Chief’s Briefs - DePaul 2 Edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - DePaul 2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The "up" part of that is the issue, not the strong.
True. Outside of Phil Michelson, I've haven't seen an athlete (If you describe Phil as such) so vertically challenged. Particularly at 6'-10".

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chief00: "...Martin had a very good game but still needs to work at finishing around the rim. Chief needs to study better the reasons for that deficiency. It’s not readily apparent. He’s strong, has fairly long arms and plays aggressive. It may be a mental matter of concentration..."

Chief getting to work on figuring out Martin’s layup “yips”
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
This gets an LOL from me, dawg.

Reaction Score
- we’re still not a super developed team offensively. There are only a handful of sets we run. ie. Martin post ups, Polley/Martin off staggered screen. Teams like Nova and Creighton run plays on every possession in the half court and have a much wider playbook.

I agree our playbook is definitely not deep enough. Hurley has some fantastic sets, but we don't run the basic, simple stuff with precision very often. But Nova isn't running "plays" every time down the court, they're running actions. Slightly different, but an important distinction and one I'd like to see us steal from a bit.

For example, in broken plays 'Nova is ridiculously disciplined with their secondary cutters when a driver gets stopped around the foul line--the always know exactly who is required to cut. It manifests itself looking like a "set play" but it's really just reactions to what the ball does.

Reaction Score
I have a question on the portion of the comment , that I never considered before.

"Polley needs to use the shot fake to draw fouls if they’re going to play him this tight."

Is a foul on a shot fake, considered "in the act of shooting," meaning is the fake itself considered" being in the act of shooting?"

In other words, must the ball actually be out of the hands of the shooter or is the fake enough even though the ball never leaves his hands?

Reaction Score
The weave is driving me crazy. Someone explain to me where the shots are supposed to come from? There are no cutters, no screen and roll to the basket, no screening away. Big men catch the ball up top never square up to the basket. Occasionally we'll get a slip screen from Whaley but the ball rarely gets passed to him. It seems like it is designed as an equal opportunity offense but no one ever seems to be in position to take advantage of it. I know a lot of teams start with some screening action up top, ours just seems to last for the majority of the shot clock. Btw, I'm happy we won the game.
It's a hypnosis thing. They're trying to put the other team to sleep.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I have a question on the portion of the comment , that I never considered before.

"Polley needs to use the shot fake to draw fouls if they’re going to play him this tight."

Is a foul on a shot fake, considered "in the act of shooting," meaning is the fake itself considered" being in the act of shooting?"

In other words, must the ball actually be out of the hands of the shooter or is the fake enough even though the ball never leaves his hands?
'in the act of shooting' is a zebra judgement call. so, the only correct answer is 'yes, no, maybe.' im guessin if the ball is above the players shoulders when the hack occurs, the chances for calling a shooting foul are higher. if it's on a drive, prolly less so.

Reaction Score

I don't know nothing about nothing, so, firstly, I don't know the answer to your question (although I think if the ref thinks it's a fake, it would not be an act-of-shooting foul). But secondly, I think the OP was referring to using a shot fake to get the defender up in the air, and then shooting, thus drawing a foul that is unquestionably during the act of shooting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Most players at this level know to let go of the ball and act it up on a hack even if they intended to fake in an attempt to draw the shooting foul. At the end of the day, it is at the ref's discretion.

Reaction Score
I don't know nothing about nothing, so, firstly, I don't know the answer to your question (although I think if the ref thinks it's a fake, it would not be an act-of-shooting foul). But secondly, I think the OP was referring to using a shot fake to get the defender up in the air, and then shooting, thus drawing a foul that is unquestionably during the act of shooting.
Okay. If the shooter tried to sell it by complaining to the Ref, "He won't let me get a shot off," maybe that will help.

Interesting answer, though.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Martin had a very good game but still needs to work at finishing around the rim. Chief needs to study better the reasons for that deficiency. It’s not readily apparent. He’s strong, has fairly long arms and plays aggressive. It may be a mental matter of concentration.
It seems a lot of his shots bounce on the rim a couple times before falling either in or out. I believe these shots that are a little of line are the result of inadequate focus. Players shooting at the rim in a general way instead of picking a spot at which to aim. Also i believe it's more common with front rim shooters than back rim shooters.

Reaction Score
Secondly, they need to cut down on unnecessary turnovers/possessions in transition. If a layup isn’t there, we need to hunt Polley for 3s, he’s deadly in transition. All in all, take the win and move on. Certainly happy to get another win.
On the other hand, we need to force it to Polley less in transition. There was one sequence where we had a 4 on 3 break, Cole or Gaffney was obviously trying to set up a handoff to Polley instead of attacking the rim, gave it to him with a defender all over, rushed the 3, missed, and DePaul came down and hit a 3 of their own for a 5-point swing.

Kickouts to Polley need to come in the flow of the offense, not through "hunting" shots.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I get the impression people think Martin a much better caliber of athlete than he actually is.

Reaction Score
Hope we run more O by throwing it to the elbow/top of the key. They did this w/ Bouk & then a few times with Martin at the end of the game. These sets seems to be where we get all our penetration from. If we can get in the lane and kick out to shooters like Martin did to Cole, hopefully we’ll be able to get better looks.

Reaction Score
I have to say that some of the difference between DePaul game 1 and DePaul game 2 is probably the adjustments made by our own and now Depaul's Dave Leitao. He got them to outshoot us from the field and stripe and outboard us. They definitely were way better than game 1. Shout out to Dave!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. The defense tenacity of this team is impressive
2. The PG play is horrible. Yeah Cole hit a big 3 but overall his game reflected what most here slewed AG without a decent handle and occasional great vision. Would love to know how he averaged 20 pts p/g at Howard. Maybe DH should turn down Dad's advice once in a while. Gaff is too slow and looks very unsure of himself.
3. Don't know how much longer the team can survive without Bouk, however, at least developing all these role players will pay dividends over the long haul
4. Polley saw what a bit of attention does to his game. He needs to become mobile on the offense and drive to the hoop more. His D and rebounding needs work- that hasn't changed.
5. Martin is a banger and it is important that UConn has a player of his size with speed and hops. He does miss bunnies but makes up for it- I was a bit unsure of him at the start but not now.
6, This team CANNOT afford to play Gaff and Cole at the same time. When DH plays that lineup everything slows down offensively- way too much east/west movement and opposing guards drive to the hoop effectively on them. I don't understand why DH can't see this.
7. Why is UConn saving Time Outs? Can they cash them in for cash at the end of the season?
8. Whalley is essential and needs to stay out of foul trouble - the game changes to the bad when he is sitting. 9. It was an ugly win - but - there are going to be a lot of these in the NBE
10. This 7 day layoff will help the team, especially Bouk
Too many worry about rankings - too early for that - I look for improvement and when March rolls along this team can be dangerous

C

Chief00

1. The defense tenacity of this team is impressive
2. The PG play is horrible. Yeah Cole hit a big 3 but overall his game reflected what most here slewed AG without a decent handle and occasional great vision. Would love to know how he averaged 20 pts p/g at Howard. Maybe DH should turn down Dad's advice once in a while. Gaff is too slow and looks very unsure of himself.
3. Don't know how much longer the team can survive without Bouk, however, at least developing all these role players will pay dividends over the long haul
4. Polley saw what a bit of attention does to his game. He needs to become mobile on the offense and drive to the hoop more. His D and rebounding needs work- that hasn't changed.
5. Martin is a banger and it is important that UConn has a player of his size with speed and hops. He does miss bunnies but makes up for it- I was a bit unsure of him at the start but not now.
6, This team CANNOT afford to play Gaff and Cole at the same time. When DH plays that lineup everything slows down offensively- way too much east/west movement and opposing guards drive to the hoop effectively on them. I don't understand why DH can't see this.
7. Why is UConn saving Time Outs? Can they cash them in for cash at the end of the season?
8. Whalley is essential and needs to stay out of foul trouble - the game changes to the bad when he is sitting. 9. It was an ugly win - but - there are going to be a lot of these in the NBE
10. This 7 day layoff will help the team, especially Bouk
Too many worry about rankings - too early for that - I look for improvement and when March rolls along this team can be dangerous
Agree with almost all of your points. A quick Bouknight recovery is key.

C

Chief00

I agree our playbook is definitely not deep enough. Hurley has some fantastic sets, but we don't run the basic, simple stuff with precision very often. But Nova isn't running "plays" every time down the court, they're running actions. Slightly different, but an important distinction and one I'd like to see us steal from a bit.

For example, in broken plays 'Nova is ridiculously disciplined with their secondary cutters when a driver gets stopped around the foul line--the always know exactly who is required to cut. It manifests itself looking like a "set play" but it's really just reactions to what the ball does.
You don’t need a lot of plays, just a half dozen plays with multiple read options as you mentioned Villanova runs. Quite frankly, Red Auerbach just had about a 1/2 dozen half court sets but the key was the multiple read options off of each of them. However, he first started with a starting point of running, even after made shots. This puts incredible pressure on the defense and literally puts them back on their heels.

Reaction Score

The same Bredan Adams who gets beat by his man all game long? These metrics seem to be off. Maybe this metric also measures players who play defense like a chicken with his head cut off. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom