Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

It was a great atmosphere today and I will be briefer than usual today because the 1999 team is my all time favorite team and had some social stuff going on after the game.

We competed the last 10 minutes of the second half, although we don’t have the go to guy to score or get fouled and convert that we need. We had a 16 point run on great defense but left too many points on the table. One highlight in that run was Tyler begging for the ball on the 3 line, got over looked on the first option but then asked for it again and nailed a three. I would like more of that from him. In the first half he had maybe 3 points, maybe 1 rebound and was a nonproductive drifter.

If Josh could finish on his shots inside, we would have won. Today it wasn’t that they blocked his shots, it was there was no explosion on his moves or follow through. Bottomline, the ball did not go in. Sal’s number 1 assignment is to give Josh the physical tools to have a minimum amount of explosion to the basket and the strength to power the ball up in close quarters.

The other points left on the table, were missed foul shots. Cobb in particular. Granted, Cobb played well in stretches. Why not more often?

Chief still thinks it’s a mistake playing Gilbert. True, we would have lost by more if he did not play but there was at least 4 or 5 moments of concern. If I was UConn’s medical staff I would put ego aside, and check with PC regarding how they managed Dunn’s shoulder.

I liked playing two Bigs at the same time to give our opponents another look. So seeing Eric and Josh together was good to see.

I know the 1999 guys are grown men and some a little overweight. But, they certainly pass the big and tough eye test -something our current team needs to do.

They had a front court rotation of Jake, Kevin, Rip, Wane and Edmond. Rash and Ricky were two very tough guards. We need more of that Big and toughness thing today.

It was interesting CV did not start. True, he played poorly last game but he really played outside his role. He is not a PG even for a few minutes.

The final observation by Chief today is that all screens today seem set above the foul line. I use to love how the 1999 team use the double screens on the blocks or two guys on one side with Rip running off them. I think you could produce a great corner 3 off that scheme that Donyell took in the mid 1990’s and also some mid range stuff. I wish we would try that sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It was a great atmosphere today and I will be briefer than usual today because the 1999 team is my all time favorite team and had some social stuff going on after the game.

We competed the last 10 minutes of the second half, although we don’t have the go to guy to score or get foul and convert that we need. We had a 16 point run on great defense but left too many points on the table. One highlight in that run was Tyler begging for the ball on the 3 line, got over looked on the first option but then asked for it again and nailed a three. I would like more of that from him. In the first half he had maybe 3 points, maybe 1 rebound and was a nonproductive drifter.

If Josh could finish on his shots inside, we would have won. Today it wasn’t that they blocked his shots, it was there was no explosion on his moves or follow through. Bottomline, the ball did not go in. Sal’s number 1 assignment is to give Josh the physical tools to have a minimum amount of explosion to the basket and the strength to power the ball up in close quarters.

The other points left on the table, were missed foul shots. Cobb in particular. Granted, Cobb played well in stretches. Why not more often?

Chief still thinks it’s a mistake playing Gilbert. True, we would have lost by more if he did not play but there was at least 4 or 5 moments of concern. If I was UConn’s medical staff I would put ego aside, and check with PC regarding how they managed Dunn’s shoulder.

I liked playing two Bigs at the same time to give our opponents another look. So seeing Eric and Josh together was good to see.

I know the 1999 guys are grown men and some a little overweight. But, they certainly pass the big and tough eye test -something our current team needs to do.

They had a front court rotation of Jake, Kevin, Rip, Wane and Edmond. Rash and Ricky were two very tough guards. We need more of that Big and toughness thing today.

It was interesting CV did not start. True, he played poorly last game but he really played outside his role. He is not a PG even for a few minutes.

The final observation by Chief today is that all screens today seem set above the foul line. I use to love how the 1999 team use the double screens on the blocks or two guys on one side with Rip running off them. I think you could produce a great corner 3 off that scheme that Donyell took in the mid 1990’s and also some mid range stuff. I wish we would try that sometimes.

That last one is perfect for vital to run off of.

I wanna know why he didn’t start. His benching should’ve been earlier in the year, not now.

Reaction Score
Loved the late three from Tyler Polley, but man, I don't think I've ever seen this stat line before:

32 minutes
6 points
0 ft
0 fta
0 rebounds
0 assists
0 blocks
0 steals
0 turnovers
0 fouls

Reaction Score
Seems like you'd almost have to (playing 32 minutes) TRY to get ZEROES in all those categories that Polley did today.!

C

Chief00

That last one is perfect for vital to run off of.

I wanna know why he didn’t start. His benching should’ve been earlier in the year, not now.

I honestly don’t know, I had so much going on today outside the lines. To me having the 1999 team together was my focus and a fun, competitive game.
One sad thing for Chief though was the absence of Ricky Moore. Much like KO his recent behavior is so self defeating. I know there was a real effort to get Ricky to come and it’s just too bad it did not happen. Ricky may not feel he was treated well, I understand that. However, he needs to get back in circulation

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to put Cobb in the doghouse earlier in the season really derailed us (in addition to many other things). Was it just that Hurley favored giving the younger guy more PT? He is a good rebounder and his passing on the block is very nice. Plus he’s the only guy on the team who has completed puberty.

I always thought Rashmael Jones looked way older in college and today he looks way older than 42/43. Someone check his birth certificate!

Reaction Score
The game was about 32 minutes of ugh and 8 minutes of UConn basketball. Opening half struggles again and just no consistency when it comes to scoring.
Polley just doesn’t do a lot other than score when he’s hitting his shot. Again , his 3’s were when the pass was in his chest and he was able to set and shoot. Cincy played man to man and some matchnup zones which basically took Polley out of the game. He’s basically a designated spot up shooter. Good to have someone like that but maybe bring him off the bench to get points.
Gilbert was a liability on D. Still a little gun shy and he didn’t apply on ball pressure like he did before he was hurt.
Early second half transition D was horrible.
I had the same thoughts about our front court players finishing at the rim. They just don’t do it.
I would expect Gilbert and Vital to be back in the starting lineup next game. If we are going to get off to any kind of good start they need to be on the floor.

Reaction Score
Great crowd nice come back maybe by ACC Tour. we will be able to make a run with a 75% AG and JA. Hate it when we don't pick and roll correctly and get beat by teams that do it right.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to put Cobb in the doghouse earlier in the season really derailed us (in addition to many other things). Was it just that Hurley favored giving the younger guy more PT? He is a good rebounder and his passing on the block is very nice. Plus he’s the only guy on the team who has completed puberty.

I always thought Rashmael Jones looked way older in college and today he looks way older than 42/43. Someone check his birth certificate!

He cannot even begin to defend. Any other positive contributions he makes are mitigated. If he can figure that out je could have a nice overseas career

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Loved the late three from Tyler Polley, but man, I don't think I've ever seen this stat line before:

32 minutes
6 points
0 ft
0 fta
0 rebounds
0 assists
0 blocks
0 steals
0 turnovers
0 fouls
simple answer, guy's a wuss. for many students as well as athletes, something mentally kicks in between sophomore and junior years, kinda like 'where am I going?' will this happen for mr. polley? idk, but here's to hoping that it will. his boxscore against rough and tumble cinncinati looks ridiculous.....'Stop Touching Me!'' lol.

C

Chief00

My now deceased uncle use to say that about Rash.
I agree on Cobb, the only thing I could get was that he screwed up on defensive assignments. Although, I think Josh messed up his share too. I don’t know if anyone on the team has mastered that top of the key switch thing.
If both J Adams and Gilbert were healthy - for the team to be good - both Josh and Eric would need to perform.

Reaction Score
One sad thing for Chief though was the absence of Ricky Moore. Much like KO his recent behavior is so self defeating. I know there was a real effort to get Ricky to come and it’s just too bad it did not happen. Ricky may not feel he was treated well, I understand that. However, he needs to get back in circulation
Is he just using the ongoing investigation as an excuse or is he really unhappy about how he was treated?

I am unable to attend this celebration with my family, former teammates and coaches because, as a former UConn men’s basketball assistant coach, there is a current NCAA investigation of the program under Coach Ollie’s tenure. As part of the ongoing investigation, I am unable to speak about the program, or the current state of affairs and definitely do not want to detract from the recognition and celebration which the 1999 National Championship Team deserves.

Please note that I have fully cooperated with the NCAA and the University of Connecticut during this investigation and I’m pleased to announce that I recently received a letter of clearance of any allegations of wrongdoing on my part. Thus I look forward to resuming my coaching career at the collegiate level very soon.

Ricky Moore won’t be at UConn’s 1999 title team celebration Sunday, citing ongoing NCAA investigation

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is he just using the ongoing investigation as an excuse or is he really unhappy about how he was treated?

I am unable to attend this celebration with my family, former teammates and coaches because, as a former UConn men’s basketball assistant coach, there is a current NCAA investigation of the program under Coach Ollie’s tenure. As part of the ongoing investigation, I am unable to speak about the program, or the current state of affairs and definitely do not want to detract from the recognition and celebration which the 1999 National Championship Team deserves.

Please note that I have fully cooperated with the NCAA and the University of Connecticut during this investigation and I’m pleased to announce that I recently received a letter of clearance of any allegations of wrongdoing on my part. Thus I look forward to resuming my coaching career at the collegiate level very soon.

Ricky Moore won’t be at UConn’s 1999 title team celebration Sunday, citing ongoing NCAA investigation

If Calhoun supported the rat that put you in the NCAA crosshairs would you come up and gladhand?

Dude had his entire coaching career on the line and Calhoun welcomed Miller to SJU.

Yeah RM should just ignore the fact that he was considered collateral damage by Calhoun and the AD and come hang out

Reaction Score

Thank you. (not for being brief but for letting us know why)

Reaction Score

32 minutes
6 points
0 ft
0 fta
0 rebounds
0 assists
0 blocks
0 steals
0 turnovers
0 fouls

It's been well documented that, despite getting major minutes at the 4, he does absolutely nothing to get involved in the paint. You'd think he would get a rebound or two by accident, but even that doesn't happen.

At least he didn't hurt us beyond the otherwise non-contribution. Sid Wilson was 1/6 with 1 rebound, and also committed 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 20 minutes, not to mention being clueless on D including on the crucial final possession. Brendan Adams's 9 minutes amounted to 1 missed shot and absolutely nothing else.

Too many guys that just have no business in a game against high-major competition.

Reaction Score

We competed the last 10 minutes of the second half, although we don’t have the go to guy to score or get fouled and convert that we need. We had a 16 point run on great defense but left too many points on the table. One highlight in that run was Tyler begging for the ball on the 3 line, got over looked on the first option but then asked for it again and nailed a three. I would like more of that from him. In the first half he had maybe 3 points, maybe 1 rebound and was a nonproductive drifter.

The playing time is crucial for AG. Every minute he plays this year is a deposit for next year. This will pay big dividends next year.

He has sat way too long. He needs to feel what it's like to play and play banged up. Rather have him go through it now. Plus with Adams out, he is being force fed chemistry with Carlton and Vital and Polley. Treating him like glass would retard his (and the team's) growth.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Re: playing Alterique.

Is he returning? Maybe he drives this "I'm playing" decision due to not being sure if this is his last season.

I remember a video clip of an incoming recruit who mention AG as if he might be moving on.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Re: playing Alterique.

Is he returning? Maybe he drives this "I'm playing" decision due to not being sure if this is his last season.

I remember a video clip of an incoming recruit who mention AG as if he might be moving on.
Where is he going? Watch the Hurley presser. He is our leader and he ain’t going anywhere.

C

Chief00

The playing time is crucial for AG. Every minute he plays this year is a deposit for next year. This will pay big dividends next year.

He has sat way too long. He needs to feel what it's like to play and play banged up. Rather have him go through it now. Plus with Adams out, he is being force fed chemistry with Carlton and Vital and Polley. Treating him like glass would retard his (and the team's) growth.
It was painful to watch. I don’t think he’s ready or else I would agree with you.

Reaction Score

You should put a bug in Hurley's ear about the 1999 screens. Might get you a seat on the bench.

C

Chief00

You should put a bug in Hurley's ear about the 1999 screens. Might get you a seat on the bench.

More likely a kick in the seat of my pants. LOL. Seriously, if the right moment comes up, I would mention it.
In fact, Tom Moore could teach it and it would be great to get the video guys to show all the options off it we used.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Where is he going? Watch the Hurley presser. He is our leader and he ain’t going anywhere.
Two rehab years. This season is great to have him but Grief stated he probably should have sat out the rest of the season. Why?

Shoot, I want him back for two more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom