Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

Reaction Score
What a homecoming for Jordan Hawkins! Love the way he took it to the basket, which will create space for his jumper. He played crisp and efficient, the way Chief likes the game to be played. It was good that Danny rode the hot hand off the bench, something he hadn’t always done this season. So good growth in that respect too. Chief hopes Jordan is ok - he was just starting to feel comfortable and defining his role.

Chief thought we search for the open man on offense, playing unselfish and generally not forcing our offense. Cole, Martin and Whaley played well with Hawkins and Polley giving added scoring off the bench. Both took the ball to the basket coming off the bench, which puts the pressure on the defense.

One thing good about our defense is we have players who can defend multiple positions (Jackson Jr, Whaley and Martin come to mind), however Adama Sanogo is not one of them. He is a good post defender and shot blocker after someone’s guy gets beat. But hopefully today will be the exclamation mark to end using him on the high hedge 25 feet from the basket. Against a better team that quick early foul would have put us on a tailspin and he would have missed valuable time, which would likely result in a loss.

We expose Adama to foul risk blocking shots, post defense, being our primary offensive option and rebounding. He will pick up fouls of necessity doing those things, we can’t afford him picking up fouls doing something that has little upside return. As it was, Danny had to roll the dice and put him back in and that made him pick up his third foul in the first half and then foul out.

Hats off to Tyrese Martin, collecting 12 rebounds in the first half with Adama on the bench due to the high hedge foul. That was critical someone picked up the rebounding slack with Adama out.

In games like this we are given the luxury of having some weaknesses exposed without leaving with the loss. In that spirit in addition to the Adama high hedge foul, we did a poor job defending the dribble. Need to get in a lower defensive stance and keep the dribbler between our knees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The first foul on the hedge was foreshadowing for his day. He was out of sync today. My bigger concern is our bench. Akok despite injury just looks lost in defense. I know he missed practice but I feel he is not on the same page at this point. Really pulling for him. Johnson couldn’t hold a ball in his few minutes and diggins really concerns me. I get the lack of playing time, I really do. But 2 minutes and 2/3 turnovers against gtown? Let them rally right back in. I actually was praying for gaffney(?) to bring the ball up. I am surely rooting for all of our guys and especially our next batch of young guys, but this has got to explain the lack of court time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The junkyard dogs, Whaley and Martin came through in different ways
Hawkins is going to get better simply because he is seeing PT. Sool looked like Hawkins earlier this year - who knows where he would be today had DH given him the opportunity. As Ive said before, this may have some impact on recruiting.
Polley was much more aggressive and I like that but his D is bad.
Sanogo - not a good look at all. Fortunately UConn could afford that type of effort and concentration level vs Gtown but not against any future opponents this season.
A win is a win but the last 7 minutes were cringe worthy
On to Creighton - that is a must win for sure
I think UConn will be ok going forward - there's a lot of talent on the floor but the BB IQ has to be better

Reaction Score
It was responsible for Sanogo's 1st foul today. It was also responsible for multiple turnovers and Sanogo was still doing it while in foul trouble. It's not going away.

Reaction Score
I should have mentioned what a solid game Andre Jackson Jr had dishing out 6 assists with 0 turnovers. Andre was 4 of 4 from the field and played some good defense other than some ill advised fouls. Over-all, very poise and efficient game. A game that gives the coaching staff lots of confidence and comfort level playing him. One thing about Andre, he told to improve x, y & x and guess what he gets in the gym and works to get better at those things.

Reaction Score
The high hedge is not going away, Chief. Its highly effective and disruptive…and even Brew and the casual fans know this.

Sanogo is getting better and better at it. Trust the Process. Brew does.
Not arguing it anymore, what happen today is what happened.

Reaction Score
It was responsible for Sanogo's 1st foul today. It was also responsible for multiple turnovers and Sanogo was still doing it while in foul trouble. It's not going away.
LOL - you realize Georgetown only had 9 total turnovers and 45% of them (4) were by their center. In comparison we had 16.

Reaction Score
LOL - you realize Georgetown only had 9 total turnovers and 45% of them (4) were by their center. In comparison we had 16.
I do, which is why I didn't say all of them were. I could back and show you but you're so willfully blind on this it's not worth the effort

Reaction Score
The junkyard dogs, Whaley and Martin came through in different ways
Hawkins is going to get better simply because he is seeing PT. Sool looked like Hawkins earlier this year - who knows where he would be today had DH given him the opportunity. As Ive said before, this may have some impact on recruiting.
Polley was much more aggressive and I like that but his D is bad.
Sanogo - not a good look at all. Fortunately UConn could afford that type of effort and concentration level vs Gtown but not against any future opponents this season.
A win is a win but the last 7 minutes were cringe worthy
On to Creighton - that is a must win for sure
I think UConn will be ok going forward - there's a lot of talent on the floor but the BB IQ has to be better
I like the “junkyard dogs” characterization of Whaley and Martin’s play. I agree with your thoughts about Polley on defense. Pre injury while not considered a good post defender or rebounder - I remember that he was considered a respectable defender, who could sometimes shut guys down. Am I remembering this wrong or has he lost some lateral ability or something else?

Reaction Score
I do, which is why I didn't say all of them were. I could back and show you but you're so willfully blind on this it's not worth the effort
Take the center turnovers out that were unlikely related to hedging and you have a total of 5 turnovers left. Minus out ones, driving to the hoop, careless passing or dribbling and math says there’s hardly any left. LOL This is not even a serious discussion.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, while Chief’s eye always identified potential upside in Hawkins, even when he played poorly. I have not identified that high ceiling upside yet with Diggins. Maybe I am missing something?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The high hedge is not going away, Chief. Its highly effective and disruptive…and even Brew and the casual fans know this.

I see what you did there. Nice!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's Georgetown so I take this with a grain of salt, but........

This was the best the offense has looked all season and they did it without Sanogo dominating or doing much of anything all game.

Saw more players with more open shots where they should be taking them than in most games. The Whaley 3's looked like it was natural part of the offense.

Jackson was very good all game with the ball and decision making outside the egregious error or passing to Sanogo on the break which predictably led Sanogo's third foul.

Cole let the game come to him. He had that quick burst of 8-10 points in the second half but otherwise played conductor.

Polley and Hawkins. When both them are shooting well, it really makes it difficult for the opponent to cover shooters, protect the lane and box out to prvent offensive rebound put backs.

Not a fan of the press by Ewing but like others said, these are top 100 scholarship players. They don't have to look this bad.

Reaction Score
It's Georgetown so I take this with a grain of salt, but........

This was the best the offense has looked all season and they did it without Sanogo dominating or doing much of anything all game.

Saw more players with more open shots where they should be taking them than in most games. The Whaley 3's looked like it was natural part of the offense.

Jackson was very good all game with the ball and decision making outside the egregious error or passing to Sanogo on the break which predictably led Sanogo's third foul.

Cole let the game come to him. He had that quick burst of 8-10 points in the second half but otherwise played conductor.

Polley and Hawkins. When both them are shooting well, it really makes it difficult for the opponent to cover shooters, protect the lane and box out to prvent offensive rebound put backs.

Not a fan of the press by Ewing but like others said, these are top 100 scholarship players. They don't have to look this bad.
Letting the game come to us on offense is so important, especially for this team. Of course, at the end of tight games stars may sometimes have to force the issue. But, usually it’s a good approach.

Reaction Score
As a result, Sanogo played 19 minutes. When that happens against a good team, it’s very difficult for us to win. Chief recognizes our beloved Casual Fans sometimes take comfort in playing checkers, while Chief is playing Chess. So I get it we won today, but Chief wants to win deep into March and dreams of winning in April. So that’s my point of reference.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, while Chief’s eye always identified potential upside in Hawkins, even when he played poorly. I have not identified that high ceiling upside yet with Diggins. Maybe I am missing something?
1 minute played; 2 TOs? Thank goodness we’ll have Cole back next year (hopefully) and Castle coming in the year after.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
What a homecoming for Jordan Hawkins! Love the way he took it to the basket, which will create space for his jumper. He played crisp and efficient, the way Chief likes the game to be played. It was good that Danny rode the hot hand off the bench, something he hadn’t always done this season. So good growth in that respect too. Chief hopes Jordan is ok - he was just starting to feel comfortable and defining his role.

Chief thought we search for the open man on offense, playing unselfish and generally not forcing our offense. Cole, Martin and Whaley played well with Hawkins and Polley giving added scoring off the bench. Both took the ball to the basket coming off the bench, which puts the pressure on the defense.

One thing good about our defense is we have players who can defend multiple positions (Jackson Jr, Whaley and Martin come to mind), however Adama Sanogo is not one of them. He is a good post defender and shot blocker after someone’s guy gets beat. But hopefully today will be the exclamation mark to end using him on the high hedge 25 feet from the basket. Against a better team that quick early foul would have put us on a tailspin and he would have missed valuable time, which would likely result in a loss.

We expose Adama to foul risk blocking shots, post defense, being our primary offensive option and rebounding. He will pick up fouls of necessity doing those things, we can’t afford him picking up fouls doing something that has little upside return. As it was, Danny had to roll the dice and put him back in and that made him pick up his third foul in the first half and then foul out.

Hats off to Tyrese Martin, collecting 12 rebounds in the first half with Adama on the bench due to the high hedge foul. That was critical someone picked up the rebounding slack with Adama out.

In games like this we are given the luxury of having some weaknesses exposed without leaving with the loss. In that spirit in addition to the Adama high hedge foul, we did a poor job defending the dribble. Need to get in a lower defensive stance and keep the dribbler between our knees.
Ah Chief two of Adama's first half fouls were not because of the hedge but were offensive. I think you are beginning to beat that dead horse a bit too much

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Well brewed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom