Chief’s Briefs - Drexel Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Drexel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think the pre-game warm-up was sloppy-some coach should be observing this and we should be more focused. Guys cutting lines (JA) shirts out etc.. during the game doesn't get any points with the refs. either. Sloppy. Why no spotlight on Uconn players during intro of starting lineups? On a positive note thought the defense was improved last nite.

Reaction Score
Sheesh, really? I clearly didn't conclude anything. And you're wrong, UConn got outrebounded in this one. You're coming off a bit casual fan-ish. Casuals only see the superficial end result while the true fan is detail-oriented and nothing escapes their discerning gaze. My first attempt channeling my inner Chief. I hope I pulled it off.

I would suggest that you watch a replay of the game. I don't think you will come away thinking that we got killed on the boards. We may have lost the rebounding battle by something like five rebounds but that was so insignificant in the grand scheme of things that really was never a concern. That's all I was trying to save from the beginning

Reaction Score
Mike and Wayne are doing an excellent job so far this year on espn radio. Mike is strong at play by play and coaches show.

Reaction Score
Mike and Wayne are doing an excellent job so far this year on espn radio. Mike is strong at play by play and coaches show.
Good extended talk with Tom Moore after the game, while I drove home. Insightful and probably over ten minutes long

Reaction Score
I would suggest that you watch a replay of the game. I don't think you will come away thinking that we got killed on the boards. We may have lost the rebounding battle by something like five rebounds but that was so insignificant in the grand scheme of things that really was never a concern. That's all I was trying to save from the beginning

You're just not remotely getting my original point. Obviously it didn't amount to a hill of beans in this particular game, that's not what I was suggesting at all. Let's just consider the matter closed why don't we?

caw

Reaction Score
I don’t want to kill the mood of a primarily positive thread but looking at the box score, we allowed offensive rebounds on half of their misses. That’s really terrible. I couldn’t get the game down here, were there a lot of crazy bounces off missed 3’s? Did we get outworked?

Just digging into the Play-by-Play a bit on this:

UConn had 6 blocks. 2 in the first half, 4 in the second half. The two in the first half ended as defensive rebounds, the 4 in the second half ended as offensive rebounds. Two of those four were attributed to team offensive rebounds, so I assume they were blocked out of bounds by UConn. Drexel converted those 4 ORs in the second half into 4 points.

Drexel was 3/16 on 3PTA`s, or 13 available rebounds here. They got ORs on 5 of those attempts for 2 points. Two of those were attributed to team offensive rebounds.

Drexel was 12/18 on FTs with 5 being rebounds and 1 being the first of two. UConn got all five DRs.

Drexel was 22/43 on 2PTA`s including 6 being blocked, so excluding blocked shots, they were 22/37. Or 15 available rebounds. They rebounded 8 of those attempts for 11 points.

So overall they got 17 ORs for 17 points. UConn only did well on rebounding FTs and defending after Drexel got the OR.

Drexel got 8 1st half ORs and 9 second half ORs. 3 of the second half ORs were in the final 10 minutes when the game was about 30 points.

UConn only had 24 missed FGAs and 2 reboundable FTAs, 8 ORs isn`t horrible.

They had one block and got the DR.

UConn was 10/17 from 3 and got 2 ORs for 4 points.

UConn was 15/21 on FTAs with 2 being rebounds (DRs for Drexel) and 4 being the first of two.

UConn was 26/43 on 2PTA`s including 1 blocked. So excluding the block UConn was 26/42. Or 16 available rebounds. UConn got 6 ORs on twos for 14 points. UConn actually converted on every OR this game for 18 points on 8 ORs (2 three pointers, 4 free throws and 4 two pointers).

Overall, I would say their missing threes for longer rebounds combined with UConn going for blocks did contribute a decent amount to their ORs.

Reaction Score
The problem with this point of view is that a team can always try to win some statistical category other than points. If a team tries to win "offensive rebounds" by sending 5 to the glass and gives up 20 transition points for every 6 points they make off offensive rebounds, then you will gladly let them win the offensive rebounding contest in exchange for you winning the points contest by 32 points.

So, you can't judge performance based on a single secondary stat. It is too strongly impacted by style of play. You have to observe the actual game and judge whether UConn players executed the things they were trying to accomplish. If UConn's strategy was defensive rebounding with 2 guys, having one ready to receive the outlet, and leaking 2 for the fast break, and Drexel's strategy was crashing the offensive glass, then you have to judge the players on whether they executed their strategy well, and the coaches on whether that was the right strategy.
True, very valid point. I guess I was more trying to say that even through a dominate win, you can’t just say “picking out flaws is pointless”. There’s something to be learned by watching any game film

Reaction Score
You watched that game and in your eyes it wasn't a "total domination"?
No your right, it was a total team domination. The game was never in doubt, that’s not what I’m saying. There was a time in the second half where I was frustrated with the easy out back layups. I’m sure when watching the game film, something will be said about having 2-3 guys going for a block and leaving the weak side wide open.

On the flip side, would you want to see Villanova with easy second chance layups all game?

ETA: every opponent and every stat matters, or nothing matters. Hurley doesn’t stop coaching up 35, so saying “nitpicking stats in a 35 point win is pointless” is very very dangerous. That’s all I was saying in response to huskybass.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just digging into the Play-by-Play a bit on this:

UConn had 6 blocks. 2 in the first half, 4 in the second half. The two in the first half ended as defensive rebounds, the 4 in the second half ended as offensive rebounds. Two of those four were attributed to team offensive rebounds, so I assume they were blocked out of bounds by UConn. Drexel converted those 4 ORs in the second half into 4 points.

Drexel was 3/16 on 3PTA`s, or 13 available rebounds here. They got ORs on 5 of those attempts for 2 points. Two of those were attributed to team offensive rebounds.

Drexel was 12/18 on FTs with 5 being rebounds and 1 being the first of two. UConn got all five DRs.

Drexel was 22/43 on 2PTA`s including 6 being blocked, so excluding blocked shots, they were 22/37. Or 15 available rebounds. They rebounded 8 of those attempts for 11 points.

So overall they got 17 ORs for 17 points. UConn only did well on rebounding FTs and defending after Drexel got the OR.

Drexel got 8 1st half ORs and 9 second half ORs. 3 of the second half ORs were in the final 10 minutes when the game was about 30 points.

UConn only had 24 missed FGAs and 2 reboundable FTAs, 8 ORs isn`t horrible.

They had one block and got the DR.

UConn was 10/17 from 3 and got 2 ORs for 4 points.

UConn was 15/21 on FTAs with 2 being rebounds (DRs for Drexel) and 4 being the first of two.

UConn was 26/43 on 2PTA`s including 1 blocked. So excluding the block UConn was 26/42. Or 16 available rebounds. UConn got 6 ORs on twos for 14 points. UConn actually converted on every OR this game for 18 points on 8 ORs (2 three pointers, 4 free throws and 4 two pointers).

Overall, I would say their missing threes for longer rebounds combined with UConn going for blocks did contribute a decent amount to their ORs.

Dude, Mr. Caw, terrific observations. Any chance of you showing up regularly in Chief's Brief's to enlighten the rest of us, me in particular, with similarly comprehensive boxscore breakdowns? Very good reading, paints a very clear picture.

Reaction Score
No your right, it was a total team domination. The game was never in doubt, that’s not what I’m saying. There was a time in the second half where I was frustrated with the easy out back layups. I’m sure when watching the game film, something will be said about having 2-3 guys going for a block and leaving the weak side wide open.

On the flip side, would you want to see Villanova with easy second chance layups all game?

ETA: every opponent and every stat matters, or nothing matters. Hurley doesn’t stop coaching up 35, so saying “nitpicking stats in a 35 point win is pointless” is very very dangerous. That’s all I was saying in response to huskybass.

I understand what you are saying, I really do and I think both Geno and Hurley expect excellence in all facets of the game no matter the score. My point is once the outcome is sealed, lots of things can change which may skew the stats a bit. For example, end of the bench guys might get extended minutes.

That said, I would never underestimate the importance of rebounding, especially against Nova or another quality team. Theres just so much less margain for error. So I get where you guys are coming from. I have concerns about our rebounding in general, but to the eye test Monday night wasnt cause for concern by itself. However, I wish one of our bigs would emerge as a solid, consistent rebounder. Vital shouldnt be leading the team in rebounds when we have a bunch of guys at least 6" taller than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom