Chicago Sky @ New York Liberty - 7/15/18 | The Boneyard

Chicago Sky @ New York Liberty - 7/15/18

Reaction Score
Liberty up by 6 at half time. Dolson with a horrible blunder right before the end of the half.

Reaction Score
4BE98C37-562D-458A-B207-ED96990053C3.jpeg Well....Chicago is a wing ‍♀️

Reaction Score
I can't decide if Chicago just doesn't have the lineup to compete or if their coach is terrible. On paper, Chicago doesn't have much of a lineup to me--no true center, no true power forward, and an odd mix match of guards that don't compliment each other well.

Reaction Score
I can't decide if Chicago just doesn't have the lineup to compete or if their coach is terrible. On paper, Chicago doesn't have much of a lineup to me--no true center, no true power forward, and an odd mix match of guards that don't compliment each other well.

I’m thinking both.

Kia Nurse isn’t getting much playing time. What happened? She was lighting it up at one time

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What’s going on with Dolson? She looks awful out there today, especially playing defense and running down court....getting destroyed by the pick and roll and doesn’t seem in sync with her teammates defensively. Players will fight through screens and don’t switch, Dolson switches, player rolls for a wide open layup inside.

The only player in Chicago’s starting 5 who has good quickness is Deshields, and she has a ways to go to be a top 5 defender. They really need athleticism because while they have good offensive players, they’re by far the worst defensive team in the league.

Good win for NY today.

Reaction Score
What’s going on with Dolson? She looks awful out there today, especially playing defense and running down court....getting destroyed by the pick and roll and doesn’t seem in sync with her teammates defensively. Players will fight through screens and don’t switch, Dolson switches, player rolls for a wide open layup inside.

The only player in Chicago’s starting 5 who has good quickness is Deshields, and she has a ways to go to be a top 5 defender. They really need athleticism because while they have good offensive players, they’re by far the worst defensive team in the league.

Good win for NY today.

I agree, as much as Dolson is touted as a "smart" player, she's looked terrible on defense lately--slow and prone to fouling. Offensively, she runs around and sets screens, mainly looking to pass. I think for the Sky to have more offensive consistency, she should try and play true center on the block. Clearly, though, she's scared to this, and it seems like her lack of post up game causes her and the Sky major problems.
Quigley and Vandersloot are asked to do way too much for the Sky. They're solid guards, but I think it's a big mistake to rely on them for the majority of the team's offense--they aren't consistent enough, at least not this season, and they can't really get to the rim like an elite guard--Deshields, who has her own finishing problems.
Saying all that to say that the Sky rely way too much on jump shots to score. The poorest teams in the league--Atlanta, Indiana, Chicago, New York, even the Sparks when they struggle--all rely heavily on jump shooting.
Of course, all of that is secondary to their major defensive woes. What separates the Sky from the Sparks--who actually have similar offensive problems if you analyze it--is defense, and the Sky don't have the speed or size to be a good defensive team, unlike Phoenix, Sparks, Seattle.

Reaction Score
I saw DeShields blow a game all by herself in the last seconds at Seattle by playing hero ball. They had the game won if she passes on a 2 on 1 but instead she takes it in with one of those one handed specials for the highlight and Howard blocks it off Diamond and out of bounds. Seattle ball. Seattle win. Chicago played hard all game for that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw DeShields blow a game all by herself in the last seconds at Seattle by playing hero ball. They had the game won if she passes it instead she takes it in with one hand by herself for the highlight and Howard blocks it off Diamond and out of bounds. Seattle ball. Seattle win. Chicago played hard all game for that?

DeShields is really the only player (besides Gabby Williams if she wants to) on the Sky's team that can actually get to the basket. I didn't see that game, but if I were the Sky, I would continue to play DeShields heavily--she's quick enough to be good defensively, and she can score in pretty much every way. Diamond's problems are mental.

Reaction Score
I still don't get why Katie Smith doesn't play Kia Vaughn more. Kia Nurse's minutes are reduced from the beginning of the year due to Prince, Vaughn, and Rogers getting healthy or returning from overseas.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree, as much as Dolson is touted as a "smart" player, she's looked terrible on defense lately--slow and prone to fouling. Offensively, she runs around and sets screens, mainly looking to pass. I think for the Sky to have more offensive consistency, she should try and play true center on the block. Clearly, though, she's scared to this, and it seems like her lack of post up game causes her and the Sky major problems.
Quigley and Vandersloot are asked to do way too much for the Sky. They're solid guards, but I think it's a big mistake to rely on them for the majority of the team's offense--they aren't consistent enough, at least not this season, and they can't really get to the rim like an elite guard--Deshields, who has her own finishing problems.
Saying all that to say that the Sky rely way too much on jump shots to score. The poorest teams in the league--Atlanta, Indiana, Chicago, New York, even the Sparks when they struggle--all rely heavily on jump shooting.
Of course, all of that is secondary to their major defensive woes. What separates the Sky from the Sparks--who actually have similar offensive problems if you analyze it--is defense, and the Sky don't have the speed or size to be a good defensive team, unlike Phoenix, Sparks, Seattle.

Dolson shouldn’t be chasing players around more than 5-10 feet from the basket. She’s not quick enough to guard players out there, and regularly gets beat off the dribble. Problem is Gabby Williams is too small to guard opposing 4s, and Parker isn’t quick either. Tina Charles is a tough matchup for anyone, but Chicago doesn’t have anyone who is tall and quick which is a death sentence against good bigs like Tina who can hit from range and put the ball on the floor.

In the offseason Dolson needs to work on getting in better shape (she looked much leaner a few years ago) and might do best switching to a different team. She will be best paired with an athletic post player rather than a slower Big. She didn’t look like she was enjoying herself out there today, barking at teammates a couple of times, making some careless mistakes and arguing with the refs.

Their guards are also huge defensive liabilities against quicker players. Very good offensively, but they need more speed in the backcourt. The team as a whole just needs more athleticism. The development of G. Williams will be important going forward. She looked more assertive today taking a couple of perimeter shots...they didn’t go in but she looked confident putting the shot up.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Chicago and New York have played 4 times now. First game - Chicago win. 2nd game - narrow Chicago win. 3rd game - narrow New York win. 4th game - comfortable New York win.

That trend is concerning. The Sky seem to be regressing as the season goes on. Doesn't speak well to Amber Stocks' job performance.

On the other hand, this roster is not built to compete this year. So it's a little of both. Subpar coach and subpar roster.

Reaction Score
I noticed today Alaina (sp) Coates got more minutes then I can remember. I don't know what she offers to the Sky. Today, she definitely was not part of the offense.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I noticed today Alaina (sp) Coates got more minutes then I can remember. I don't know what she offers to the Sky. Today, she definitely was not part of the offense.

With Parker in the starting lineup and Ndour out injured, she has to play backup center out of necessity.

Reaction Score

Good win for NY today.
What is wrong with Dolson,? Last year was her best as a pro. I expectef her to be even better this year.

Reaction Score
Dolson is a true center. I agree no power forward .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom