend.

Disagree about Martin though. I thought he played well and hit the boards hard. Not flashy but did his job.

Whaley should be mentioned as the Player of the Game. Double double, 5 blocks and led the team in assists. Back to his late season form from last year.

Reaction Score
Whaley almost single handedly won this game for us. Pretty hideous game outside of his play. Happy to get a win though.

Bouknight was electric at the start of the game. Thought he was going for 40.

Whaley and Martin won the game for us together imo. The Martin to Whaley run out assist was the nail in the coffin

Reaction Score
Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, Martin, Whaley should be the starting lineup. Highlights everyone's strengths and has plenty of rebounding from the 4/5.

Adams and Polley are going to be important but if they're not shooting well there needs to be a much quicker hook

Reaction Score
Gaffney, Whaley, & Martin did a nice job of keeping us from getting into a real bad situation in the last ~8 minutes or so.

Sanogo showed CCSU was no fluke.

Other than the first few minutes, Bouk had a horrible offensive and defensive game.

Refs called the game wayyyy too right, but bad defensive efforts all around was the main contributor to the fouls.

Such is life/basketball in COVID times. I’m just happy I got to watch UConn MBB win. We could haveended up with a day like Virginia!

Reaction Score
That was a disgusting game. UHart +13 on free throw attempts but -18 on points in the paint. Bouknight "foul" at the end sums it up perfectly. Win is a win
I’ll agree. I expect plenty of mistakes but that was a low intensity effort, and DH didn’t use the hook nearly enough for lazy mental mistakes. These guys are going to have to step it up against better quality competition.

Reaction Score
We see the same thing every year. The defense guarding guys 30 feet from the basket. Picking up cheap fouls or letting the opposing guards get by them. The defense is much better when we relax and drop back a little. The exaggerated overplay almost always gets us in trouble. Relaxing the pressure just a bit would make us much more effective.

Adams killed us tonight. He is the one player on the court playing hero ball.

Cole is still too sloppy with the ball. He had 4 TOs versus CCSU. He had, at least, two in the first half tonight. Not a good trend.

This game was custom made for Carlton in the second half. A few minutes would might have kept Sanogo out of foul trouble. Hurley must have Josh really deep in the doghouse.

Reaction Score
We see the same thing every year. The defense guarding guys 30 feet from the basket. Picking up cheap fouls or letting the opposing guards get by them. The defense is much better when we relax and drop back a little. The exaggerated overplay almost always gets us in trouble. Relaxing the pressure just a bit would make us much more effective.

Adams killed us tonight. He is the one player on the court playing hero ball.

Cole is still too sloppy with the ball. He had 4 TOs versus CCSU. He had, at least, two in the first half tonight. Not a good trend.

This game was custom made for Carlton in the second half. A few minutes would might have kept Sanogo out of foul trouble. Hurley must have Josh really deep in the doghouse.

Sanogo had 0 fouls. Whaley just played really well. Wouldn't have minded them both on the floor though since Polley wouldn't even try to shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom