Chief’s Briefs - Drexel Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Drexel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

As predicted Jalen played better in all facets of the game. He worked really hard on defense and took his man off the dribble at will.
No Kwintin Williams on bench first game of second semester. Enough said. Good seeing Akok Akok in UConn sweats. Use this time wisely young fellow.

Cobb has apparently loss a spot in the rotation to Yakwe, who was our most productive Big today. Chief still thinks we neeed Cobb against the elite team. I will say this Cobb is great on the bench - he doesn’t mop and supports his teammates. Good body language.

Once again Sid had some explosive plays around the basket, but he also got loss on some basic switches. A tale of two cities.

Time to make a change in the XL time keeper, another error tonight made in favor of the away team. Restarted the shot clock when it did not hit the rim. Fortunately, it was corrected, but a pattern is starting to develop.

Polley passed his number of fouls (2) five minutes into the second half with a 3 ball. Then he nailed some more threes. He has a beautiful stroke. However, he needs to work on some go to shots and spots to be more productive.

While there were still some Bigs switching errors - we don’t see so many Bigs lost beyond the arc. Still a better opponent could exposed this work in progress.

Over-all Vital had another sold game as did Gilbert. Our on the ball defense was really tough and we got scored, assists and rebounds. Smith had his best game in awhile and scored the ball.

Enjoy the win tonight, get ready for Nova very early tomorrow morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
TS looked like a different player tonight, he must have read the BY after the last game

Reaction Score
TS looked like a different player tonight, he must have read the BY after the last game
How many ‘and 1s’ did he have tonight, 4?

And very casual of Chief to give TS 1 small appreciation sentence in his best game of the year, offensively and defensively. Guy looked terrific in on ball guarding and he’s a totally different player when he attacks aggressively. He was also probably in his element, given this was his level of opponent for his undergrad years

C

Chief00

How many ‘and 1s’ did he have tonight, 4?

And very casual of Chief to give TS 1 small appreciation sentence in his best game of the year, offensively and defensively. Guy looked terrific in on ball guarding and he’s a totally different player when he attacks aggressively. He was also probably in his element, given this was his level of opponent for his undergrad years

Agree, I should have given him more props.

C

Chief00

Interesting travel calls tonight - one would think the most straight forward basic call but Chief has seen anything from allowing the Eurostep to disallowing a cross over move. This year we have seen lot of inconsistency on travels. I wish refs supervisors did not feel so obligated to have so many points of emphasis and just follow the rules.

Reaction Score
Cobb has apparently loss a spot in the rotation to Yakwe, who was our most productive Big today. Chief still thinks we neeed Cobb against the elite team. I will say this Cobb is great on the bench - he doesn’t mop and supports his teammates. Good body language.

Glad you noticed Cobb in good spirits even though his role was limited. We need him to be focused on helping out offensively and defensively vs the bigger bodies that we’ll be facing soon. Honestly, a rotation of him and Yakwe could fare well vs just about any team with stronger bigs that we’ll face the rest of the season. Carlton will probably still get the starts and some time/experience, but until he can get tougher, we need to lean on Cobb/Yakwe

Reaction Score
As predicted Jalen played better in all facets of the game. He worked really hard on defense and took his man off the dribble at will.
No Kwintin Williams on bench first game of second semester. Enough said. Good seeing Akok Akok in UConn sweats. Use this time wisely young fellow.

Once again Sid had some explosive plays around the basket, but he also got loss on some basic switches. A tale of two cities.

Time to make a change in the XL time keeper, another error tonight made in favor of the away team. Restarted the shot clock when it did not hit the rim. Fortunately, it was corrected, but a pattern is starting to develop.

Polley passed his number of fouls (2) five minutes into the second half with a 3 ball. Then he nailed some more threes. He has a beautiful stroke. However, he needs to work on some go to shots and spots to be more productive.

While there were still some Bigs switching errors - we don’t see so many Bigs lost beyond the arc. Still a better opponent could exposed this work in progress.

Over-all Vital had another sold game as did Gilbert. Our on the ball defense was really tough and we got scored, assists and rebounds. Smith had his best game in awhile and scored the ball.

Enjoy the win tonight, get ready for Nova very early tomorrow morning.

I don't think Cobb is losing his spot in the rotation. Hurley is developing the team and Yakwe is quickly becoming our best defensive big. Hurley is just getting him minutes. We'll see Cobb when we need to.

Reaction Score
Ur right about cobb as a good guy on bench. I was at Game too. Saw him hug Brendan Adams when Adams came to bench He wasn’t moping at all. Good guy. Now let’s see him be a serial killer in that nova game!!!

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Great night all around. Especially the energy and outside shooting. Also, turnovers seemed to be lower ( i didn't see the official count). Team was crisper, more movement on offense. But hitting outside shots is so important for a guard oriented team. Vital may be getting less streaky - seems to be shooting the 3 more consistently. Let's hope this game rolls us right into the Villanova game with the same momentum.

C

Chief00

Ur right about cobb as a good guy on bench. I was at Game too. Saw him hug Brendan Adams when Adams came to bench He wasn’t moping at all. Good guy. Now let’s see him be a serial killer in that nova game!!!
Thats the type of stuff we did not see enough of the last two seasons. It’s very important for team chemistry.

C

Chief00

Did anyone else notice it was actually a warmer temperature at XL. That was one of the things Danny complained about a couple weeks ago. He pays attention to the details and gets positive change.

Reaction Score
Agree with the timer at the scorer's table. More than one screw up this year and each time it has negatively affected UConn.
Different people run the game clock and the shot clock. Not the same people every game, either.

C

Chief00

I don't think Cobb is losing his spot in the rotation. Hurley is developing the team and Yakwe is quickly becoming our best defensive big. Hurley is just getting him minutes. We'll see Cobb when we need to.
Is Cobb though the type of player who can just turn on a switch. True, he played well in 2 of the 4 major games we have played. But can he turn it on after sitting most of the previous game?

Reaction Score
Love what Tarin and Yakwe showed tonight. Tarin looks so smooth around the basket but complemented by some midrange shooting he becomes a valuable player. Don't want to overreact to the matchup tonight but he looks like he belongs and it's been a progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom