Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Guys continue to play tough and step up. Tyler got going at just the right time when James went down. His 3 ball opens up passing lanes and spacing for our Bigs.

Defense and Rebounding are our foundation. Additionally, the frequency of foolish fouls has declined the last few games.. While our shooting percentage was ok, shooting doesn’t come naturally for us except Tyler and James. We get just enough.

Martin knocked down some key second half threes. Adams scores in a variety of ways when the opportunity presents itself. Whaley and Sanogo stay active in the paint.

Chief thought a combination of length and aggressiveness on defense mixed with sloppiness with the ball by Butler all combined to help create a good base for the win.

Cole and Gaffney aren’t flashy but both are solid and helped run a steady offense.

Akok looked like a guy who hadn’t played in a long time. Chief warned the well meaning casual fans how difficult it is to come off a very difficult injury in mid season with various Covid interruptions along the way.

Butler found their footing with about 12 minutes left and starting running a much smoother offense. But, we found out the benefit of playing from ahead rather than from behind and hung on for the win.

Another thing we did well was to take it to the basket down the stretch to get to the line and put pressure on their defense.

Polley is our CV from last season on the FT line at closing time. With injuries our depth has been a real blessing.

Reaction Score
Impressive. It's not easy to win on the road in college basketball, its also not easy to win without your best player. We pretty much did that two games in a row, and the crazy thing about all of this, we still have not played a game at full strength with a full roster.

C

Chief00

Impressive. It's not easy to win on the road in college basketball, its also not easy to win without your best player. We pretty much did that two games in a row, and the crazy thing about all of this, we still have not played a game at full strength with a full roster.
Interesting, I was thinking about the road and the few fan Covid road. I think it’s still a challenge and hats off to the players and staff.

Reaction Score
Polley is in “the zone”.
I think his uptick the last couple of games has to do with getting in more practice and all around court time. The strengthening of his knee shows in his shot and his confidence.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Our defense and rebounding is next level. A couple years ago this team couldn't get a single offensive rebound. Martin is so active and the key to our success. Eventually those bunnies will start to fall.

Reaction Score
Good Brief, Chief.

I thought as a team, the difference in the 2nd half was that we only had 2 TOs. The 10 TOs and 18 points off TOs (I think) was the thing that killed us early.

Our 3 point defense is exceptional. You can see what the goal is--Take away the 3 with pressure and have shotblocking 4s and 5s to clean up when guys get by and drive.

I thought Hurley did a great job tonight in general. Didn't miss any obvious TOs. Substitutions made sense. Offense looked good Xs and Os wise, despite not having our best scorer. He's growing just as much as this team is. I'll stick by my prediction that he's the coach for our future.

6-1 is a great place to be. Probably top 25 by every major outlet and tournament bound. 3rd in the NBE. What a turnaround.

Whaley had a meh first half, and totally dominated during our late runs without even needing to score that much. 3 blocks, 2 steals, over 50% from the field including a couple of jumpers... I can't get over how good he has gotten with hard work.

Cole is definitely the better option than Gaffney right now, most of the time. Particularly when he isn't taking dumb shots, he does everything Gaffney does but with better defense. That being said, I don't think either of these guys should be considered the PG of the future for us.

Tyrese--when he is making shots is a VERY good player to have. He was solid+ on defense, and seems to always be getting tough rebounds. He really needs to get in the gym every day and work on finishing. No touch at all, but I think that can be learned. I'm really happy we recruited him.

Carlton--didn't really stick out to me.

Polley--his shooting is outrageously good. What a talent. Without him we lose this game in the first half tonight. The spacing he provides let's all of the guards get to the rim even when he isn't getting his shots.

Sanogo--had some good minutes early on, and the defense looks better. Once he's a step quicker mentally and stops fouling, his minutes will go up.

Adams--didn't stick out to me really, and that's a good thing. When he does his job, we are at our best. That job is not trying to score 20 a game. If he sticks to his job, he has a role on this top 25 team.

Akok--obviously gets a pass. I think we did a good job getting him a few minutes here and there.

Reaction Score
Chief nailed that Brief. And he did it quicker than the unselfish yet attacking, distributing, floor general we need.

Reaction Score
Chief. Are those for people who didn't watch the game? Are they suppose to be insights? "Martin knocked down some key threes," yeah, we know. What is the point of the "briefs" which seem to be getting longer and longer with no increase in meaningful content.

No offense....but really.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Guys continue to play tough and step up. Tyler got going at just the right time when James went down. His 3 ball opens up passing lanes and spacing for our Bigs.

Defense and Rebounding are our foundation. Additionally, the frequency of foolish fouls has declined the last few games.. While our shooting percentage was ok, shooting doesn’t come naturally for us except Tyler and James. We get just enough.

Martin knocked down some key second half threes. Adams scores in a variety of ways when the opportunity presents itself. Whaley and Sanogo stay active in the paint.

Chief thought a combination of length and aggressiveness on defense mixed with sloppiness with the ball by Butler all combined to help create a good base for the win.

Cole and Gaffney aren’t flashy but both are solid and helped run a steady offense.

Akok looked like a guy who hadn’t played in a long time. Chief warned the well meaning casual fans how difficult it is to come off a very difficult injury in mid season with various Covid interruptions along the way.

Butler found their footing with about 12 minutes left and starting running a much smoother offense. But, we found out the benefit of playing from ahead rather than from behind and hung on for the win.

Another thing we did well was to take it to the basket down the stretch to get to the line and put pressure on their defense.

Polley is our CV from last season on the FT line at closing time. With injuries our depth has been a real blessing.
Great game and I agree Chief. However what I saw Butler through out, they were slicing and dicing to the hoop at will. I didn't calculate but I bet they were over 80% easy making layups on driving through the defense. Seems like they couldn't miss. If they were decent three point shooters it might of been a close game.

Reaction Score
Great game and I agree Chief. However what I saw Butler through out, they were slicing and dicing to the hoop at will. I didn't calculate but I bet they were over 80% easy making layups on driving through the defense. Seems like they couldn't miss. If they were decent three point shooters it might of been a close game.
Adams on the ball defense was bad. They were giving the ball to whomever he was guarding

C

Chief00

True, but that was one 5-7 minute stretch in a 40 minute game. I can tell you Chief oftens draws a conclusion on a 5 minute stretch and then I have to go back and dilute the observation and put it in full game context. There are often cross currents throughout a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom