Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Chief. Are those for people who didn't watch the game? Are they suppose to be insights? "Martin knocked down some key threes," yeah, we know. What is the point of the "briefs" which seem to be getting longer and longer with no increase in meaningful content.

No offense....but really.
Thank you for your feedback. Always appreciate and will be considered.

C

Chief00

But what is the answer to my questions?
I rather take in the feedback and consider it than immediately respond to its contents. The Briefs are always a work in progress and a balancing act. Feedback is how it hopefully keeps getting better. Often I get criticized for leaving out a guy who made a couple key shots. Normally in a Briefs there’s a mix of analysis and yes what you saw watching the game. Often times one sees things in the moment but then the magic of the Briefs is to put it in context or tie it to a strategy. We had a star go out last game and had another key player try to come back this game, while yet another key player has finally found himself in a long recovery from an ACL. So everything you see in a game has context.

Reaction Score
I really enjoy martins game. Outside of the fact that he has had a tough time with his touch around the hoop all season he brings so much toughness and grit to the floor. Great rebounder for a guy his size. Let’s hope he continues to stroke it from 3 like he did today.

Reaction Score
Tyrese just seems like he’s rushing things in the lane to get the shot off. Just needs to gather for a split second more.

honestly, I think he also should think less finesse and more just explode and dunk. He’s already shown he can do it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
!. When you don't have effective guard play after 6 games -
a. You'd better play your arse off on D
b. You'd better rebound on both ends of the court

UConn has done both and it has resulted in Ws but how long can this last when PGs can't effectively run an offense and take pressure off the guys inside?

Road wins are nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reaction Score
!. When you don't have effective guard play after 6 games -
a. You'd better play your arse off on D
b. You'd better rebound on both ends of the court

UConn has done both and it has resulted in Ws but how long can this last when PGs can't effectively run an offense and take pressure off the guys inside?

Road wins are nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I don’t think they have been tremendous (assume you are leaving out Bouk) but you are way to critical

Reaction Score
Did anyone else get nervous when they saw the replay of a player falling into Martin’s knee?? Classic way of tearing an MCL/ACL - exact same way my college teammate tore his.

Martin was limping for a few possessions but then seemed fine. Maybe he’s just too strong to get injured?

Reaction Score
I rather take in the feedback and consider it than immediately respond to its contents. The Briefs are always a work in progress and a balancing act. Feedback is how it hopefully keeps getting better. Often I get criticized for leaving out a guy who made a couple key shots. Normally in a Briefs there’s a mix of analysis and yes what you saw watching the game. Often times one sees things in the moment but then the magic of the Briefs is to put it in context or tie it to a strategy. We had a star go out last game and had another key player try to come back this game, while yet another key player has finally found himself in a long recovery from an ACL. So everything you see in a game has context.

The absolute best thing about this post is that it’s sincere.

A double digit road win without your best player is a win you should take and move on. That said, Butler stinks. They should have won this game by 20+.

I don’t get the panic about Cole (not from you, Chief, but generally). He’s obviously not scoring like he was at Howard but when he’s in the game the offense at least seems threatening. I don’t know what’s going on with Gaffney - I get that the Big East is different than high school, that’s why the posts calling for Diggins are so dumb, Gaffney looked like a stud in high school too - but he looks like a shell of the player he was in high school. He just needs to be better. Whether it’s more aggressive, more confident, whatever. He’s gotta take the next step.

Happy about the win. Whaley continues to amaze me with his improvement. His left handed jump hook is automatic and he’s one of the best distributors on the team. This squad is just always better when he’s on the floor.

Reaction Score
Chief.. I never thought I would say this.. But I agree with most of your analysis..

I wouldn't get too giddy about that statement..I'm casual..

Keep Chiefin'

C

Chief00

The absolute best thing about this post is that it’s sincere.

A double digit road win without your best player is a win you should take and move on. That said, Butler stinks. They should have won this game by 20+.

I don’t get the panic about Cole (not from you, Chief, but generally). He’s obviously not scoring like he was at Howard but when he’s in the game the offense at least seems threatening. I don’t know what’s going on with Gaffney - I get that the Big East is different than high school, that’s why the posts calling for Diggins are so dumb, Gaffney looked like a stud in high school too - but he looks like a shell of the player he was in high school. He just needs to be better. Whether it’s more aggressive, more confident, whatever. He’s gotta take the next step.

Happy about the win. Whaley continues to amaze me with his improvement. His left handed jump hook is automatic and he’s one of the best distributors on the team. This squad is just always better when he’s on the floor.
I expect more from Gaffney too. Modest quantity, but I am always comforted by 3 assists and 1 turnover though. He shoots a terrible 30% from the field but 85% from the line. Again modest quantity but foul shooting is important for a point guard. He just needs to get in the gym and shoot until he can shoot with confidence in a game. Whaley, Adams and Martin put up the numbers the team needed from them in support of Polley.

C

Chief00

Chief.. I never thought I would say this.. But I agree with most of your analysis..

I wouldn't get too giddy about that statement..I'm casual..

Keep Chiefin'
Chief recognizes the “casual” nature of the contribution, but has always valued and admired UConn’s casual fans. Thank You,

Reaction Score
Not that you ever wish for an injury, especially to your best player, but I really think the loss of Bouknight’s scoring forced this team to play team basketball and stop relying on one guy. plus I want to thank Santa for giving us a 3 point shooter for Christmas, even if it was one that was there all the time. In the current game if you can’t shoot 3s consistently you can’t win Consistently. Polley gives us a weapon we have been missing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Thank you for your feedback. Always appreciate and will be considered.
Lol, did anyone else read this as "Thank you for interest in Chief's Briefs."

Reaction Score
Chief. Are those for people who didn't watch the game? Are they suppose to be insights? "Martin knocked down some key threes," yeah, we know. What is the point of the "briefs" which seem to be getting longer and longer with no increase in meaningful content.

No offense....but really.
I find Chief's Briefs both fun to read and informative.... Just sayin'....

Reaction Score
Whenever Gafney is on the floor good things happen.
Does everything well .
Locks up his man
Finds the right player at the right time on offense.
Rebounds with anyone ,big guard
Makes his free throws in the clutch always.
No wonder Bouk went after Gaf and wanted him during recruiting.
Did you see Bouk and AJ on the sidelines during the game into,it for their teammates?
Good job Chief.

Reaction Score
We also found out that Josh actually can dunk the ball! That steal, 3/4 court drive and slam finish was his best play of the game

Reaction Score
Whenever Gafney is on the floor good things happen.
Does everything well .
Locks up his man
Finds the right player at the right time on offense.
Rebounds with anyone ,big guard
Makes his free throws in the clutch always.
No wonder Bouk went after Gaf and wanted him during recruiting.
Did you see Bouk and AJ on the sidelines during the game into,it for their teammates?
Good job Chief.
hum I'm going to have to re-watch our games because I must be missing many of the good things

C

Chief00

hum I'm going to have to re-watch our games because I must be missing many of the good things

We do a lot of things that provides a floor that keeps us in games and to be in position to win if we hit some shots. However, I don’t believe, as stated in another thread, that we are a top 10 team. We really have just one good win on our resume and a loss is a loss. Given guys trying to be incorporated into the team after long rehabs from injuries and adjusting to the recent Bouknight situation - we may be a top 10 team at some point later this season but these things need to be worked out - if we can first play enough of games that we can create a resume. Right now, we just need to continue The Grind that Chief preaches and stay focus. Let’s not get caught up in foolish top 10 rankings arguments with this stretchy of a season and resume thus far.
Chief may not tell you what you want to hear, but I promise you I keep it real. Facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
We do a lot of things that provides a floor that keeps us in games and to be in position to win if we hit some shots. However, I don’t believe, as stated in another thread, that we are a top 10 team. We really have just one good win on our resume and a loss is a loss. Given guys trying to be incorporated into the team after long rehabs from injuries and adjusting to the recent Bouknight situation - we may be a top 10 team at some point later this season but these things need to be worked out - if we can first play enough of games that we can create a resume. Right now, we just need to continue The Grind that Chief preaches and stay focus. Let’s not get caught up in foolish top 10 rankings arguments with this stretchy of a season and resume thus far.
Chief may not tell you what you want to hear, but I promise you I keep it real. Facts.
the team has chemistry. the only 'metric' that can measure this is wins. we've been winning a lot in the past 15-20 games. ten deep is another special quality not easily 'metricked.'
there really are a lot of stinko teams this season. on the udder hand, and with the eligibility clock turned off now, i reasonably expect the comp next season to be close to roman coliseum level.

ten deep + chemistry = top ten team.

C

Chief00

the team has chemistry. the only 'metric' that can measure this is wins. we've been winning a lot in the past 15-20 games. ten deep is another special quality not easily 'metricked.'
there really are a lot of stinko teams this season. on the udder hand, and with the eligibility clock turned off now, i reasonably expect the comp next season to be close to roman coliseum level.

ten deep + chemistry = top ten team.
I like our defense now that we are not committing too many foolish fouls. We bring out bad offensive games in our opponents. Rebounding is good too. I guess I just have a different assessment of the national landscape. If when Bouknight comes back and Tyler’s production doesn’t fall too much - then I start to see some possibilities. Martin needs to finish better and Cole needs to figure out what his offensive arsenal should consist of at this level.
Let’s focus on playing fundamental ball rather than foolish ranking talk at this time (my apologies in advance to our wonderful casual fans).

Last edited by a moderator:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I like our defense now that we are not committing too many foolish fouls. We bring out bad offensive games in our opponents. Rebounding is good too. I guess I just have a different assessment of the national landscape. If when Bouknight comes back and Tyler’s production doesn’t fall too much - then I start to see some possibilities. Martin needs to finish better and Cole needs to figure out what his offensive arsenal should consist of at this level.
i have no doubt that ur knowledge of the current landscape is informed, exemplary, and tempered by experience.
whether in grammar school or in the nba, teams with exemplary chemistry, a few big horses, and folks on the bench raring to go, are always successful. give any of these squads a superstar (young james) to go along with the other parts, and the sky is the limit.
im not sold that:
polley can handle or board, but it doesn't matter.
rj can score regularly, but it doesn't matter.
adama will make j's, but it doesn't matter.
josh can pass, but it doesn't matter.
akok can hit threes, but it doesn't matter.
adams can d up consistently, but it doesn't matter.

someone else will.
it doesn't matter, bcuz if everyone just does what they can do well, and reasonably expected to do, then that's all that is needed for success, having a smart coach like dan.

there really are a lot of stinko teams this season, and all of the constant hype aboot 'that team,' or 'that player' falls deaf to my eyes. someone will win it, why not us? we have legit talent. aren't there already a few on this squad whose names have reached draft 'whisper status,' with one being talked aboot as lottery potential?

C

Chief00

i have no doubt that ur knowledge of the current landscape is informed, exemplary, and tempered by experience.
whether in grammar school or in the nba, teams with exemplary chemistry, a few big horses, and folks on the bench raring to go, are always successful. give any of these squads a superstar (young james) to go along with the other parts, and the sky is the limit.
im not sold that:
polley can handle or board, but it doesn't matter.
rj can score regularly, but it doesn't matter.
adama will make j's, but it doesn't matter.
josh can pass, but it doesn't matter.
akok can hit threes, but it doesn't matter.
adams can d up consistently, but it doesn't matter.

someone else will.
it doesn't matter, bcuz if everyone just does what they can do well, and reasonably expected to do, then that's all that is needed for success, having a smart coach like dan.

there really are a lot of stinko teams this season, and all of the constant hype aboot 'that team,' or 'that player' falls deaf to my eyes. someone will win it, why not us? we have legit talent. aren't there already a few on this squad whose names have reached draft 'whisper status,' with one being talked aboot as lottery potential?
The more guys, who demonstrate they can score somewhat consistently, the more my optimism will grow. It’s great people are excited about this team, Chief is too. Just trying to keep things real and tamper expectations for the coaching staff a little because they are the first ones some will turn on (not referring to you) if we have a couple “disappointing” loses.
Over 2 years ago, Chief predicted the “Dam Break” and James came on board. So none of this surprises me, yet due to the unusual nature of our schedule and injury situations I just don’t want to get too far in front of myself. If we had played FL, NC State, PC and Vandy and still performed well then I would be in that place.
Thank you for making the case.

Reaction Score
Chief I love what i’m seeing from our boys. But don’t you think we need top 10 wins to be a top 10 team? USC and an OT loss are nice but if we want to be one of the big boys we need to start beating them. THEN we’re back baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom