Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As a result, Sanogo played 19 minutes. When that happens against a good team, it’s very difficult for us to win. Chief recognizes our beloved Casual Fans sometimes take comfort in playing checkers, while Chief is playing Chess. So I get it we won today, but Chief wants to win deep into March and dreams of winning in April. So that’s my point of reference.
Out of curiosity who is it that you are playing chess against?

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity who is it that you are playing chess against?
I understand but Chief is not about calling out any well meaning fan in particular. It does frustrate me that some don’t see the dominos fall from an early high hedging pointless foul by Sanogo. The risk reward is just not there in our favor. Today was a perfect example and if we played a better team it would have been devastating. We did not need Adama today, but against good teams he will be needed.
Now as for the coaching staff, sometimes stubborn is good but the ability to change is always necessary if you are to achieve excellence.

Reaction Score
Ah Chief two of Adama's first half fouls were not because of the hedge but were offensive. I think you are beginning to beat that dead horse a bit too much
To beat a dead horse, the risk/reward isn’t there on high-hedging but it is on offense. We need that 20 point - 12 rebound game - so if he picks up a foul doing that I can live with it as he did after the Jackson pass on the break. However, we can survive with him perhaps not getting a steal from a guard 25 feet away, if that actually happens. So don’t engage in that activity.
Chief keeps searching for a better way to explain this to fans, although admittedly it’s frustrating since to me the impact on the game today could have been devastating against a better team. We need to be able to learn from this without having to lose the game. But, many of our beloved casual fans are linear, if we won, everything is fine. There are no lessons to learn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since the main person pushing the hedge appears to be coach Hurley does that make him a casual fan that things linearly?
Many here have identified things DH needs to improve upon, so maybe they're on to something...........

Reaction Score
Since the main person pushing the hedge appears to be coach Hurley does that make him a casual fan that things linearly?
Good question. I do think it’s a real test for Danny playing a higher level of competition than when he was at Wagner and URI. That level doesn’t typically have good Bigs. So you have a 6-7 guy at center who might be able to defend multiple positions on the High Hedge or a 6-9 guy whose not very good and it’s not a big deal if he gets in foul trouble. But, we have a 6-10 240pd star or a 7-2 250 pd top recruit next season. For those guys you want to use their fouls in the paint and not waste them chasing down a guard 25 feet from the hoop.

Maybe this will help the Casual Fan understand. Calhoun press helped him win some games early in his UConn tenure. However, as we got better players and played even better national teams. He realized they could prepare for it and break it and score easy hoops and that he had the talent that needed to stay on the floor and not pick up the fouls pressing could create. So he wasn’t stubborn and changed. Doesn’t mean what he did previously was wrong given the situation then but things changed as did he. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That level doesn’t typically have good Bigs. So you have a 6-7 guy at center who might be able to defend multiple positions on the High Hedge or a 6-9 guy whose not very good and it’s not a big deal if he gets in foul trouble. But, we have a 6-10 240pd star
to be fair adama is closer to 6'7 than 6'10. maybe it's got hurley thinking he's still at URI haha.

Reaction Score
to be fair adama is closer to 6'7 than 6'10. maybe it's got hurley thinking he's still at URI haha.
Ok - that is your assignment. Adama’s true height. I would guess 6-8.5. Are you measuring in sneakers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom