Chicago Trib Calls Out Rutgers | The Boneyard

Chicago Trib Calls Out Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have to be a Trib insider to read and I am not going to cut and paste but will paraphrase a bit.

David Haugh wrote a very good article yesterday about Emmert and paying athletes. But it turns quickly to UConn and Napier's statements after the game Monday night - about being hungry. Then it goes on to call Rutgers an embarrassment and if you were a president of a Big Ten university about to welcome Rutgers later this year, you would want to hear again why Connecticut wasn't a better choice to deliver the New York market to the conference.

This is great momentum right in the ear of Delany.

Probably not possible for Delany to switch this late in the game but would like to believe it's on his mind.

Reaction Score
While Rutgers clearly has a lot of problems, they still have the TV sets, AAU status, and are contiguous with the B1G’s footprint. UConn has the clearly better sports program and brand; but, UConn is not AAU and there is a 80 mile gap between CT and PA (Danbury CT along I-84 to PA) and needs to fix its football program. Thus, I do not think UConn gets into the B1G without Rutgers.

Reaction Score
That article was kinda all over the place. It basically called out anyone who made a statement the past week about college athletics.

Reaction Score
David Haugh. Again, you have to be a member to the Trib sports columns but here is the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-haugh-ncaa-spt-0409-20140409,0,2160.column

Here it is:

If they're not writing headlines that are getting our attention, they're not selling ads — and they die. And the (Newark Star-) Ledger almost died in June, right? … That would be great. I'm going to do all I can to not give them a headline to keep them alive." — Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann to a university journalism class
Comment: Say hello to the Big Ten's future embarrassment. Flippantly saying the death of her state's largest newspaper that proudly covers Rutgers "would be great,'' continued an 11-month pattern of stunningly poor judgment for an AD who once warned a female assistant coach at Tennessee not to get pregnant. Hermann declined the Tribune's request for an interview.
If I were Rutgers President Robert Barchi, I strongly would consider giving the newspaper whose demise Hermann desires a job search to cover. If I were the president of a Big Ten university about to welcome Rutgers later this year, I would want to hear again why Connecticut wasn't a better choice to deliver the New York market to the conference.

Very good question - but we need AAU.

Reaction Score
While Rutgers clearly has a lot of problems, they still have the TV sets, AAU status, and are contiguous with the B1G’s footprint. UConn has the clearly better sports program and brand; but, UConn is not AAU and there is a 80 mile gap between CT and PA (Danbury CT along I-84 to PA) and needs to fix its football program. Thus, I do not think UConn gets into the B1G without Rutgers.
Hey, the Western Reserve in Ohio used to be part of Connecticut. NJ's first Anglo colonial settlements were people from the Connecticut colony. If the ACC doesn't want us, we'll fit in perfectly with the B1G!

Reaction Score
Rutgers has TV sets, but will it penetrate? Does NY/NJ/CT care about a mediocre football team playing IU on Saturday at noon? Or a basketball program where the players and and family members outnumber the fans?

Reaction Score
Someone needs to explain the necessity of the AAU to me. The Big in the past has offered membership to Notre Dame, which is not AAU. It has Nebraska as a member and Nebraska isn't AAU either. I suspect that, like the contiguous thing, is more a desire than an actual requirement. Indeed, I think I've heard Delany mention that neither are actually requirements.

Reaction Score
You have to be a Trib insider to read and I am not going to cut and paste but will paraphrase a bit.

David Haugh wrote a very good article yesterday about Emmert and paying athletes. But it turns quickly to UConn and Napier's statements after the game Monday night - about being hungry. Then it goes on to call Rutgers an embarrassment and if you were a president of a Big Ten university about to welcome Rutgers later this year, you would want to hear again why Connecticut wasn't a better choice to deliver the New York market to the conference.

This is great momentum right in the ear of Delany.

Probably not possible for Delany to switch this late in the game but would like to believe it's on his mind.

No need to switch, but merely add. I know I've had my criticisms about Rutgers, but it's a fine academic situation & many of the more successful schools in the northeast and mid-Atlantic really need Jersey hs football and basketball. Let's give them a fair opportunity, but I'm thinking Hermann needs to go very soon.

The BIG would be fine with 15 until the right 16 comes along. BIG can figure out how to crown a conference champion on its own terms, esp to get the right rep to the playoffs. The right 15, as far as I can see, has always been UConn.

I don't think ND is the right 16 & stopped having any desire to see them in the BIG since the late 90s, but it would be vastly entertaining to repeatedly see their Women's Basketball team lose 90% of the time against the Lady Huskies. Their football team, quite honestly, would rarely finish on top of the conference.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering about 15. 11 worked for a long time.

13 seemed to require a 14, but 15 seems more plausible when looking at the landscape and wondering where 16 would come from.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to explain the necessity of the AAU to me. The Big in the past has offered membership to Notre Dame, which is not AAU. It has Nebraska as a member and Nebraska isn't AAU either. I suspect that, like the contiguous thing, is more a desire than an actual requirement. Indeed, I think I've heard Delany mention that neither are actually requirements.

Agreed. I have read that AAU has never been a requirement but more of a direction the Big Ten wants their Universities to be in-line with.
I would like for someone, who is much more in tune with the CR idiosyncrasies and peculiarity, to explain what has changed hands (contracts, money, etc.) so far between Rutgers and the Big Ten that would preclude an improbable switch in UConn's favor. Yes, I understand that we almost certainly need Rutgers, and vice-versa, in the long run for the Big Ten to capture NYC. But is it possible to switch positions now with Rutgers and let them sweat this awhile and earn an invite? Or, is this just completely unworkable?

The reasoning behind a switch is due to the many Big Ten presidents that have openly preferred less teams rather than more. Albeit, for rivalries.

pj

Reaction Score
The BIG would be fine with 15 until the right 16 comes along. BIG can figure out how to crown a conference champion on its own terms, esp to get the right rep to the playoffs. The right 15, as far as I can see, has always been UConn.

I don't think ND is the right 16 & stopped having any desire to see them in the BIG since the late 90s, but it would be vastly entertaining to repeatedly see their Women's Basketball team lose 90% of the time against the Lady Huskies. Their football team, quite honestly, would rarely finish on top of the conference.

Speaking of schadenfreude, if UConn comes into the B1G, I'd like to see the bickering and regrets in the ACC after we win our first football national championship and Syracuse and BC have imploded with the retirement of top Boeheim, football failure, and lack of rivalries to excite fan interest.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I have read that AAU has never been a requirement but more of a direction the Big Ten wants their Universities to be in-line with.
I would like for someone, who is much more in tune with the CR idiosyncrasies and peculiarity, to explain what has changed hands (contracts, money, etc.) so far between Rutgers and the Big Ten that would preclude an improbable switch in UConn's favor. Yes, I understand that we almost certainly need Rutgers, and vice-versa, in the long run for the Big Ten to capture NYC. But is it possible to switch positions now with Rutgers and let them sweat this awhile and earn an invite? Or, is this just completely unworkable?

The reasoning behind a switch is due to the many Big Ten presidents that have openly preferred less teams rather than more. Albeit, for rivalries.

BIG presidents need to think, foremost, about quality education, which will not be influenced by a UConn addition, but in fact improved by yet another flagship university in the crucial northeast. The rivalries will establish and attendance will still be the best, overall, amongst power conferences. Certain road trips will always be undoable for some, but the home crowds almost always show up.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

There's only a 12 mile gap between NJ and CT though... just take both. :)

Reaction Score
. But is it possible to switch positions now with Rutgers and let them sweat this awhile and earn an invite?

Rutgers is in.

My take on the AAU thing is that Delany periodically receives directives from the executive committee of Presidents and Chancellors... rules of engagement; marching orders.

Among other things, they didn't want to repeat another Mizzou debacle with FSU or whomever and so the "contiguous" requirement was thrown in. And after Nebraska, I believe his orders included a rather strict AAU requirement.

So, where are we now? Good question. Unfortunately for expansionistas, the only president that liked to talk about the subject is now at WVU. My bet is that UConn is now a candidate with Rutgers in place and the forward momentum that UConn seems to have. But if the executive committee is happy at 14, we'll be 14 for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look guys, RU is in. Regardless if we think they are worthy or not, they are already there. They can only help us get into the B1G because NJ and CT are essentially connected states. They will be our rival for FB if we get into the B1G. So, we just need to focus getting our school the AAU status. Hopefully, things will move soon and we can be on our way.

Reaction Score
I believe that UConn is close enough (and has clear plans to even get closer) to AAU status, that it should not be a major issue. Diaco also has a good vide around the football team. Of course, this needs to be with wins while the football stadium size issue can be addressed later. Thus, I really think UConn’s major hurdle to getting into the B1G is getting a partner. I doubt that the B1G will go to an odd number for anyone outside of Austin.

That said, UConn can help itself. Continue building this momentum, do the right things and try to get on the radar of the ACC, too. If the B1G and/or the ACC do have an interest in UConn, make it a seller’s market. Make each conference nervous that the other wants UConn and this threatens their NYC market goals. Make one or both jump earlier than they want.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Look guys, RU is in. Regardless if we think they are worthy or not, they are already there. They can only help us get into the B1G because NJ and CT are essentially connected states. They will be our rival for FB if we get into the B1G. So, we just need to focus getting our school the AAU status. Hopefully, things will move soon and we can be on our way.

Agree. Rutgers is in and there is no use arguing who is the more attractive candidate: RU or UCONN. I think Rutgers' addition will actually help UCONN's case for a B1G invite (lock up NYC). What is of better use of the average UCONN fan's time is to go to the Spring football game, buy some football tickets, make donations, buy UCONN gear, plan a road trip to see a game, etc. We have no control over how/when UCONN will achieve AAU status. We also have no control over how/when UCONN will ever be invited to a P5 conference (although it's getting more and more ridiculous with each day that we're not in and some of our local rivals are). What we do have control over is changing the perception that UCONN football will always lose and that it will always get zero fan support. Every football program goes through a Paul Pasqualoni era. Louisville had a Steve Kragthorpe era right before their Charlie Strong era. Now is our time to show that we're all putting the PP era in the rearview and support Bob Diaco and the university. It's not about men's basketball vs. women's basketball vs. football vs. soccer, etc...it's about UCONN and supporting the entire book of athletics. And that continues this weekend at the championship parades/celebrations and Spring Game.

GO UCONN!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
freescooter said:

AAU salves the needs of university academics who run the show at these B1G schools that sports isn't the end all be all.

Also, to those who think gaining AAU membership is like getting your sixth sub free, have your card punched five times and your in. It isn't. UConn already has AAU monitored metrics equal to or better than many AAU members. What it doesn't have is an invitation to join this invitation only lobbying organization.

What Susan is working on is specific metrics (research expedenitures and endowments) to be more in line with those of recently invited non-D1 sports playing members. This is a good thing for the university but has little to do with a B1G invite. If they want us, AAU isn't a reason to hold off.

Reaction Score
Indulging all this fantasy for a while - for me - the slam dunk for the Big 10 would be Virginia and Connecticut. 16 programs - 2 divisions.

Pennsylvania State University
University of Connecticut
University of New Jersey
University of Maryland
University of Virginia
Ohio State University
University of Indiana
Purdue.

University of Michigan
Michigan State University
University of Illinois
University of Wisconsin
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa
University of Nebraska
Northwestern

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
I believe that UConn is close enough (and has clear plans to even get closer) to AAU status, that it should not be a major issue. Diaco also has a good vide around the football team, that needs to be followed-up with wins and the football stadium size issue can be addressed then. Thus, I really think UConn’s major hurdle to getting into the B1G is getting a partner. I doubt that the B1G will go to an odd number for anyone outside of Austin.

That said, UConn can help itself. Continue building this momentum, do the right things and try to get on the radar of the ACC, too. If the B1G and/or the ACC do have an interest in UConn, make it a seller’s market. Make each conference nervous that the other wants UConn and this threatens their NYC market goals. Make one or both jump earlier than they want.

I like Diaco as everyone does, but can we see if he sticks around after winning some games before penciling him in for his retirement party.

I don't see him as a guy staying long term if he wins to the degree we all expect, unless we CR finally smiles on us.

Reaction Score
Agree. Rutgers is in and there is no use arguing who is the more attractive candidate: RU or UCONN. I think Rutgers' addition will actually help UCONN's case for a B1G invite (lock up NYC). What is of better use of the average UCONN fan's time is to go to the Spring football game, buy some football tickets, make donations, buy UCONN gear, plan a road trip to see a game, etc. We have no control over how/when UCONN will achieve AAU status. We also have no control over how/when UCONN will ever be invited to a P5 conference (although it's getting more and more ridiculous with each day that we're not in and some of our local rivals are). What we do have control over is changing the perception that UCONN football will always lose and that it will always get zero fan support. Every football program goes through a Paul Pasqualoni era. Louisville had a Steve Kragthorpe era right before their Charlie Strong era. Now is our time to show that we're all putting the PP era in the rearview and support Bob Diaco and the university. It's not about men's basketball vs. women's basketball vs. football vs. soccer, etc...it's about UCONN and supporting the entire book of athletics. And that continues this weekend at the championship parades/celebrations and Spring Game.

GO UCONN!

But Scott Haney is telling us to stay off the roads, so I can't go to any games. Seriously, you nailed it. Rutgers is in. The fanbase has to step up

Reaction Score
Michigan would want to be East (and with OSU) - so I'd flip Michigan and w/ either Indiana/Purdue, but the rest looks doable.

The only combination that I think wouldn't work for 15&16 would be UConn & Kansas - at least one of the adds would need to be market size / FB driven.

Indulging all this fantasy for a while - for me - the slam dunk for the Big 10 would be Virginia and Connecticut. 16 programs - 2 divisions.

Pennsylvania State University
University of Connecticut
University of New Jersey
University of Maryland
University of Virginia
Ohio State University
University of Indiana
Purdue.

University of Michigan
Michigan State University
University of Illinois
University of Wisconsin
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa
University of Nebraska
Northwestern

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I like Diaco as everyone does, but can we see if he sticks around after winning some games before penciling him in for his retirement party.

I don't see him as a guy staying long term if he wins to the degree we all expect, unless we CR finally smiles on us.

At this point, I don't care if he's a long or short term guy. I obviously would prefer he stuck around for a few years but if he's a short term guy, that would have meant that the program has won some games and people have taken notice. Considering that the only athletic metric that is keeping UCONN from joining the B1G or ACC is football, I want the program to turn around as quick as possible. It's not fair to Diaco and our players, I realize. Most new coaches get 3 years minimum (ex - Pasqualoni) so that they can win with "their guys". But we're not most schools or situations: we're a school trying desperately to get into a P5 conference. For that to happen, we need to win football games (and fast!) even if it means our head coach leaves. But I obviously hope that we can have our cake and eat it too!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
RU is in and until they and Maryland are integrated, nothing more is going to happen. The B1G is nothing if not a methodical organization. So root for a smooth transition, keep winning and building metrics whether they be AAU qualifications or ticket prices in for UConn MSG games.

We're on the island for the time being and the professor isn't building us a coconut powered way off for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom