Chi. Trib.: McGraw expects rivalry to continue | The Boneyard

Chi. Trib.: McGraw expects rivalry to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Told her relationship with Auriemma is probably better than Auriemma's with legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, McGraw laughed.

"It is from my side," she said."

LINK

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Always look at the bright side. UConn's OOC SOS just got tougher.

mr006

Reaction Score
we may have found our MLK Day opponent for the future, if their teams can approach what they have been recently.

Reaction Score
It is yet to be seen whether UConn's OOC schedule will include a strong Notre Dame team. If memory serves, there have been a number of posts in various threads relegating the Fighting Irish back to relative mediocrity after Skylar Diggins retires.
Truth be told, I never expected them to contend as they did the season before last. After that season, the next season was quite expected. I have no idea what kind of team they are going to be this season. Without Peters in the middle, it seems possible to defend ND as a one person attack and avail your resources accordingly.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Of course, Kim Mulkey famously compared continuing the rivalry game with A&M like granting continued sexual access to someone you've divorced. Interesing to compare and contrast.

Although ND and UConn pursue the same recruits, neither school's recruiting efforts are as intensely regionally focused as A&M's or Baylor's. There is a general consensus among Texas schools that A&M is harming its former Big XII schools (across all sports) by giving SEC programs greater access to and exposure in Texas while not doing much to improve its own situation. So those are definitely differences.

However, with Baylor specifically, there was the added concern that, like with UConn, conference instability could lead to them ultimately not having a seat at the grownups' table when the music stops. So there could be some residual resentment on UConn's behalf vis a vis ND that is at least analogous to Baylor and A&M. That being said, in UConn's case, if the BE gets weaker, it's all the more critical that OOC scheduling gets stronger. Moreover, UConn is a national brand for WBB and Notre Dame is a national brand, period, so having the two teams play is really good for the sport, conference afiliation notwithstanding.

Once a year meetings would be ideal. This three/four times a year stuff is a little excessive, quite frankly.

Reaction Score
Geno thought ND was free loading on the BE re football, why would he give them an out of conference game? They decided where to go, we can find plenty of teams to play, what's so good about a trip to Indiana?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
He has a great relationship with Muffett, and I don't think he's the type to hold grudges, necessarily. He didn't cancel the UT game, and I know he had a problem with Portland at PSU, but now that they have a new coach, they are on the schedule.

Plus, I know he likes to play the best, and ND is one of the best programs in the country. I bet they still play every year if possible.

Reaction Score
Of course, Kim Mulkey famously compared continuing the rivalry game with A&M like granting continued sexual access to someone you've divorced. Interesing to compare and contrast.

Although ND and UConn pursue the same recruits, neither school's recruiting efforts are as intensely regionally focused as A&M's or Baylor's. There is a general consensus among Texas schools that A&M is harming its former Big XII schools (across all sports) by giving SEC programs greater access to and exposure in Texas while not doing much to improve its own situation. So those are definitely differences.

However, with Baylor specifically, there was the added concern that, like with UConn, conference instability could lead to them ultimately not having a seat at the grownups' table when the music stops. So there could be some residual resentment on UConn's behalf vis a vis ND that is at least analogous to Baylor and A&M. That being said, in UConn's case, if the BE gets weaker, it's all the more critical that OOC scheduling gets stronger. Moreover, UConn is a national brand for WBB and Notre Dame is a national brand, period, so having the two teams play is really good for the sport, conference afiliation notwithstanding.

Once a year meetings would be ideal. This three/four times a year stuff is a little excessive, quite frankly.

Maybe this is Coach McGraw publicly lobbying. Besides friendship, is Coach Auriemma beholden to Coach McGraw in any way?

Notre Dame's national brand is entirely the result of its storied football program. How much longer, though, can it last without being a true national power in the sport? All this fuss over Notre Dame football, for what? Didn't newly Division I UConn spank their hind parts a couple of years ago. I do not expect them to get better in the years to come. They have had a couple of good years in WCBB recently. They had an outstanding year back in 2001. Will UConn really miss the rivalry all that much? UConn was part of the best WCBB rivalry, yet, I dare say, no one is losing sleep here over the loss. The Big East may have gained with Notre Dame's departure. Did Notre Dame really add anything to the Big East resume? Did Notre Dame ever really have a Big East identity? Notre Dame's entry to the ACC is almost surely for their own benefit. What positives do they bring to the ACC that the ACC did not already possess? I cannot see what, if anything, they add to the ACC. Five ACC fotball games a year? What keeps them from choosing to play Duke and Maryland along with teams they always play anyway like BC, Pittsburgh, and Miami?
The only thing the Big East lost was a headache.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UT and ND have been UCONN's biggest rivals, haven't they? Do you want to lose another rival? It never helps to lose rivals that make the season interesting.

I truly hate that Baylor will not play TAMU anymore. I love to hate them. Mulkey and Blair go way back so it is sad to see that coaching link broken. But, luckily, we still have OU, TTU and Texas to hate.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe this is Coach McGraw publicly lobbying. Besides friendship, is Coach Auriemma beholden to Coach McGraw in any way?
Geno is intensely loyal to his friends and Muffet has been his good friend for over 30 years, part of the St. Joe's/Philly crew. There's no good reason for UConn to play Holy Cross or Hartford, but Geno will play them as long as his friends want the games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's national brand is entirely the result of its storied football program. How much longer, though, can it last without being a true national power in the sport? All this fuss over Notre Dame football, for what?

Money. Big money.

The only thing the Big East lost was a headache.
And quite possibly it's BCS standing, and even it's conference. They've survived the past couple of years of upheaval, but this is a big, big hit.

Remember it's all about football and money.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Big East is no longer the conference we have come to love. It is now a nice mid major conference at best. Time to move on as soon as any reasonable opportunity comes.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Geno thought ND was free loading on the BE re football, why would he give them an out of conference game? They decided where to go, we can find plenty of teams to play, what's so good about a trip to Indiana?
It makes my drive a LOT shorter :D

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The Big East is no longer the conference we have come to love. It is now a nice mid major conference at best. Time to move on as soon as any reasonable opportunity comes.

In what sport are you talking mid major?

Men's basketball? Louisville (4), Marquette (10), Gtwn (17), Cinncinati (18), Uconn (2010-11 NC) would disagree.

Women's basketball? Any conference with UConn is not a mid-major. Louisville, RU, Gtown, SJU all disagree as well.

Football? ND wasn't in the conference for football anyway, so them leaving makes no difference. Adding Boise st. a perenial top 25 team, RU, Louisville, South Florida are all solid programs.

No way is the BE a mid major.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Football, it drives the bus. And Louisville expects to be gone soon. Disagree with your assessment of St J and Georgetown WBB. It isn't ND, it is ND, WVU, VA Tech, Miami, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom