Chief’s Briefs - FSU Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - FSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly yes we did. Not sure how much of a player we were but I thought we had a small chance.

Mann is from Lowell Mass.

Had offers from FSU, BC, Florida, Iowa State, Maryland, VCU, Georgetown, Miami, Indiana, Marquette, R.I.

I find no cite of an offer from UConn

Reaction Score
Hamilton said that he was impressed by the Husky defense....said it took the Noles out of their regular offense.

Called it a "rock 'em, sock 'em....old Big East type of game"

FSU is ranked #5 in the ACC (KenPom)...this physical game will be good prep for playing the conference schedule.

UConn will play in the tournament this year....not as dark as some are making it....this team will wgames in the AAC>
I still have them finishing second in a very competitive and ugly division battle. Lots of losses in conference for everyone but we at prevail.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I fear that it may take a near-complete roster overhaul, or at the very least more than a full season of coaching.
I think we do have some culture issues that lingered after the staff change. I hope it will improve as the season progresses but I think it will be better next season.

C

Chief00

Maybe it's a good game if both fan bases think that the refs were hammering their team....

And both teams got hammered...and both fan bases are focussing on the calls against them this morning.

It was a very choppy refereed game. Bad for both teams. Too many fouls , too many hook and hold stoppages. I can only think refs are being evaluated wrong - so this is what they call. Thank you Mark Emmett for this officiating disaster this season.

C

Chief00

Mann is from Lowell Mass.

Had offers from FSU, BC, Florida, Iowa State, Maryland, VCU, Georgetown, Miami, Indiana, Marquette, R.I.

I find no cite of an offer from UConn

Man we could have use Mann.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think we do have some culture issues that lingered after the staff change. I hope it will improve as the season progresses but I think it will be better next season.

Keeping with the season, I mentioned this game had a feel of a Christmas Carol.

Saw too much of the Ghost of Christmas Past.
Saw glimpses of the Ghost of Christmas Future.
Mostly saw the Ghost of Christmas Present.

Against higher level competition that bad habits that weren't corrected come out in higher percentages. Not surprising. In competition you are more likely to revert to habits you've learned over time.

Hurley is instilling better habits but the upperclassmen are the hardest to change since they have the most time with the bad habits.

My quick key for bad/good habits. Watching players when they catch the ball. Good habit is they are squared to the hoop in the traditional triple threat position. Bad habit is they are a bit slow and immediately put the ball on the floor for a few dribbles to get their sense of bearing on the offensive sets.

Second key is watching the next 3 possessions after UConn builds a bit of a lead. Yesterday they were up, I believe it was 9-3, and they blew the next few possessions. They had the chance to open up a double digit lead within the first four minutes and they wasted them on low pressure turnovers, fouls and poor shots.

Reaction Score
I really think free throw shooting could have made the difference. With Shabazz team, free throws were a given. Now, games could be lost because even the best guard can't be relied on to make his free throws. As for Cobb, he really needs some schoolin' on his free throw shooting. He misses could have been the difference in the game. I not saying it was, but it contributed.

Reaction Score
To beat the better teams, we need to stop beating ourselves with careless turnovers, poor open shooting and silly fouls. We really work hard and commit fouls to turn over the other team while we give them these gifts. We also bail out the other team too often with dumb fouls. Since we are less talented than these teams, we need to eliminate these mental errors so we can pull some upsets.
So far, Hurley’s sideline act has gotten us to play harder but has been unsuccessful with the refs. Not sure where these refs were from and to me the issue last night was choppiness for both teams. However, against Iowa and Arizona his style was counterproductive and he needs to adjust.

Just a thought, at Wagner and URI he
he had primarily Northeast refs, who may be more comfortable with the style?
Whatever change was made with the hook and hold rule needs to be deleted. Is it called in our games more than others or is this a national disaster?
I am all in on Danny, Chief. I think he is a good or really good coach. I also think he may, just may be trying to fill the other Irish guy's shoes that he hasn't grown into yet. He can chill a little on the sideline for now me thinks.

Reaction Score
I really think free throw shooting could have made the difference. With Shabazz team, free throws were a given. Now, games could be lost because even the best guard can't be relied on to make his free throws. As for Cobb, he really needs some schoolin' on his free throw shooting. He misses could have been the difference in the game. I not saying it was, but it contributed.
Cobb needs to step back a foot. Done. I’ve solved his ft issues. Your welcome Eric!!
He back irons everything barring an occasional side rim.

Reaction Score
When Cobb was shooting free throws he looked like he was trying to make them at the Country Fair arcade where making shots is strangely difficult.

Reaction Score
We, the rabid fans, have just got to be patient. 10 games into the Hurley era and we are way better than the last two years. We obviously need bigger and better players to get back to being championship caliber, and I for one am confident Hurley will get those guys. But for now, I am satisfied with the marked improvement in everything and the recruiting Hurley is doing.

Reaction Score
We, the rabid fans, have just got to be patient. 10 games into the Hurley era and we are way better than the last two years. We obviously need bigger and better players to get back to being championship caliber, and I for one am confident Hurley will get those guys. But for now, I am satisfied with the marked improvement in everything and the recruiting Hurley is doing.
I hope you are not just tilting at windmills:oops:

Reaction Score
I think that UConn could use a big C. An inside presence. They are developing one if the weight room can add muscle. But could use one in the upcoming class. Akok, as a 6' 10 PF , may help with the front court.

I know that coaches run with different philosophies....some emphasize offenses with shooting guards and others may emphasize defense with shot blockers inside with a lot of length.

UConn and FSU are very close on class rankings so far for the 2019 class....but the recruits look different.

Of the four signed LOI's, Hamilton has signed a 7'0 240 lb and a 7'3 230 lb Center. He will recruit a big guy who may be a project.

To me, the best of both worlds is to have a couple of great outside gunners and a big in the front court.

Reaction Score
I think that UConn could use a big C. An inside presence. They are developing one if the weight room can add muscle. But could use one in the upcoming class. Akok, as a 6' 10 PF , may help with the front court.

I know that coaches run with different philosophies....some emphasize offenses with shooting guards and others may emphasize defense with shot blockers inside with a lot of length.

UConn and FSU are very close on class rankings so far for the 2019 class....but the recruits look different.

Of the four signed LOI's, Hamilton has signed a 7'0 240 lb and a 7'3 230 lb Center. He will recruit a big guy who may be a project.

To me, the best of both worlds is to have a couple of great outside gunners and a big in the front court.
As much as I hate to agree with you, you are correct. FSU guys looked bigger and stronger.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate to agree with you, you are correct. FSU guys looked bigger and stronger.
Seems like it's been that way for a long time. I'll never forget what Bob Hurley Sr. said at his son's introductory press conference about how weak the team looked. Hopefully Alosi works wonders with all the players that come into the program.

Reaction Score
To beat the better teams, we need to stop beating ourselves with careless turnovers, poor open shooting and silly fouls. We really work hard and commit fouls to turn over the other team while we give them these gifts. We also bail out the other team too often with dumb fouls. Since we are less talented than these teams, we need to eliminate these mental errors so we can pull some upsets.
So far, Hurley’s sideline act has gotten us to play harder but has been unsuccessful with the refs. Not sure where these refs were from and to me the issue last night was choppiness for both teams. However, against Iowa and Arizona his style was counterproductive and he needs to adjust.

Just a thought, at Wagner and URI he
he had primarily Northeast refs, who may be more comfortable with the style?
Whatever change was made with the hook and hold rule needs to be deleted. Is it called in our games more than others or is this a national disaster?
A Chief should not be angry.

C

Chief00

A Chief should not be angry.

Trying to understand better - why did you think my post was angry?
It was intended to be a very analytical assessment of things. My only objective is to get better - which to me is positive.

Reaction Score
Trying to understand better - why did you think my post was angry?
It was intended to be a very analytical assessment of things. My only objective is to get better - which to me is positive.
I will say this. Missing open shots sucks. But we are running an offense that is getting open shots as compared to last year. Things are improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom