Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition

Reaction Score
DePaul had 5 assists to our 24. That explains a lot about what happened. Good unselfish shot selection and good shooting other than by our best shooter. We are back to our game and ready for the post season.

Andre and Adama in particular played fantastic. By the first week of March, it is clear who has worked on their weaknesses and improved their games. Adama led us with 26 efficient points and Andre was 2 rebounds and 1 assist short of a triple double.

Again, our two Bigs led the way shooting 73%. If you are looking for productivity and efficient offense, you start with those two, Adama and Donovan. Adama showed great patience and craftiness on his moves tonight. Donovan just knows what to do with the ball around the basket.

Newton was solid with 11 points on 70% shooting, 5 rebounds and 6 assists. The type of solid game we need from him with only 2 turnovers. Joey C also is back in the groove coming off the bench and looking confident on the court. He shot 60% from 3.

I don’t understand why we set most of our screens so far from the basket when setting screens on the blocks are very effective. A double screen even more so. On defense I notice when Adama high hedges he almost always chooses to cover the guard, even when the screen is poor and no switch is required. DePaul did not have the Bigs to make us pay, so it was mid major ball, but an elite D1 team destroys that approach in March.

We won by 29, but it should have been 45, if we did not lose our focus for parts of the second half. We also continue to make fouls that were disconnected from the game, clock and scoreboard. We need to clean that up to achieve our full potential.

While the well meaning Casual Fans rave about Golden State type ball, it is amazing how often the team with a favorable rebound margin wins the game. Tonight our advantage was 40 to 29.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I remember seeing the graphic correctly, UConn has assists on 11 of its first 13 baskets.

DePaul does not even resemble a Big East program in terms of talent and skill. They seem miles behind Georgetown talent wise.

If I were UConn I'd emphasize the total points and final outcome with a reminder that Hawkins only had 3 points. Even an average shooting night from him puts UConn over 100 for the game.

It must be March because Clingan had more than one screen that wasn't called that earlier in the year was a guaranteed offensive foul and change of possession.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Defense and rebounding sets the tone for us along with the ball movement. I’m trying to pinpoint the fix for our failure on ball screens during the losing streak. Saw some switching today but mostly it’s just collective defense, recognizing who can get to the rim and preventing it. Might lead to outside shots from a better team. Let’s see against Nova.

Offensively the change to stop feeding Sanogo in the post and allowing him to play facing the basket has freed up everything. He’s screening, the ball is moving and he’s passing really effectively. While he’s good with back the basket and had a couple today, he’s unstoppable unless doubled when facing. Switches hands and sides of the rim so fluidly and attacks quickly.

Newton was assertive and dropped some absolute dimes, including the one Alex missed. Jackson is understanding how to play in the flow of the offense. Finally. Alleyne and Joey keep making shots although Joey at PG has led to way too many turnovers. Need Diarra back. Alex just keeps doing a bit of everything. Whatever is needed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I remember seeing the graphic correctly, UConn has assists on 11 of its first 13 baskets.

DePaul does not even resemble a Big East program in terms of talent and skill. They seem miles behind Georgetown talent wise.

If I were UConn I'd emphasize the total points and final outcome with a reminder that Hawkins only had 3 points. Even an average shooting night from him puts UConn over 100 for the game.

It must be March because Clingan had more than one screen that wasn't called that earlier in the year was a guaranteed offensive foul and change of possession.

If memory serves, we had 17 assists on 21 baskets in the first half.

Sometimes have a bad habit of throwing passes to Clingan as if he was eight feet tall instead of seven. We put him into some bad spots sometimes. Joey is either brilliant or awful throwing to DC. He had some passes tonight that would have made Calhoun’s head explode.

They always were, minus the third person stuff.
I think the third person thing probably meant I was a little late arriving to reading them.

Without that act, high marks all around.

Reaction Score
DePaul had 5 assists to our 24. That explains a lot about what happened.
While the well meaning Casual Fans rave about Golden State type ball, it is amazing how often the team with a favorable rebound margin wins the game. Tonight our advantage was 40 to 29.
In the 8 year run where the Warriors made the Finals 6 times, they led the NBA in assists per game 6 times and do again this season. They only led the league in 3PA twice in that span. Passing is the signature of Golden State type ball.

Reaction Score
In this type of potential trap game against a weak team, the ideal is just to kick their buts i the first five minutes, demoralize them, make them give up, and coast to victory. UConn couldn’t have executed the kill shot better. All the fight was gone from DePaul in 5 minutes. Uconn never let them get closer than 25 and have any hope.

Reaction Score
In the 8 year run where the Warriors made the Finals 6 times, they led the NBA in assists per game 6 times and do again this season. They only led the league in 3PA twice in that span. Passing is the signature of Golden State type ball.
I think, it’s like anything else in sports that is successful, everyone tries to imitate it. Golden State has arguably the greatest shooter of all time. So a lot of things work for them that when someone else tries to execute the same scheme, doesn’t work so well. For teams that don’t have that HOF shooter, post scoring deserves more focus. Especially, when we have two guys who consistently do it 60% effectively.

As for rebounding, defensive rebounding is basically a turnover and offensive rebounding is a second chance. Both are big factors in winning in many sports.

Yes, there is stuff for almost everyone to learn and imitate from GS, but it also needs to fit your talent. The Magic Lakers had ShowTime, the Celtics had the Big Three and Pistons had the Bad Boys. All worked and all were different. They combined to prevent MJ from winning a Championship in his first 7 years.
They always were, minus the third person stuff.
I don’t understand how a mention of one’s “Handle” Name is considered Third Person. What is the number relationship between one’s real name and one’s handle name? To me, “Third Person, would be using one’s real name. But, I acknowledge it seems to be a distraction, so I do it less now.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If memory serves, we had 17 assists on 21 baskets in the first half.

Sometimes have a bad habit of throwing passes to Clingan as if he was eight feet tall instead of seven. We put him into some bad spots sometimes. Joey is either brilliant or awful throwing to DC. He had some passes tonight that would have made Calhoun’s head explode.

I think the third person thing probably meant I was a little late arriving to reading them.

Without that act, high marks all around.

Lemme way overread in to Joey C playing the PG. Diarra has been out past two games with some abdominal muscle issue or something. Someone has to play the point when Newton is out of the game.
Rather than going back to Jackson, he gave Joey C some run at the PG against both SJU and DePaul. It's not pretty in the half court game. Joey has shown some tendencies for the flair trying to squeeze passes in during half court sets. Passes which have no chance of making it to the intended receiver. Not there was ever much doubt or expectation for him to be a legit back up PG, but Joey is a straight up shooting guard.

Reaction Score
The board lately has been full of optimism and happiness which is contrary to the usual doom and gloom of the Boneyard.
I am concerned about this unbalance and its effect on the universe and anti matter quasars.

I therefore will offer an antidote to the euphoria from the evisceration of Depaul last night:

Joey California had too many "who the hell are you throwing to passes?" last night.

There, the universe is now again in harmony.

Reaction Score
DePaul had 5 assists to our 24. That explains a lot about what happened. Good unselfish shot selection and good shooting other than by our best shooter. We are back to our game and ready for the post season.

Andre and Adama in particular played fantastic. By the first week of March, it is clear who has worked on their weaknesses and improved their games. Adama led us with 26 efficient points and Andre was 2 rebounds and 1 assist short of a triple double.

Again, our two Bigs led the way shooting 73%. If you are looking for productivity and efficient offense, you start with those two, Adama and Donovan. Adama showed great patience and craftiness on his moves tonight. Donovan just knows what to do with the ball around the basket.

Newton was solid with 11 points on 70% shooting, 5 rebounds and 6 assists. The type of solid game we need from him with only 2 turnovers. Joey C also is back in the groove coming off the bench and looking confident on the court. He shot 60% from 3.

I don’t understand why we set most of our screens so far from the basket when setting screens on the blocks are very effective. A double screen even more so. On defense I notice when Adama high hedges he almost always chooses to cover the guard, even when the screen is poor and no switch is required. DePaul did not have the Bigs to make us pay, so it was mid major ball, but an elite D1 team destroys that approach in March.

We won by 29, but it should have been 45, if we did not lose our focus for parts of the second half. We also continue to make fouls that were disconnected from the game, clock and scoreboard. We need to clean that up to achieve our full potential.

Joey C was maddening with TO after TO in the second half. DC has to stop throwing his hands up every single time he commits a foul. Sure sometimes they are questionable but EVERY SINGLE foul. Everything else I witnessed was as close to a masterpiece as I've seen in a long time. Grateful for the Nova game this weekend. We will either show our mental toughness after blowing out someone else or be humbled back to it just in time for the garden. That game couldn't be better timed for us!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
About midway through the second half, I started to wonder who was going to be the Negative Nancy following a complete domination of an obviously inferior team. I didn't think it'd be the OP.

"Oh No!!! DePaul won the second half!! Obvious lack of focus!!"

Sure, they didn't extend the 32 point half time lead, but they didn't give it back either, a la the first Seton Hall contest. A lack of focus would have been forcing shots and allowing DePaul to get back to single digits or low doubles. The lead never got smaller than 26 in the second half, before immediately popping back up to 29.

I'm also willing to cut Joey C. some slack. He's played just about as much in the last 4 days than he had in the games since Xavier at the end of January, combined. A lead in the high 20s/low30s allows a team to take chances they normally would not.

What is more impressive is they were so efficient offensively (55% FG, 24 assists on 35 makes), while their offensive straw - Hawkins - went 1-9 (for whom, incidentally, are typically why those screens are set away from the basket.). His shot wasn't falling. It happens. His teammates picked him up in a big way.

Karaban continues to bring his lunch pail. Daily. Offensively, he is already Kevin Freeman with range, and continues to develop into a quintessential Husky on the defensive end.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t pay much or really any attention to most posters here, but I am stunned that somehow these Chief posts have become some of the best reads going.

1677776074156.gif

“Welcome to the party pal!”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know he’s not a true point, but I love when Joey c’s in there -especially when paired up with alleyne. things open up so much more. Yes, u get the occasional turnover, but I want more joey c /Alleyne and less Diarra - We scored almost 200 pts last 2 games.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Good stuff Chief. The rebounding was the most jarring, “men vs boys” thing all night. Was watching with a friend and we commented every time how it was amazing how we were like a pack of wolves on the boards after every shot, and DePaul was like a rec league team on the boards.
Combine that with the ball movement and we just looked like a singular unit on a mission.

We’re finally tournament ready.
Fire up the engines, it’s March. Let’s ride.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Smartest thing hurley did yestrday was play Alleyne and joey c extended minutes. Gonna need them to get as many Reps as possible before post season starts.

He definitely put the ball in Alleyne's hands a few times to run the point. Wasn't much for ball movement but he did get to the rim and made two shots.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Joey continuing to hit 3s. That is absolutely huge if he can come off the bench as a microwave in the postseason. Imagine if he was hitting his 3s in that 2nd Creighton game? We would've won running away.

Reaction Score
About midway through the second half, I started to wonder who was going to be the Negative Nancy following a complete domination of an obviously inferior team. I didn't think it'd be the OP.

"Oh No!!! DePaul won the second half!! Obvious lack of focus!!"

Sure, they didn't extend the 32 point half time lead, but they didn't give it back either, a la the first Seton Hall contest. A lack of focus would have been forcing shots and allowing DePaul to get back to single digits or low doubles. The lead never got smaller than 26 in the second half, before immediately popping back up to 29.

I'm also willing to cut Joey C. some slack. He's played just about as much in the last 4 days than he had in the games since Xavier at the end of January, combined. A lead in the high 20s/low30s allows a team to take chances they normally would not.

What is more impressive is they were so efficient offensively (55% FG, 24 assists on 35 makes), while their offensive straw - Hawkins - went 1-9 (for whom, incidentally, are typically why those screens are set away from the basket.). His shot wasn't falling. It happens. His teammates picked him up in a big way.

Karaban continues to bring his lunch pail. Daily. Offensively, he is already Kevin Freeman with range, and continues to develop into a quintessential Husky on the defensive end.
Karaban is another kid who looks critically at his game and just works to get better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know he’s not a true point, but I love when Joey c’s in there -especially when paired up with alleyne. things open up so much more. Yes, u get the occasional turnover, but I want more joey c /Alleyne and less Diarra - We scored almost 200 pts last 2 games.
Joey when he's off ball: wow, he handles it well and makes some nice passes.
Joey when he's the PG: stop throwing the ball to the other team!

Why? When he's at PG they look for him to pass and he telegraphs them. When he's off ball they defend him as a shooter, and he has an opportunity to make good passes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Good stuff Chief. The rebounding was the most jarring, “men vs boys” thing all night. Was watching with a friend and we commented every time how it was amazing how we were like a pack of wolves on the boards after every shot, and DePaul was like a rec league team on the boards.
Combine that with the ball movement and we just looked like a singular unit on a mission.

We’re finally tournament ready.
Fire up the engines, it’s March. Let’s ride.
Lappas mentioned that DePaul was in the 340s in defensive rebounding. I didn't confirm, because I expect non-Walton color commentators to know their statistical sh_t. However if even half true, there are some low majors that are better rebounding teams than DePaul.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Joey when he's off ball: wow, he handles it well and makes some nice passes.
Joey when he's the PG: stop throwing the ball to the other team!

Why? When he's at PG they look for him to pass and he telegraphs them. When he's off ball they defend him as a shooter, and he has an opportunity to make good passes.
Agreed 100%
JoeyC, like Newton is not a PG - they are scoring guards
The important thing is that Joey C got some good court time
Overall the game was a case of an aggressive defense vs a stagnant offense that had no clue
A win is a win
Nova may prove to be a bit more able opponent.
I liked the positive energy showed out there last night
My man Hawk threw in a stinker but even the best players do it once in a while
Imagine if AS had a mid range game?
Let's finish the season on a high note...................................................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom