Chief’s Briefs - Deleware State Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Deleware State Edition

Reaction Score
From Adama and Donovan we got a combined 77% FG shooting, which translated to 42 points. Throw in 13 rebounds/4 blocks and that’s very good production from the center position (although we admittedly pretend it is a forward position for Adama’s NBA draft purposes). One disappointment was zero assists from those two. That will need to improve later this week.

The more I see of Joey California the more I like his game. He has a very smooth shooting stroke, verticle jumping ability, and is a pretty nifty passer too. He shot 60% from three (3 for 5), had a leading 6 assists vs. 3 turnovers (a 2.0 assist/turnover ratio) and did not get abused on defense.

The two real solid, consistent performers are Karaban and Alleyne. Karaban plays with wisdom and poise beyond his years, as a red shirt freshman . As I have observed and from people I talk to, he doesn’t get too high or low. The kid just produces and acts like he has been there. Allleyne can play good defense and he was our leader in minutes today at 29 and shot 60% FG. Got 4 assists with zero turnovers.

Another surprise was Hawkins being our leading rebounder today with 9. He also got decent point production over-all this last couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
Meant to say 2 games not 2 weeks for Hawkins good point production, saw typo after tge 5 minute edit period is up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Joey C did look better today. The question is how he looked defensively against P5 competition?

Reaction Score
Another thing I saw at the game, which I meant to mention was an ugly 3 point attempt by Andre. Some time later he made a 3 point attempt in the corner by the UConn bench. Andre did briefly celebrate that attempt to the extent Deleware State was able to score down the other end on a fast break after the made shot. Hurley really ripped into him for that. Normally, I would agree but since he made it despite his finger surgery, bandages and part of his celebration was he was getting some confidence in his shot, which has always been always been an issue even before the injury. For all of those reasons, perhaps Danny might have given him a pass?

Reaction Score
Worried about Newton, if it's a groin it could be a month like Adama last year.
Oregon has lost their 3 top guards due to injury.
Their C is a load but Adama is the BE P of TY so he and Don better be able to take care of that one.
Enjoy your observations.

Reaction Score
Their C is a load but Adama is the BE P of TY so he and Don better be able to take care of that one.
Enjoy your observations.
Thank you. That particular injury can linger. At his best, Newton is a multi dimensional scorer. This will be an opportunity for Joey California. I also hope Alleyne continues his good play from last night.
Diarra also got starters minutes last night (22) and did get 5 assists but produced only 3 points.

Reaction Score
I agree, that will be the key question. I think Joey California is pretty athletic, the issue will be his strength and in some match-ups height as a defender.
It won't work all the time, but Joey used his lesser physicality to his advantage by drawing an offensive foul when he had a bad match up in the post. He started flailing his arms to make the Delaware State player's post positioning look like a push-off, and the ref, who, I suspect Joey knew was watching, made the call our way. My son and I got a good laugh from his resourcefulness.

Reaction Score
Enjoy your observations.
Hurley mentioned in the post-game press conference that he thought Newton just got hit below the belt and didn't expect it to be serious. Not sure I saw any contact below the belt when I was watching, though. I guess we will see soon.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't that question for everyone on the squad?
Sure, but I have a healthy skepticism about Joey based upon what we’ve seen so far.

Reaction Score
Hurley mentioned in the post-game press conference that he thought Newton just got hit below the belt and didn't expect it to be serious. Not sure I saw any contact below the belt when I was watching, though. I guess we will see soon.
I had a good view in section 107. It looked like his legs got spread uncomfortably wide, and it looked like the was holding his groin (as opposed to his jewels) as he walked off the court. It did not look like he took a shot to the baby maker at any point.

Reaction Score
I had a good view in section 107. It looked like his legs got spread uncomfortably wide, and it looked like the was holding his groin (as opposed to his jewels) as he walked off the court. It did not look like he took a shot to the baby maker at any point.
Yeah, I was center court-ish and it looked like he just over-extended his leg sort of sideways, like his foot slid or something.

Reaction Score
That's what it looked like on TV as well, but in Hurley I Trust.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
One question - why the hell did DH allow the starters to play as long as they did? Makes zero sense but then..................
Joey C has proven that he can play well vs this type of competition now come the coming to God time - I hope he continues
I love Hawk and his defense and rebounding has been great yet I feel he can be much more active off the ball on offense
Rebounding - too many to give up - Oregon is a very big team so it isn't going to get easier
DC continues to grow with every game and he will be needed in Oregon.
The 3 pt shooting has been better but I hope it just wasn't due to the opponents allowing it to happen - UConn shooter will feel much more pressure going forward
UConn took care of business as they should have so the tire meets the road and here's hoping to having a great Thanksgiving weekend
Let's go UConn

Reaction Score
We will see what the Nike money buys Oregan. I would love to see us get out in transition and keep them back on their heels. Jackson looks up court really well.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It won't work all the time, but Joey used his lesser physicality to his advantage by drawing an offensive foul when he had a bad match up in the post. He started flailing his arms to make the Delaware State player's post positioning look like a push-off, and the ref, who, I suspect Joey knew was watching, made the call our way. My son and I got a good laugh from his resourcefulness.
He leaned back and stepped in, which made the defender's hand on his chest slide right up to his neck. Then he started flailing. To the ref, it had to look like he took a shot to the adams apple.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley would blatantly lie about an injury. Be vague? Yes. Blatantly lie? No. He’s fine

Reaction Score
One question - why the hell did DH allow the starters to play as long as they did? Makes zero sense but then..................
Joey C has proven that he can play well vs this type of competition now come the coming to God time - I hope he continues
I love Hawk and his defense and rebounding has been great yet I feel he can be much more active off the ball on offense
Rebounding - too many to give up - Oregon is a very big team so it isn't going to get easier
The 3 pt shooting has been better but I hope it just wasn't due to the opponents allowing it to happen - UConn shooter will feel much more pressure going forward
UConn took care of business as they should have so the tire meets the road and here's hoping to having a great Thanksgiving weekend
Let's go UConn
The starters played 29,28,23,22 and 19 minutes. What do you guys want? All starters under 20 minutes? Give it a break please and understand that coaches need to work on things, especially with so many new players. The only complaint I have is for Springs to play more. Give him more minutes with the rotation guys as a back up 4.

Reaction Score
The starters played 29,28,23,22 and 19 minutes. What do you guys want? All starters under 20 minutes? Give it a break please and understand that coaches need to work on things, especially with so many new players. The only complaint I have is for Springs to play more. Give him more minutes with the rotation guys as a back up 4.
I always like a guy who likes the offensive glass (Springs).
Having said that, over-all the line-up tightening starts this week. Reality hits. We will see who steps up and who doesn’t.

Reaction Score
Let's go UConn

think hurley has been pretty clear on this in past years -- he wants his starters to get real game minutes to get in shape for the difficult stretches ahead.

i also think (someone can correct me if i am wrong) that win margin is factored into the NET (and therefore NCAA seedings) so it behooves us to run the score up in these games. hurley and his team are very analytics-driven and wouldn't take this lightly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom