Chief’s Briefs - DePaul 2 Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - DePaul 2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Tyler days of playing in obscurity are over. Especially with Boutnight out and just off Big East player of the week - he will now get defensive attention. We will see if he is clever enough to create scoring opportunities. He made a couple of 3’s in the first half but needs more consistency.

Probably the surprise of the game is that we got out rebounded. Given our difficulty scoring we need to win in this category. We also had more turnovers than assists, a metric Chief watches.

While we got out to an 11 point lead our offense isn’t pretty and that’s been Chief’s concern when well intended Casual Fans started talking top ten ranking.

Again, we did a good job on Moore.

Josh played a step slow and a thought late. Several times he did not appear to be ready for the ball or a plan what to do with it. In the post he needs to create distance for his shot by using a jump hook with his shoulder creating separation.

Martin had a very good game but still needs to work at finishing around the rim. Chief needs to study better the reasons for that deficiency. It’s not readily apparent. He’s strong, has fairly long arms and plays aggressive. It may be a mental matter of concentration.

DePaul came out with a good run to start the second half. UConn was playing very tentative offensively and DePaul did not overthink their offense. I thought Whaley played with energy but not much focus or with awareness of where his man or responsibilities were. He was running around without much purpose to his activity and lost his man or was late to an assignment several times.
I would like to see Polley come in at 17 minutes mark rather than 15 minutes. Our offense really struggles. Gaffney is turning down shots while Cole is rushing his play on offense.

We don’t have an offense that can afford lots of turnovers, since our shooting isn’t that good either. Another game and Akok doesn’t look even remotely ready. Our half court defense is really good, and I think it wore DePaul down and led to the win. Martin had 5 steaks snd Cole 4.

A win is a win especially without your star.

Last edited by a moderator:

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
16 steals

Attachments

• 254BC12B-783B-4FA2-8299-39692D10C1E3.png
    254BC12B-783B-4FA2-8299-39692D10C1E3.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 215
Reaction Score
Gutsy win by the young Huskies. No Bouk. On the road. 2nd game in three days. First game ranked (I know it means nothing but it would suck to get in and immediately bounced out). They have learned how to grind out a win even when things are not going well. As we all know, the sign of a good team. Easy bro say "just Depaul",. but no cupcakes in the Big East. They will beat some good teams. Just glad we got the W. I'm sure DH feels the same.

Reaction Score
- Our free throw shooting needs work, it'll cost us some games but in a big spot I think we can still trust Polley, Cole, Bouk

- Wasn't obvious but on the back to back good players from Gaffney in the 1st half (steal and layup, then foul) you could see flashes of his athleticism. Just needs confidence to bring that out

- Our defense is good, unbelievably good

Reaction Score
This didn't look like the team I've been reading about but they grinded it out while they weren't playing that well. Martin took it upon himself to win the game and really looked tired at the end. Some players make it look easy, Cole makes it look hard, but he did hit a timely 3.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
DePaul was surprisingly game for a dogfight. For me the story was missed free throws, turnovers and not finishing around the rim. Pretty much the fundamentals. I expect practice will be a COI this week

Reaction Score
I know that “a win is a win” is cliche, but that best describes it. We needed this game with or without Bouknight. 7-1 and 4-1 in the Big East is a lot better than 6-2 and 4-2 with one of those losses to DePaul. It was ugly, but I have no shame in accepting this win. With that said, I think it’s time to get Bouknight back...

Reaction Score
Another game and Akok doesn’t look even remotely ready
gonna recalibrate my expectations and hope akok's back in the starting lineup next season...on the bright side this will give AJ a better chance at meaningful minutes this spring

C

Chief00

I know that “a win is a win” is cliche, but that best describes it. We needed this game with or without Bouknight. 7-1 and 4-1 in the Big East is a lot better than 6-2 and 4-2 with one of those losses to DePaul. It was ugly, but I have no shame in accepting this win. With that said, I think it’s time to get Bouknight back...
This was huge on the Bouknight recovery timeline, especially with Villanova being postponed.

Reaction Score
DePaul was surprisingly game for a dogfight. For me the story was missed free throws, turnovers and not finishing around the rim. Pretty much the fundamentals. I expect practice will be a COI this week
I had a funny feeling about this game since we just played DePaul. I had a feeling they were going to come out a lot tougher this time. It’s hard to beat a team multiple times in a season, especially on their floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom