Chicago Sky fire Amber Stocks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chicago Sky fire Amber Stocks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, though, the team that really needs a change right now is Phoenix. They've simply maxed out at the semi-final level with Sandy Brondello, and they have too much talent not to be winning championships.
I think it was game 3, they had a camera in the huddle. Brondello is going over the play, badly, and Taurasi is quick nodding her and you see the look on her face was, yeah I'm just doing whatever I want.

She did and scored.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it was game 3, they had a camera in the huddle. Brondello is going over the play, badly, and Taurasi is quick nodding her and you see the look on her face was, yeah I'm just doing whatever I want.
She did and scored.

Reminds me of a K. C. Jones story about Larry Bird. Celtics called timeout with like 2 secs. on the clock. Need a basket to win. K. C. started to diagram a play when Bird said: "Coach why don't you just get the ball to me and tell everyone else to get out of way." K. C. did, they did, and Bird did. Swish, win!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Who the heck is Amber Stocks?
I swear some of these WNBA franchises pull their coaches from the witness protection program.

"Numerous coaches in the league are making in the range of $250,000 -- some as much as $300,000." according to some article. How many WCB coaches want to take a pay cut to coach in the WNBA? What is the up side to coaching in the WNBA? Get fired in 2-3 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Numerous coaches in the league are making in the range of $250,000 -- some as much as $300,000." according to some article. How many WCB coaches want to take a pay cut to coach in the WNBA? What is the up side to coaching in the WNBA? Get fired in 2-3 years.
Some of the coaches are good, but the pay is well below that of the top WCBB coaches. And the refs may get paid less too, because they are worse.

Reaction Score
Katie Smith is still head coach of the New York Liberty? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, though, the team that really needs a change right now is Phoenix. They've simply maxed out at the semi-final level with Sandy Brondello, and they have too much talent not to be winning championships.

The issues are the same year after year, and there's no real progress being made. Take team depth, as just one example, a longstanding problem that Brondello even alluded to during last night's post-game presser. Yet this is the coach who had up-and-coming phenom Courtney Williams as a rookie, glued her behind to the bench for half a season, and then traded her away to Connecticut for exactly nothing. I could go on and on about the multitude of problem areas, and have done so on many occasions here on this board.

I don't expect Brondello to be let go, she's too popular with DT and the rest of the players. Of course therein lies much of the problem, because she's not really in a position to demand accountability.

I see her situation as having many parallels to John Farrell, manager of the Boston Red Sox up until the end of last season. Both had a championship early in their tenure, and a reasonable degree of success thereafter. But both also had clearly identifiable limitations, blind spots even, that caused their respective teams top out and get stuck.

Change in situations like these is never easy. It's far from a no-brainer like with Amber Stocks. It takes a lot of courage to pull the trigger. But as we see with the Red Sox, and the Seattle Storm for that matter, the rewards can be immediate and very much worth it. It would be good for Mercury ownership to try to get some buy in from their big-three and make something happen here.

I think the criticism of Brondello is a little harsh here. She took this injury depleted team to the brink on the WNBA finals....where I think they would've won against Washington. The Mercury were clearly one of the two best teams in the W before Sancho Lyttle got hurt. Then, during the playoffs she lost a bench player turned starter(Stephanie Talbot) and still took Seattle down to the wire in 5 games.

If not Brondello, who replaces her?

Reaction Score

I didn't say they should be able to get folks like Geno, but here's Stocks resume:
  • NO head coaching experience
  • TWO years as an assistant in the WNBA
  • 8 years as a college assistant, ALL BEFORE 2010
  • NO experience playing as a pro
  • Unremarkable college playing career
I have a hard time believing she was the most qualified person they could get.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I didn't say they should be able to get folks like Geno, but here's Stocks resume:
  • NO head coaching experience
  • TWO years as an assistant in the WNBA
  • 8 years as a college assistant, ALL BEFORE 2010
  • NO experience playing as a pro
  • Unremarkable college playing career
I have a hard time believing she was the most qualified person they could get.

Vickie Johnson and Katie Smith had similarly relatively unimpressive coaching resumes prior to becoming a head coach of a WNBA team. They both played in the league, but that doesn't necessarily equate to coaching ability at all (I'd actually say most of the best coaches didn't play as professionals, or were deep reserves if they did). It seems like some of these franchises aren't trying very hard. Are they going after the candidate that will demand the lowest salary?

Reaction Score
Vickie Johnson and Katie Smith had similarly relatively unimpressive coaching resumes prior to becoming a head coach of a WNBA team. They both played in the league, but that doesn't necessarily equate to coaching ability at all

C'mon, I didn't say playing meant you'd be a great HC, but shouldn't one have some experience in I don't know, ANYTHING? Stocks wasnt a head coach, she wasn't a player, she was barely even an assistant. If that's the criteria, why not just pull a fan out of the stands?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reminds me of a K. C. Jones story about Larry Bird. Celtics called timeout with like 2 secs. on the clock. Need a basket to win. K. C. started to diagram a play when Bird said: "Coach why don't you just get the ball to me and tell everyone else to get out of way." K. C. did, they did, and Bird did. Swish, win!
I can't remember the opposing player but during a playoff game for the final play with the Celts down by a bucket Bird says to him "you don't have to worry about a thing. I'll tell you the play." He went on to describe the play in detail which ended with Bird taking a three. Bird told him "and there's nothing that you can do about it." Now the player guarding him is thinking "he can't be telling me the truth" but sure enough the play went off just as Bird described and ended with his three... and there was nothing the player guarding him could do about it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
C'mon, I didn't say playing meant you'd be a great HC, but shouldn't one have some experience in I don't know, ANYTHING? Stocks wasnt a head coach, she wasn't a player, she was barely even an assistant. If that's the criteria, why not just pull a fan out of the stands?

How much playing experience combined for the 2 head coaches of the teams in the Finals? Or Cheryl Reeve who has won 50% of the last 8 Titles?

I was merely pointing out that Johnson and Smith also had never been head coaches, and not that much experience as an assistant (5 and 3 years respectively I think). The player or non-player part seems insignificant to me.

Reaction Score
How much playing experience combined for the 2 head coaches of the teams in the Finals? Or Cheryl Reeve who has won 50% of the last 8 Titles?

I was merely pointing out that Johnson and Smith also had never been head coaches, and not that much experience as an assistant (5 and 3 years respectively I think). The player or non-player part seems insignificant to me.

Nice strawman arguments.
Bye Felicia.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What the heck? I'm not trying to be argumentative, my point is very clear that Vickie Johnson and Katie Smith both lacked coaching experience prior to becoming WNBA head coaches. I don't see what your issue is. I have no idea what the Felicia reference is about.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I can't remember the opposing player but during a playoff game for the final play with the Celts down by a bucket Bird says to him "you don't have to worry about a thing. I'll tell you the play." He went on to describe the play in detail which ended with Bird taking a three. Bird told him "and there's nothing that you can do about it." Now the player guarding him is thinking "he can't be telling me the truth" but sure enough the play went off just as Bird described and ended with his three... and there was nothing the player guarding him could do about it.

You should enjoy the video below of Byron Scott relating a similar Larry Bird story and then Dan Patrick doing the same.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Your story and my remembering the Byron Scott video has some how allowed me to remember the video concerning the K. C. Jones' Bird story and perhaps actual incident you mentioned.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that. Brondello is Taurasi's and Griner's assistant coach in Russia (and wife of the head coach) during their real basketball season. Trying to break them up during the WNBA season might end up with more "breaking up" than the ownership bargained for.

Tauari is no longer a player on the Russia team, she was replaced with Maya Moore.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Tauari is no longer a player on the Russia team, she was replaced with Maya Moore.

Maya’s not playing overseas this year.

UMMC Ekaterinburg, the Russian team in question that Diana T. played with for years, has been redoing it's roster over the last few weeks and have been posting these signings, which include both Kayla McBride (who led the league in scoring last season) and Courtney Vandersloot from Yakin Dogu, as well as Jonquel Jones from the Connecticut Sun and Angel McCoughtry, who was unfortunately just injured.

Here are a few links on two of those signings:

EUROBASKET NEWS

EUROBASKET NEWS

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What the heck? I'm not trying to be argumentative, my point is very clear that Vickie Johnson and Katie Smith both lacked coaching experience prior to becoming WNBA head coaches. I don't see what your issue is. I have no idea what the Felicia reference is about.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thanks DaddyChoc. I ended up looking it up last night. Never saw the movie it came from, but apparently the phrase has taken on a life of its own on twitter or as a meme or hashtag or whatever.

Reaction Score
UMMC Ekaterinburg, the Russian team in question that Diana T. played with for years, has been redoing it's roster over the last few weeks and have been posting these signings, which include both Kayla McBride (who led the league in scoring last season) and Courtney Vandersloot from Yakin Dogu, as well as Jonquel Jones from the Connecticut Sun and Angel McCoughtry, who was unfortunately just injured.

Here are a few links on two of those signings:

EUROBASKET NEWS

EUROBASKET NEWS
I have been looking for the updated WNBA Players Overseas 2018-19 but cannot one. Have you seen one or have another web site that might have this info?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I have been looking for the updated WNBA Players Overseas 2018-19 but cannot one. Have you seen one or have another web site that might have this info?

Hmmm. I seem to recall the WNBA putting a list out last year, which is how I found out Natalie Achonwa was in Korea. I have not seen one yet.

In the meantime, I go to the Eurobasket site and poke around...they're a pretty good repository of releases.

European Basketball Main Page - eurobasket

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the criticism of Sandy Brondello is wrong - I'm also not sure that it is merited either. Will be interesting to see how she does with Team Australia.

Someone implied in the thread that she is also the GM. She isn't. I don't know how much say she has on that side of the coin.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
What, you can't say fired now days!!! This world is becoming too PC. When you are told to leave because you didn't perform to expectations then you are FIRED.
Press releases from teams or companies or schools have always used this language. She was fired, but the spokesperson says 'relieved of duty'. Nothing new or PC about it. Sic semper erat, et sic semper erit! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom