Chief’s Briefs - ECU Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - ECU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carlton was an absolute beast today. 20 and 16 plus some blocked shots and a beautiful interior pass to The Athlete for a dunk. His best game as a Husky, and probably one of the best games ever for a Husky Sophomore center, even if it was against ECU.

Polley impressed me today as well. I think lots of fans gave up on him way to soon.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice ECU called timeout after vital’s steal/dunk, yet it was never taken off the scoreboard? Maybe it was just an error on the ESPN score updated, not on the official books? I know it’s small potatoes in today’s game or final score, but bothered me throughout the rest of the half.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He came out looking like he was trying to dribble an 8 sided dice today. Kudos to Hurley for sticking with him and to Badams for making a few plays as as the game progressed. Wish he finished that dunk.

That dunk would have been something.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice ECU called timeout after vital’s steal/dunk, yet it was never taken off the scoreboard? Maybe it was just an error on the ESPN score updated, not on the official books? I know it’s small potatoes in today’s game or final score, but bothered me throughout the rest of the half.

I did, or at least I knew they missed one. Don’t know if the table had it right but the scoreboard was wrong and I finally asked someone how many timeouts do they get.

Reaction Score
2020 and 2021 are huge in terms of recruiting. Could completely flop or be a ranked team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Carleton has been a beast going on five games now. He has always had great hands and holds the ball high. But now he demands the ball and frames himself to receive it down low. This is the second game in a row where teams are doubling every time he gets the ball. His pass to Wilson really got my attention.

But what really has me excited is his defense. Something clicked for him five games ago. He not only watches his player but pays attention to the ball movement. Countless times he stops drives at the top of the key, something Alex O. was decent at and Cobb is unable to do.

He’s getting very good with his defense of the pick and roll and week side defense. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a big who is fundamentally sound with every aspect of defense.

And not since Kentan’s freshman year has there been a big who is effective on offense with missed shots.
back around t-giving, pops said josh reminds him of wes unseld. I checked that guy out. he good. pops knows ball.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Slowly Tyler Polley is becoming our Niels Giffey. He’s starting to be effective driving to the basket, has the three point shot and is effective guarding opposing teams best players. The comradeship between him and Carleton at the end of the game was terrific.
Man, I hope you are right. Niels was one of my favorite player. He knew the game well. Quiet kid. Made some dagger three's.

Reaction Score
Just realized Chillious is on staff for ECU....must be a little weird for him

Reaction Score
Biggest surprise this season BY FAR is Polley as a straight up shutdown defender. No one absolutely NO ONE called this or could have predicted it.

He's still pretty bad on D. Nearly unplayable at time. Hes good if his defender cant face up, and isnt too heavy. Then he can bother with his length. Two good nights recently are encouraging, though. Something to build on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just realized Chillious is on staff for ECU....must be a little weird for him

basketball diaco.

washington to uconn to east carolina to seton hill

Reaction Score
Slowly Tyler Polley is becoming our Niels Giffey. He’s starting to be effective driving to the basket, has the three point shot and is effective guarding opposing teams best players. The comradeship between him and Carleton at the end of the game was terrific.

I know it’s only ECU, but I loved watching Carlton and Polley after they came out. The crowd gave Carlton a well-deserved hand. I’m enjoying his improvement.

C

Chief00

Clearly a premature take, Mr. Chief. So many positives overlooked or passed over with barely a mention. Probably the most promising one-game performance we have seen yet from next year's returnees -- Wilson's shooting eye, Polley's continued strong defense and offensive aggressiveness, Carlton's array of moves underneath, even Brendan's confident ball-handling. A 24-point win without Gilbert and without a single point from Jalen. There will be downers from here, no doubt, but this is the game we will look back on where the pieces all came together -- or at least we saw how they might..

Other than B. Adams, Chief had those dudes covered. Particularly, Sid and Josh were highlighted.

Reaction Score
He's still pretty bad on D. Nearly unplayable at time. Hes good if his defender cant face up, and isnt too heavy. Then he can bother with his length. Two good nights recently are encouraging, though. Something to build on.

He is getting better on D. Carlton is as well. Both are very long, yet not necessarily athletic, and length is important when you learn how to use it, which is happening for both guys. But I agree that Polley is not close to a lockdown defender.

Reaction Score
For those keeping score at home...UConn scores 75 points today which was 4 more than Virginia Tech and NC State COMBINED yesterday. By the way, those are both somehow top 25 teams...

C

Chief00

back around t-giving, pops said josh reminds him of wes unseld. I checked that guy out. he good. pops knows ball.

Chief doesn’t get the Wes Unseld comparison to Josh. Wes was built like a tank and was so strong he had a two handed outlet pass from above his head that he could easily send with velocity down the court. He could also set a bone crushing screen.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Carlton was awesome. Would like to see him put it together against a really good team, but he's definitely improving and I think he could be a nice piece for us the next two years. On top of strong defense and all the post moves, that pass to a cutting Sidney Wilson for the dunk was a thing of beauty.

Speaking of Sid, it was great to see his shot start to fall. I noticed on both 3s that he put more of an arc on those shots, and both looked beautiful leaving his hand. His shot earlier in the year was very flat and you could tell right away that it probably wasn't going to go in. Nice to see him putting in the work, and hopefully he can start to make other teams pay with that shot -- at least enough to open up driving lanes for him.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t get the Wes Unseld comparison to Josh. Wes was built like a tank and was so strong he had a two handed outlet pass from above his head that he could easily send with velocity down the court. He could also set a bone crushing screen.

unseld 6'7, 245
carlton 6'10 235
good hands, good brain.
2nd year of college career; fg% -unseld 54%, carlton 63%
to be fair, the data is heavily in favor of unseld as he played much more, and was a highly accomplished college player, but watching old vids of him makes me agree with dad and how both have a similar 'look' on the floor. the observation is far more a 'feel' thing than a 'data' thing.

C

Chief00

unseld 6'7, 245
carlton 6'10 235
good hands, good brain.
2nd year of college career; fg% -unseld 54%, carlton 63%
to be fair, the data is heavily in favor of unseld as he played much more, and was a highly accomplished college player, but watching old vids of him makes me agree with dad and how both have a similar 'look' on the floor. the observation is far more a 'feel' thing than a 'data' thing.
Josh is more lanky compared to Wes’s broad shoulders, shorter arms and wider base. Wes couldn’t be moved in the post by an opponent. He was very strong. Between being taller and having longer arms - Josh has more length.
On a good day, Josh reminds me of Josh - Josh Boone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom