Chief’s Briefs - Cuse Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cuse Edition

C

Chief00

First, Chief wanted to thank all the great fans, who made the trip. You helped make the difference. A dozen threes to cheer for - wow!

We are back! Quite frankly, that was fun. It doesn’t get better than beating Cuse at MSG. Chief liked the way we kept the foot on the gas toward the end. Need to work on foul shooting at crunch time!

Hughes is a tough player as is Battle and Carey, so this counts for something.

Chief was impressed by the boxing out and going after loose balls. The shot selection was good too, over-all the ball did not get sticky. Loved the 1 on 1 Defense. Turnovers on the other hand killed us, especially with 5 guards we should be better at that metric.

Cobb had a nice combination of muscle and touch. 13 rebounds and double figure in points. Josh got his shots blocked and had foul trouble, but made a couple nice plays. Yakwe at 6’5” had problems getting shots off inside but played decent D. Yakwe is a real liability on offense. He just needs to focus on the offensive boards.

Gilbert killed it with 3’s. If he can continue to do that, with his quickness, he will be tough to defend. He does need to stay under control on his drives and not to get too deep if it’s not there. He had some nice assists.

Jalen played like we needed him to play. Smith is so good off the bench because you can plug him into the role or roles you need at the moment. PG, best scorer defender, shooter or whatever. Vital kept answering the bell - like any good boxer does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
My thoughts that may not be immediately mentioned:

We had a wire to wire win. Cuse tied in 2 or 3 x in the first half but they never led.

Cuse has a built in excuse missing Frank Howard. Howard shot 37 percent from the field last year in his breakout year. That is terrible. Jalen Carey had a significantly better game tonight offensively than Howard has ever had in his career. This game was not a fluke. Howard is a good defensive player but they got a big plus tonight offensively with Carey shouldering the load.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
People will say Howard didn't play; people will say we shot 3's well beyond the norm. What they will miss is that our bigs out toughed their bigs. No one here or elsewhere would have predicted that.

Reaction Score
My thoughts that may not be immediately mentioned:

We had a wire to wire win. Cuse tied in 2 or 3 x in the first half but they never led.

Cuse has a built in excuse missing Frank Howard. Howard shot 37 percent from the field last year in his breakout year. That is terrible. Jalen Carey had a significantly better game tonight offensively than Howard has ever had in his career. This game was not a fluke. Howard is a good defensive player but they got a big plus tonight offensively with Carey shouldering the load.
Carey wasn't exactly a point guard tonight either. 26 points, 0 assists.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Great win!!! Hot shooting made up for 20 turnovers...aaargh! Defense and grit is back. Cobb showed some nice offense. Smith is a huge pick-up. One of the best back courts in the country. Hurley is the man!!! Whole team psyche is noticeably better. I'm a psychologist, I can use the word psyche! :)

Reaction Score
First, Chief wanted to thank all the great fans, who made the trip. You helped make the difference. A dozen threes to cheer for - wow!

We are back! Quite frankly, that was fun. It doesn’t get better than beating Cuse at MSG. Chief liked the way we kept the foot on the gas toward the end. Need to work on foul shooting at crunch time!

Chief was impressed by the boxing out and going after loose balls. The shot selection was good too, over-all the ball did not get sticky. Loved the 1 on 1 Defense. Turnovers on the other hand killed us, especially with 5 guards we should be better at that metric.

Cobb had a nice combination of muscle and touch. 13 rebounds and double figure in points. Josh got his shots blocked and had foul trouble, but made a couple nice plays. Yakwe at 6’5” had problems getting shots off inside but played decent D. Yakwe is a real liability on offense. He just needs to focus on the offensive boards.

Gilbert killed it with 3’s. If he can continue to do that, with his quickness, he will be tough to defend. He does need to stay under control on his drives and not to get too deep if it’s not there. He had some nice assists.

Jalen played like we needed him to play. Smith is so good off the bench because you can plug him into the role or roles you need at the moment. PG, best scorer defender, shooter or whatever.
With the game on the line, I actually wanted the ball in Smith's hands.

Reaction Score

Jalen played like we needed him to play. Smith is so good off the bench because you can plug him into the role or roles you need at the moment. PG, best scorer defender, shooter or whatever.
I was stuck in the snowstorm traffic jam on 17. So chapped. I brought my floor tickets a while back and planned this work trip around this date. I’m still at least 2/3 hours out as there are hundreds of us stuck on the hill outside bloomingburg.

C

Chief00

I was stuck in the snowstorm traffic jam on 17. So chapped. I brought my floor tickets a while back and planned this work trip around this date. I’m still at least 2/3 hours out as there are hundreds of us stuck on the hill outside bloomingburg.

Sorry about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom