Chicago Trib: West Virginia's move could prompt Irish to think Big Ten (along with Rutgers) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chicago Trib: West Virginia's move could prompt Irish to think Big Ten (along with Rutgers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cuse, Pitt, UConn, WV, Rutgers, etc. better get used to the idea that NONE of them can deliver the NYC market for football. And what they do with football and NYC is practically irrelevant. These teams may be/have been invited to the big conferences for totally different reasons than football's pull in NYC.[/quote]

I think anyone looking at Uconn or RU delivering the NYC market is looking at it backwards. As I see it, the correct way to look at it is this way. Which schools can Uconn and RU host that will deliver the NYC market? And the answer is in order- Notre Dame, Penn St, Michigan and Ohio St.

Most of the posters here realize that between Syracuse, Rutgers and Uconn that none of them "own" or "deliver" the NYC market. The question is, Uconn vs. __________ (fill in the blank) or Rutgers vs_________ gets the best ratings. There isn't any doubt in my mind based on the numbers thrown around that the Big10 will deliver the best ratings for football.

Reaction Score
Cuse, Pitt, UConn, WV, Rutgers, etc. better get used to the idea that NONE of them can deliver the NYC market for football. And what they do with football and NYC is practically irrelevant. These teams may be/have been invited to the big conferences for totally different reasons than football's pull in NYC.

I think anyone looking at Uconn or RU delivering the NYC market is looking at it backwards. As I see it, the correct way to look at it is this way. Which schools can Uconn and RU host that will deliver the NYC market? And the answer is in order- Notre Dame, Penn St, Michigan and Ohio St.

Most of the posters here realize that between Syracuse, Rutgers and Uconn that none of them "own" or "deliver" the NYC market. The question is, Uconn vs. __________ (fill in the blank) or Rutgers vs_________ gets the best ratings. There isn't any doubt in my mind based on the numbers thrown around that the Big10 will deliver the best ratings for football.[/quote]

Yes. The hope, and my belief, is that if OSU and MIchigan and others were coming to Metro NY regularly to play games against local opponents, we will end up with far more NY college football fans than we have now. There is little doubt that, while growth is slow, the Big East has been increasing interest in Metro NY.

Reaction Score
Yes. The hope, and my belief, is that if OSU and MIchigan and others were coming to Metro NY regularly to play games against local opponents, we will end up with far more NY college football fans than we have now. There is little doubt that, while growth is slow, the Big East has been increasing interest in Metro NY.

I agree with this but sometimes I think those paltry 1% of household numbers are so low that it will take ages if ever to make them rise.

Consider, UConn averages a 6 rating for regular season basketball games on SNY for ALL of Connecticut (not only DMAs, obviously, since SNY is a cable channel).

This means that UConn basketball games are much more lucrative for SNY than Rutgers football games in NYC for ESPN.

Reaction Score
Worth noting that Missouri is still silent about their conference affiliation.

I don't know why the SEC wants Missouri, if I were them I'd raid the ACC hard. FSU, Clemson, NC St, VaTech, and Maryland would be my targets, take 3 or all 5 and be done with it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Presumably ND has three scenarios and 3 different dance cards are being discussed:

ACC: UConn
BiG: Rutgers
B12: Louisville

In which Conference does ND have the best chance of winning in football? Of capturing the Boston to DC market? Of 'hosting' home teams like UConn and SU and Army at Yankee Stadium?

The B12 is a lousy fit. Lousy Catholic demographics, poor chance of football BCS success

BiG: Great regional fit. Guaranteed mediocrity in football.

Reaction Score
I don't know why the SEC wants Missouri, if I were them I'd raid the ACC hard. FSU, Clemson, NC St, VaTech, and Maryland would be my targets, take 3 or all 5 and be done with it.

If they wanted to be the conference of the South, completely, stretching from Texas, through Arkansas and Tennessee, up to Kentucky and Viriginia, with a school in every state south of that, and two best in Florida would do it.

That won't likely happen. But it would be a brilliant move, and I could see them thinking of FSU, Clemson, or NC State (I'm sure VT could cross their mind, but I doubt the state would let them go).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom