Chief’s Briefs - Gonzoga Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Gonzoga Edition

Reaction Score
Out celebrating the victory so I will be brief. Great win tonight and not unexpected. Our team was 100% locked in from all reports I received.
We beat the 25 year old dudes and were at another level.

Our guy Andre almost had a triple double. Hawkins got the microwave going in the second half and ended with 20.

Sanogo did not have his usual offensive efficiency but shut done Timee.

Karaban played solid throughout and Joey C and Alleyne totaled 16 points off the bench.

I love this team such good people and players and you know Chief is honest about the good people part.

What will Jim Calhoun’s Houston send off speech be liked? I can’t wait and can only image.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This team plays like a python constricting the opponent. It's not a sudden death, it's the slow, methodical defense clamping down and gradually moving the score to out of reach range.
See also, kill the frog by gradually increasing temperature, not throwing it in to a boiling pot.

36-32 and then there's a 3 to close out first half scoring. Seven point lead. A Karaban bucket and Hawkins 3 in the first minute and all of a sudden a manageable 7 point game becomes a 12 point deficit.

Over next two minutes UConn goes on an 8-2 run and all of a sudden it's 52-34.

Then it's the kill shot. 8-0 run to make it 60-37 with 13:45 to play and Gonzaga has to play the rest of the game in Hail Mary mode.

Just wait for opponent to exhale and squeeze a bit tighter.

Reaction Score
I like the python comparison. The other thing this team is doing now is not letting up.

The great JC always said one of the hardest things to teach a team is to teach them to develop that killer instinct. He often referred to keeping your foot on the other guys throat or neck and not letting them up. It was Hurley who had to call the dogs off and tell the to heel with about 8 minutes left.

Still, the team didn't really shoot 'great' and they had a 30+ lead late in the 2nd half. I know Gonzaga didn't shoot well and it had a lot to do with the Huskies defense, but even if they shot 50% from 3, that would be 24 more points, and they still come up short.

Reaction Score
F Barkley ;)
we are rolliing , we will see his next analysis
Good point that’s the anslysis Nomar heard that Gonzaga
All while doing the high hedge. Without doing double bigs.

Because it works. Because it is correct.

I want you to admit it, Chief. Admit it!
It works when your opponent shoots 2-20 from 3. (10%)
The problem is that’s tough to depend on.

Reaction Score
This team plays like a python constricting the opponent. It's not a sudden death, it's the slow, methodical defense clamping down and gradually moving the score to out of reach range.
See also, kill the frog by gradually increasing temperature, not throwing it in to a boiling pot.

36-32 and then there's a 3 to close out first half scoring. Seven point lead. A Karaban bucket and Hawkins 3 in the first minute and all of a sudden a manageable 7 point game becomes a 12 point deficit.

Over next two minutes UConn goes on an 8-2 run and all of a sudden it's 52-34.

Then it's the kill shot. 8-0 run to make it 60-37 with 13:45 to play and Gonzaga has to play the rest of the game in Hail Mary mode.

Just wait for opponent to exhale and squeeze a bit tighter.
FYI. If no one’s watching. Innocent looking Karaban is a stone cold killer. How many buzzer beaters in the last 100 days?

Reaction Score
Subsequent reporting regarding UConn being locked in.
01E7695B-E271-4938-BE5D-6910E7E31571.jpeg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Good point that’s the anslysis Nomar heard that Gonzaga

It works when your opponent shoots 2-20 from 3. (10%)
The problem is that’s tough to depend on.

Over the last two months, UConn's opponents are shooting 30% from three.

Its not tough to depend on. Its the expectation.

Reaction Score
@zls44 - There’s a difference between shooting 30% from 3 vs 10%. If you take 20 threes:
10% = 6 points
30% = 18 points
So that’s a meaningful 12 point swing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr