Chess Is A Sport ... Right? | The Boneyard

Chess Is A Sport ... Right?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, from this article I learn (and it is counterintuitive to me) that Chess Grand Masters tail off starting in their 40s. This made this guy's sudden rise in his late 50s look very dodgey and there was grumbling. Tournaments ... cell phones verboten 'cuz chess programs are accessible on cell phones. So this grey haired phenom got busted, captured on a break sitting on a john with his cell phone!

I guess he had it taped to his leg? Anyway, I think it is hilarious.

Chess grandmaster allegedly caught cheating on toilet during tournament

"he mobile phone was later found in the bathroom — and Rausis signed a declaration admitting it was his, the Telegraph reported.

“I simply lost my mind yesterday,” Rausis said when confronted with the photo, according to the outlet. “I confirmed the fact of using my phone during the game. What could I say more?”

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Chess, darts, bowling, golf, they are more like activities.

Reaction Score
I guess there's a way to cheat on anything, even Tiddlywinks?

Reaction Score
So, from this article I learn (and it is counterintuitive to me) that Chess Grand Masters tail off starting in their 40s. This made this guy's sudden rise in his late 50s look very dodgey and there was grumbling. Tournaments ... cell phones verboten 'cuz chess programs are accessible on cell phones. So this grey haired phenom got busted, captured on a break sitting on a john with his cell phone!

View attachment 44754

"he mobile phone was later found in the bathroom — and Rausis signed a declaration admitting it was his, the Telegraph reported.

“I simply lost my mind yesterday,” Rausis said when confronted with the photo, according to the outlet. “I confirmed the fact of using my phone during the game. What could I say more?”

View attachment 44754

A disingenuous reply by Rausis. He had been suspected of cheating for quite some time.
I still play on line in blitz (5 minutes each) tournaments.
On a side note: I'm continually amazed at how accurate the top players are in their play. Like virtually any endeavor, there's a huge gap between those that are simply good, and those at the very top.
If you're interested at all, go to YouTube and type in Carlsen or Nakamura (The 2 top players, imo, in one minute games) and "bullet chess". Truly amazing what the human mind is capable of.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agadmator's Chess Channel on You Tube breaks down games played - both old and new. Also shows games played by computers.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree with all of these except golf, which, because of Tiger and his fitness regime, converted this into a sport. However, I would also say that professional gambling is not a sport either.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

View attachment 44754

'So, from this article I learn (and it is counterintuitive to me) that Chess Grand Masters tail off starting in their 40s.' not to be argumentive, but not really. peak brain (as a matter of empirical analysis) occurs around mid 20s. maybe it plateaus for another 10 years or so, case dependent. so, by 40s, it's measurably receding, especially in recall capacity, a tool extremely useful when enjoying a game of chaturanga, known in its current version as chess. recall, because, in the big leagues of grandmasters, chess history is part and parcel of their training. gambits ('dare il gambettto' to put a leg forward in order to trip someone--1500s, spain), for example. so friend, while we may be getting 'older but better,' or 'older and wiser,' as a matter of science, by the time humans hit their 40s, our 'ram' capacity is in full retreat, tho still case dependent in pace. don't sneeze too hard. lol.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I know absolutely nothing about chess, but this story is morbidly fascinating to me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A disingenuous reply by Rausis. He had been suspected of cheating for quite some time.
I still play on line in blitz (5 minutes each) tournaments.
On a side note: I'm continually amazed at how accurate the top players are in their play. Like virtually any endeavor, there's a huge gap between those that are simply good, and those at the very top.
If you're interested at all, go to YouTube and type in Carlson or Nakamura (The 2 top players, imo, in one minute games) and "bullet chess". Truly amazing what the human mind is capable of.

I'm a chess idiot but I occasionally I watch videos of Carlsen playing blitz to just to gape in wonderment at what he can do

There's one where he's playing a high-level blitz tournament while drinking beers and listening to music and giving running commentary. And he's just crushing.

Reaction Score

Just not sure how you could put chess and darts in with golf? Golfers tend to walk about 5-7 miles for 18 and play 4 rounds on a weekend, sometimes in 90 degree weather. While it’s not basketball , hockey or football it does come close to baseball. I mean they swing a few times, sometimes baseball runs but it won’t be 7 Miles. Golfs a sport have to have hand eye coordination and be in decent shape to be a pro for the most part.

Reaction Score
A cheat is a cheat. Getting caught is the risk. Cheating without being uncovered is still cheating. Pretty soon they will make chess, darts, bowling and golf olympic sports. SMH.

Reaction Score
I'm a chess idiot but I occasionally I watch videos of Carlsen playing blitz to just to gape in wonderment at what he can do

There's one where he's playing a high-level blitz tournament while drinking beers and listening to music and giving running commentary. And he's just crushing.
Magnus is the best player in the history of the game. Of course, he has the advantage of practicing with computer programs to refine strategies. Could he beat past greats if they had access to computer programs also ? That's an open question.
For a comparison:
Magnus' current elo (numerical) rating is about 2880. (Highest ever for a human)
Stockfish (top conventional computer program) is around 3200
Alpha zero (Learning program) destroyed Stockfish in a 100 game match.
It was estimated that the match performance rating was close to 4000.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
'So, from this article I learn (and it is counterintuitive to me) that Chess Grand Masters tail off starting in their 40s.' not to be argumentive, but not really. peak brain (as a matter of empirical analysis) occurs around mid 20s. maybe it plateaus for another 10 years or so, case dependent. so, by 40s, it's measurably receding, especially in recall capacity, a tool extremely useful when enjoying a game of chaturanga, known in its current version as chess. recall, because, in the big leagues of grandmasters, chess history is part and parcel of their training. gambits ('dare il gambettto' to put a leg forward in order to trip someone--1500s, spain), for example. so friend, while we may be getting 'older but better,' or 'older and wiser,' as a matter of science, by the time humans hit their 40s, our 'ram' capacity is in full retreat, tho still case dependent in pace. don't sneeze too hard. lol.
Thanks for the interesting and informative post. Please allow me to correct one bit of it:

"gambits ('dare il gambettto' to put a leg forward in order to trip someone--1500s, spain)"
Dare il gambetto is Italian, not Spanish. Gamba, Italian for leg, is pierna in Spanish. Gambetto can be
translated a number of ways, but most commonly in the context of chess or ajedréz, it's either gambito or
apertura or lance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just not sure how you could put chess and darts in with golf? Golfers tend to walk about 5-7 miles for 18 and play 4 rounds on a weekend, sometimes in 90 degree weather. While it’s not basketball , hockey or football it does come close to baseball. I mean they swing a few times, sometimes baseball runs but it won’t be 7 Miles. Golfs a sport have to have hand eye coordination and be in decent shape to be a pro for the most part.
Darts is eye hand coordination. And ummm John Daley, Craig Stadler, Phil Mickelson. And you have some dominant players in their 40s?? Don't know how much a "sport" (athletic) that is.

And I'll agree on baseball, barely a sport. Though they do hit a moving ball as opposed to a stationary one. And they do have to run and dive on occasion. And throw and catch things. Yea, but it's about as slow as golf.

Reaction Score
. . . Pretty soon they will make chess, darts, bowling and golf olympic sports. SMH.

Golf already is an Olympic sport.

Justin Rose won the gold for Old Blighty at the Rio games. (Matt Kuchar won bronze
for the U.S.)

Reaction Score
If it is on one of the many ESPN channels/apps, isn't it considered a sport?
Also, isn't that Cornhole League a sport too?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
upon further review. from 'gambit,' Wikipedia;
'The word "gambit" was originally applied to chess openings in 1561 by Spanish priest Ruy López de Segura, from an Italian expression dare il gambetto (to put a leg forward in order to trip someone). López studied this maneuver, and so the Italian word gained the Spanish form gambito that led to French gambit, which has influenced the English spelling of the word. The broader sense of "opening move meant to gain advantage" was first recorded in English in 1855.'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom