Chief’s Briefs- Creighton Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Creighton Edition

Reaction Score
I felt like this was mostly a concession that Kalkbrenner sitting in the paint and the pesky, quick perimeter defenders not allowing us to get anything off. The only way to break that defensive alignment is to have a 5 that Kalk has to defend shooting from outside. Remember McDermott famously ignoring Whaley, even when he was making 3s? He won't bring that shot-blocker out unless he has to. That includes out of the game against us, he never sat down.

Unfortunately, McDermott simply adjusted to the small lineup by having his 4 guard AK and putting Kalkbrenner on Castle, who was mostly a threat in the paint anyway. So that strategy failed and was short lived.

We were losing badly, I really don't understand Johnson having a red light to shoot when nobody was guarding him. It's the only way to break open that defense.
I think the staff needs to evaluate Samson more realistically. This hybrid narrative where he could defend multiple positions was never true. He’s a Big who needs to get stronger but he can shot block and dunk. Put him in the paint and coach him up there.

Reaction Score
Anyone see any reports on Donovan’s knee? He seemed to bang it up some, did not seem like a major thing but just checking. Of course, Hurley is a mix bag when discussing injuries so as not to give opponents any advantage.

Reaction Score
Third, the screening foul was legit but normally not called when the movement is as minimal as Donovan made. Our motion offense is predicated on having our bigs be screeners on the periphery to free up Alex and Cam. That was taken away with that second foul.
great post. One thing I’d like to add is that I saw at least two screens set by Kalkbrenner where not only was he moving, but he actually dipped his shoulder into the UConn player. No call.

Reaction Score
great post. One thing I’d like to add is that I saw at least two screens set by Kalkbrenner where not only was he moving, but he actually dipped his shoulder into the UConn player. No call.
Our opponents get all the border line calls in the Big East. I call it the “UConn Big East Handicap”

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I think the staff needs to evaluate Samson more realistically. This hybrid narrative where he could defend multiple positions was never true. He’s a Big who needs to get stronger but he can shot block and dunk. Put him in the paint and coach him up there.
The thing that strikes me is we were told he was a stretch four. I think he has taken one perimeter shot all year. Where did that assessment come from. If either he or Clingan would look at the basket when they are setting screens with the ball at the top of the key it would certainly help keep the defense more honest. Just turn face the basket make it look like you are going to shoot or at least thinking about it. It will help freeze the defender even for half a second and could open up cutting and driving lanes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The thing that strikes me is we were told he was a stretch four. I think he has taken one perimeter shot all year. Where did that assessment come from. If either he or Clingan would look at the basket when they are setting screens with the ball at the top of the key it would certainly help keep the defense more honest. Just turn face the basket make it look like you are going to shoot or at least thinking about it. It will help freeze the defender even for half a second and could open up cutting and driving lanes.
He played the 4 next to Adama in HS. He took 3s then. I don't know what we've been doing with him or what he's been doing that he doesn't have a green light out there when wide open. When he played (sparingly) in past years, they let him shoot.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DH, for 3 years has been telling us that SJ will be up on the Wall of Honor etc.
What happened? Me thinks he needs more coach service than lip service and if he cant do it, hire a damn big guy coach.
This will not be the only game that DC gets in foul trouble and the competition of future games is only going to get tougher.
A team like UConn can't only have one big that can be counted on to do all things at a high level.

Reaction Score
DH, for 3 years has been telling us that SJ will be up on the Wall of Honor etc.
What happened? Me thinks he needs more coach service than lip service and if he cant do it, hire a damn big guy coach.
This will not be the only game that DC gets in foul trouble and the competition of future games is only going to get tougher.
A team like UConn can't only have one big that can be counted on to do all things at a high level.
I know Donovan thinks highly of Samson too, even from last season.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I know Donovan thinks highly of Samson too, even from last season.
The are all complimentary of each other since as Diarra pointed out they love each other, but probably only during the we season. If he is the best option to start as the big next year they may be at best a bubble first weekend team.

Reaction Score
The are all complimentary of each other since as Diarra pointed out they love each other, but probably only during the we season. If he is the best option to start as the big next year they may be at best a bubble first weekend team.
Correct. We would be dead in the water with Samson our starting 5. Decent backup and some skills, but everyone knows that. Hurley must have a plan but he's a bit busy now.

Reaction Score
We lost defensive focus for a 5-minute span late in the first half (specifically from the 8:30 min mark when we were up 23-21 to the 3:30 mark) we were outscored 18-2 and down by 39-25. We were too aggressive on the double-teams/help defense and lost wing assignments (esp Cam and Steph) which resulted in 4 threes during that time. Btw, if you go back and look at the 1st half of the Marquette game, we had some of the same issues....Marquette just didn't hit their open looks. Need to clean that up.
Absolutely right about Marquette missing those shots fortunately

Reaction Score
Anyone see any reports on Donovan’s knee? He seemed to bang it up some, did not seem like a major thing but just checking. Of course, Hurley is a mix bag when discussing injuries so as not to give opponents any advantage.
He looked fine during his visit to the Middle School in Bristol the next day but no reports so far.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Justin Brown says hello.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Observed it as well. Is there some home cooking. Possibly. Personally don’t buy into BE ref conspiracy. They took Scheierman and Alexander out for much of the game.

When Danny loses his cool and goes overboard on the refs we get some targeted calls. Lately he’s been relatively reserved and it hasn’t happened.

Reaction Score
I agree, we need another true Big. And for a Bigs Coach - Clyde Vaughn anyone? He was recently at XL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom