Chicago Sky @ Dallas Wings - 7/31/18 | The Boneyard

Chicago Sky @ Dallas Wings - 7/31/18

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I look for Liz to have a strong finish to the season. She and Skylar will be a tough duo. For Chicago, I love watching Sloot and Quigley. Plus, Stef and Gabulous, of course.

I want to see a game of H-O-R-S-E with Allie Quigley, Diana Taurasi, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Christyn Williams, and Azzi Fudd.

Reaction Score
cambage53.jpg

Cambage memorial plaque for WNBA record high score in a game

Reaction Score
28-15 CHI end of first

GWill 8 pts, 4 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl
Quigley 8 pts, 1 reb, 1 stl, 1 blk

Cambage 9 pts, 4 reb, 1 blk

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sky has 3 points and a cut on her chin.

Chicago leads by 20 at halftime. They are shooting 6-7 from the arc and 62% overall. Dallas is shooting 31%.

Reaction Score
This has turned into one of the better games of the year. Crowd is going nuts.
72-72 end of third

Reaction Score
Attendance 3,600. What a difference in atmosphere. Crowd in Atl was 3,600 too and looked like nobody came. Must of been a lot of no shows cause there weren’t even 2,000 at Atl game. This game (Wings) looked like 3,600 fans showed up

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sky wins 92-91. 14 assists for Sloot. She's just killing it lately. Not an All Star though, because voters are dumb. She hasn't been selected since her rookie year, which was her worst season. Totally makes sense. :eek:

edited--6-9 from the floor too, at least 4 straight double doubles for her

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I missed this but just watched the last couple of minutes. Dallas totally blew it. Up 4 with a little over a minute left, here is the sequence of possessions:

Completely lose Cheyenne Parker for an easy layup. (Wings by 2)
Skylar misses a tough layup attempt; Sloot finds Diamond in transition for a layup (tied).
Cambage misses a bunny but draws a foul; makes 1 of 2 (Wings by 1)
Diamond misses a tough layup attempt; Cheyenne Parker gets an easy putback (Sky by 1)
Skylar's entry pass to Cambage floats out of bounds. Sky win.

Terrible home loss for a team fighting for playoff seeding.

Dolson had just 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists in 24 minutes, but wnba.com has her as a +14 tonight.

Sloot with another 14 assists as her team shoots 52%

Reaction Score
I missed this but just watched the last couple of minutes. Dallas totally blew it. Up 4 with a little over a minute left, here is the sequence of possessions:

Skylar misses a tough layup attempt; Sloot finds Diamond in transition for a layup (tied).
Diamond misses a tough layup attempt; Cheyenne Parker gets an easy putback (Sky by 1)

Dolson had just 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists in 24 minutes, but wnba.com has her as a +14 tonight.

Skylar didn’t just miss the layup she almost threw it over the backboard. Then she overshoots Liz on the lob pass. Game over. Btw, how did Diamond miss her last shot? I didn’t think that was a tough layup. Skylar let her go all the way. Parker cleaned it up. Skylar had 3 bad plays in the last 3 possessions.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Skylar didn’t just miss the layup she almost threw it over the backboard. Then she overshoots Liz on the lob pass. Game over. Btw, how did Diamond miss her last shot? I didn’t think that was a tough layup. Skylar let her go all the way. Parker cleaned it up. Skylar had 3 bad plays in the last 3 possessions.

Diamond's last shot was makeable but it didn't strike me as a gimme. Just watched it again and Skylar passes her off to Kayla Thornton and Thornton has a hand in her face as Diamond is going up.

but yes, Skylar had a nightmare last 75 seconds of that game.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Stef had a wrestling match with Cambage tonight and got hit in the face with an elbow. She'll need the ice tub.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Diamond's last shot was makable but it didn't strike me as a gimme. Yes, Skylar had a nightmare last 75 seconds of that game.

I watched the entire game. I concur with all of your observations. I know you're pulling for the Sky, I was pulling for the Wings. This was a very winnable game for the Wings after their miraculous comeback being down by 24. One more FG for the Wings wins it.

I don't think Cambage having to sit out the next game (picked up her 7th technical foul tonight - must sit out the next game) will hurt the Wings, since they play the 3 win Fever on the road in 2 days. That's a game they should be able to win without her. There were a lot of very questionable calls in this game. They also missed a few fouls they should have called.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Dallas lost their cool in the 4th when calls weren’t going their way. Extremely winnable game that they gave up after leading by 4 late.

Very good game by Cheyenne Parker—she did a great job on Cambage. Extremely physical with her and slowed her down big time in the 4th. Dolson had a high plus minus but struggled out there tonight and wasn’t effective on either end. I would’ve kept Gabby out there over Dolson—GW looked good. Coates did not look good out there.

Sloot was great but lost her cool in the third. Barked at Quigley for a TO and drew a T for overreacting to a no call (which in fairness, should have been called).

Really bad loss for Dallas though. They were the league’s hot team just a couple of weeks ago and now they’re at risk of not making the playoffs. Diggins needs to start shooting better if they’re going to make a deep run. Very unpredictable season indeed.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game. I concur with all of your observations. I know you're pulling for the Sky, I was pulling for the Wings. This was a very winnable game for the Wings after their miraculous comeback being down by 24. One more FG for the Wings wins it.

I don't think Cambage having to sit out the next game (picked up her 7th technical foul tonight - must sit out the next game) will hurt the Wings, since they play the 3 win Fever on the road in 2 days. That's a game they should be able to win without her. There were a lot of very questionable calls in this game. They also missed a few fouls they should have called.

I didn’t like the T on Cambage this game. A foul I’m fine with, but I thought she was clearly going for the ball and it didn’t look at all malicious or intentional, plus Dolson has a flare for dramatics which I think led refs to feel like they had to make a call. Glory Johnson twice popped other players in the face (Deshields and Sloot) but didn’t get called or reviewed for either.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sloot's 50 assists over a 4 game period eclipses Penicheiro's previous record of 46 over the same span. Sloot could break into the career top 10 for assists in the next 2 games at her current pace. Her current average of 8.5/game would easily set a new record and she's got a good shot at surpassing Penicheiro's single season high of 236.

Why aren't more people talking about her?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Sloot's 50 assists over a 4 game period eclipses Penicheiro's previous record of 46 over the same span. Sloot could break into the career top 10 for assists in the next 2 games at her current pace. Her current average of 8.5/game would easily set a new record and she's got a good shot at surpassing Penicheiro's single season high of 236.

Why aren't more people talking about her?

She is being talked about, just not as much as I’m guessing you’d like her to be. Her team is bad and they play at a faster pace so her assists are higher than they would be on almost any other team. She’s having a great year, but I don’t think she’s one of the top stories in the WNBA considering how 8 of the 12 teams are within just a few games of each other (Chicago not included), Cambage is dominating everyone, Wilson has been one of the best players in the league as a rookie, LA and Minny aren’t as good after dominating the league, and Stewart is having an MVP year. Not to mention terrific seasons by other players like Parker, Hayes, EDD, Bird, DT, Griner, etc. All of those players should be talked about over Sloot’s assists IMO.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Cool! A great game, plus Skylar and the Chong-cuttersTM (and Glory and Liz) chalk up a loss. I haven't seen it yet, but will watch this evening.

I assume Chong's replacement had a great game . . . Oops! she didn't play. Again.

Note I have nothing against Leticia Romero, just still pissed that the Wings cut Saniya only to replace her with someone who's not doing well and not even playing much. Having been flagged for language before, I can't fully express the depth of my anger toward and distaste for the Wings. Head bang

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
bballnut I don't think it's the story of the season but certainly if she breaks a single season record it's noteworthy

She should be in the top 5 in 2 more seasons w/ only Taurasi, Whalen, Penicheiro and Bird ahead of her at that point.

Reaction Score
Cool! A great game, plus Skylar and the Chong-cuttersTM (and Glory and Liz) chalk up a loss. I haven't seen it yet, but will watch this evening.

I assume Chong's replacement had a great game . . . Oops! she didn't play. Again.

Note I have nothing against Leticia Romero, just still pissed that the Wings cut Saniya only to replace her with someone who's not doing well and not even playing much. Having been flagged for language before, I can't fully express the depth of my anger toward and distaste for the Wings. Head bang
I wanted the Wings to keep GOODWIN over Chong but I like your passion

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wanted the Wings to keep GOODWIN over Chong but I like your passion

I would have been pissed if they kept Goodwin, but only for personal reasons, as that may have been justified. I was really impressed with Goodwin this year, but Romero seemed to me to have slipped since last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom