Chief’s Briefs - Arkansas PB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Arkansas PB

Reaction Score
Top of the drawer Chief. My biggest concern is free throwing Clingan and Castle.
You can't stay on the floor on a championship team if you can't shoot free throws.

Reaction Score
Castle is so good at assisting on 3s. He is always probing with eyes up and throws a damn good skip pass. To have a kid who is being mocked in the top half of the lottery and yet is all-in as a playmaker and defender - we are lucky. Stew’s pull up is a pro move. His first bucket was nice too. I couldn’t tell if he moved his pivot after rewatching twice.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That’s kinda a vulnerability for any team ever
Teams always look great when the ball goes through the hoop. If only it was as easy as saying we need to shoot at a higher % and will a shot not to miss. It’s not like missed shots are not meant to go in. If a jumper is a good shot within the flow, some days you will just make more of them than others. We have all seen a lot of games when a very good shooter looks like they never made a shot in their lives. Why some nights a guy can’t miss and vice versa when the mechanics seem the same, who knows.

Reaction Score
Top of the drawer Chief. My biggest concern is free throwing Clingan and Castle.
You can't stay on the floor on a championship team if you can't shoot free throws.
Castle is shooting 76% from the line, not great for a guard but ok. Donovan is in the low 50’s but different standard for a Big but still higher than that.

Reaction Score
Must be tough to absolutely play your A game on the road and be down by double figures at the half. Then we turned it into a 40 point game the second half on 58% shooting. But, that’s their problem not ours.

Foul Shooting is mostly about who you foul. In the first half Clingan shot 3-6 (50%), while the other guys foul shot 9-10 (90%). Donovan’s foul shot technically has potential. He tends to miss the first and make the second shot when he settles down, bends his knees better and has more focus/flow in his release. On the other hand, Clingan was 3-3 in the first half from the field despite physical defense. Therefore, the scouting report will be to foul him when he has good position on a shot.

Karaban, Newton, Clingan and Spencer were our stars today. Ironically, Karaban’s finger injury/3 ball slump has only made his offense better. His cutting is elite, John Havlicek like offensive movement and offensive rebounds. And today his deep 3 ball came back going 6-8.

Stewart was the freshman who had a solid game that made a statement for playing time.

Meanwhile, 50% 3 point shooting by Arkansas PB kept it from being a complete blowout early but fell back to 40% later. UConn shot 25% from the three during the first half, before warming up in the second half to 46% expanding our lead.

As Chief posted earlier Stephon told me this week his knee was fine and it certainly looked so. He is an amazing player and can take us to another level making everyone better and his defense is amazing for a freshman.

I liked our play the second half, definitely something we can build on in Seattle. Certain guys got their confidence back and turning corner and certain injuries.

I was really impressed with AKPB, the final score is so misleading. They went toe-to-toe in with us in the first half, and it wasn't as if we weren't playing well. Even when the lead swelled it was more about us playing great. Made for a far more entertaining and competitive challenge than I expected.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"HackaShaq" is always a possibility with 7+ Footers. Both Clingan and Johnson are so important on the defensive end, one will be in during crunch time, but may not be prominantly involved in the offense down the stretch.

I could see them going small on offense, where they can, and reinserting one of them on defense.

Opponents must also consider their own foul situation. Fouls to give, with 5 apiece, are more important than forcing a 50/50 free throw.

Reaction Score
My biggest question coming out of this game is … when are you going to get Castle, Tristen and Co. to Red Fox for another NIL event, Chief? I’ve got a couple kids who I’d love to take to meet them this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My biggest question coming out of this game is … when are you going to get Castle, Tristen and Co. to Red Fox for another NIL event, Chief? I’ve got a couple kids who I’d love to take to meet them this season.
Tristen and Stephen were there Thursday, Dec 7th for a private party and the host generously agreed to let them mingle with the public in the bar area.

Reaction Score
IMG_4384.jpeg
IMG_4380.jpeg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Teams always look great when the ball goes through the hoop. If only it was as easy as saying we need to shoot at a higher % and will a shot not to miss. It’s not like missed shots are not meant to go in. If a jumper is a good shot within the flow, some days you will just make more of them than others. We have all seen a lot of games when a very good shooter looks like they never made a shot in their lives. Why some nights a guy can’t miss and vice versa when the mechanics seem the same, who knows.
In that first half we were missing wide open threes. For the most part their threes were contested. The only thing you can control is the set ups on offense and defense and we did that well.

The answer for why players don't shoot 100% all the time is we're human and not machines. You know. To err is human to forgive divine. After a loss this forum is full of humans and divinity is absent.

Reaction Score
"HackaShaq" is always a possibility with 7+ Footers. Both Clingan and Johnson are so important on the defensive end, one will be in during crunch time, but may not be prominantly involved in the offense down the stretch.

I could see them going small on offense, where they can, and reinserting one of them on defense.

Opponents must also consider their own foul situation. Fouls to give, with 5 apiece, are more important than forcing a 50/50 free throw.
Good point, especially when we have a foul-drawing savant like Newton. Want to hack Clingan and get us to the double bonus? Our PG will just lean into a defender any time he wants and get to the line for 2. Castle actually gets to the line even more often than Newton.

Reaction Score
awesome
It was a pleasure to have Tristen and Stephon. They did a fabulous job and the kids (and adults) in Middletown loved them.
They met the owner, who cooked their steaks in the kitchen. Andre’s mom’s family owned a restaurant and she liked the chef restaurant owner rather than the wallet owner. So Andre would visit him in the kitchen. It turned into a joke about the Red Fox kitchen career path to NBA with Andre at $7.6 million over 4 years. Both Tristen and Stephon have a chance to meet or exceed that. Good for them, but first things first - another NC.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Castle is shooting 76% from the line, not great for a guard but ok. Donovan is in the low 50’s but different standard for a Big but still higher than that.
Game I went to vs. Stonybrook Castle was 5/5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom