Checkers verses Chess | The Boneyard

Checkers verses Chess

Reaction Score
I am not questioning AG nor CV's desire to win, but as a coach can you honestly/ realistically expect 5' 11 and 6'1 to challenge guards who are minimally 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier?
Brendan gives some weight/ effort/ talent and Boak offers height/ talent at the 2.Pick up at half court with 3 players assigned to pressure rebounds / out of bound plays. Our transition D has been suspect/ *y all year.
Have Polly / Boak/ Akok MOVE on offensive sets. Whaley ,Polly , and Adam's can set screens. Josh Carlton setting screens well past the free throw line makes me question WTF the plan ( if any) is.We are neither gritty nor overly talented. Pressure the ball as if we are psychotic. Put the smaller gems in.AG. CV , and Gaffney based off of need. SID needs minutes based on size/ athleticism alone. DH has some cards and I'm not questioning his coaching ability , nor the future of the program. Don't quite understand how he's playing this hand.

H

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not questioning AG nor CV's desire to win, but as a coach can you honestly/ realistically expect 5' 11 and 6'1 to challenge guards who are minimally 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier?
Brendan gives some weight/ effort/ talent and Boak offers height/ talent at the 2.Pick up at half court with 3 players assigned to pressure rebounds / out of bound plays. Our transition D has been suspect/ # 2*y all year.
Have Polly / Boak/ Akok MOVE on offensive sets. Whaley ,Polly , and Adam's can set screens. Josh Carlton setting screens well past the free throw line makes me question the plan ( if any) is.We are neither gritty nor overly talented. Pressure the ball as if we are psychotic. Put the smaller gems in.AG. CV , and Gaffney based off of need. SID needs minutes based on size/ athleticism alone. DH has some cards and I'm not questioning his coaching ability , nor the future of the program. Don't quite understand how he's playing this hand.

H
Are you too young to have watched Kemba, Bazz, and Boat? This is the second time in the past few days someone said having guards under 6'1 is too small at this level. It's pretty strange coming from UConn fans when our best point guards ever are Kemba, Shabazz, and Khalid.

Reaction Score
It's pretty strange coming from UConn fans when our best point guards ever are Kemba, Shabazz, and Khalid.
Its okay to add Boat to that list. He suffered his senior year only due to the supporting cast. Plus without Boat, Bazz may not have made that wall.

Reaction Score
Not making excuses for our coach or our team, but we have played much better basketball against non-AAC teams the past few years. I'm not sure what it is about this league, but most teams seem to be built with a bunch of guys who look like they could be Division 1 Running Backs or linebackers. The officiating often seems to be pretty lopsided...I look at a game like the USF game and it seems to be becoming more the "norm" than an aberration. There's no way anyone could have watched that game and told me that UConn was the more physical team and pushed and shoved more than USF leading to 13 more free throws for USF. Even the crappy commentators were talking about how Rideau pushed off his defender almost every time he had the ball. Again, it's on our staff and team to get bigger and stronger, but the officiating in this league has been piss poor and when you take a team that was clearly physically stronger than us and let them throw us around like rag dolls while on the other end of the floor calling touch fouls on us, it just gets frustrating. All the touch foul calls in league play have seemed to really effect our confidence on defense. Lots of people bashing our poor offense the last 2 games, but our defense has been the biggest issue against Cincy and USF.

Reaction Score
Not making excuses for our coach or our team, but we have played much better basketball against non-AAC teams the past few years. I'm not sure what it is about this league, but most teams seem to be built with a bunch of guys who look like they could be Division 1 Running Backs or linebackers. The officiating often seems to be pretty lopsided...I look at a game like the USF game and it seems to be becoming more the "norm" than an aberration. There's no way anyone could have watched that game and told me that UConn was the more physical team and pushed and shoved more than USF leading to 13 more free throws for USF. Even the crappy commentators were talking about how Rideau pushed off his defender almost every time he had the ball. Again, it's on our staff and team to get bigger and stronger, but the officiating in this league has been piss poor and when you take a team that was clearly physically stronger than us and let them throw us around like rag dolls while on the other end of the floor calling touch fouls on us, it just gets frustrating. All the touch foul calls in league play have seemed to really effect our confidence on defense. Lots of people bashing our poor offense the last 2 games, but our defense has been the biggest issue against Cincy and USF.

you are right. It’s not the best conference by any means but it’s certainly an annoying conference to play in.

Reaction Score
Are you too young to have watched Kemba, Bazz, and Boat? This is the second time in the past few days someone said having guards under 6'1 is too small at this level. It's pretty strange coming from UConn fans when our best point guards ever are Kemba, Shabazz, and Khalid.
Been a fan for decades. I'm 6 feet tall and have often attended UConn games. AG is not in the neighborhood of 6 feet tall.

Reaction Score

Also, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me, we got thoroughly clowned on Saturday by Rideau who looks all of 5’ 8” at best.

Reaction Score
When I was younger I was more of a Checkers guy, but as I grew up Chess is definitely the move.

Reaction Score
The sad reality of the AAC is that most of the teams are competitive enough to take down good schools, yet aren't worthy enough to receive attention from the national media. Unfortunately, the 12 teams in our conference have a reputation of falling somewhere in between.

Whenever we win, we're told that it was a game that should have been won. Whenever we lose, we're told the exact same thing. We've learned the hard way that schools like UCF, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, and SMU are tough to play, especially on the road. Whether they admit it or not, playing UConn is their Superbowl each season. When paired with our years of rebuilding and coaching hiccups, it's really been the perfect recipe for disaster. We are extremely fortunate to be leaving this mess.

Make no mistake, we should absolutely be winning more games. But also, be advised that we've been inundated with trap games for the past 7 years.

Reaction Score
Brendan gives some weight/ effort/ talent and Boak offers height/ talent at the 2.Pick up at half court with 3 players assigned to pressure rebounds / out of bound plays. Our transition D has been suspect/ # 2*y all year.
Have Polly / Boak/ Akok MOVE on offensive sets. Whaley ,Polly , and Adam's can set screens. Josh Carlton setting screens well past the free throw line makes me question the plan ( if any) is.We are neither gritty nor overly talented. Pressure the ball as if we are psychotic. Put the smaller gems in.AG. CV , and Gaffney based off of need. SID needs minutes based on size/ athleticism alone. DH has some cards and I'm not questioning his coaching ability , nor the future of the program. Don't quite understand how he's playing this hand.

H
Quickness often defeats size at guard. How you watched much basketball?

Reaction Score

The issue isn't size.

To be a successful contributor, you need to have at least 2 out of 3:
1) Physicality/athleticism/toughness
2) Skill
3) Basketball IQ

Kemba had all 3. Bazz was a bit more limited athletically, but made up for it in spades in IQ and skill. Khalid had the physique of a mall cop, but made up for it in toughness, IQ, and skill. Boat was ridiculously athletic for his size and developed his skills and feel for the game.

The problem isn't that Gilbert and Vital are too small.

The issue is that:
- Gilbert hasn't figured out how to make up for his lack of size with craftiness and intelligence, and maybe never will
- Vital, despite his toughness making up for his small stature, has little basketball IQ and a lot less skill than he thinks

Reaction Score
Been a fan for decades. I'm 6 feet tall and have often attended UConn games. AG is not in the neighborhood of 6 feet tall.
You said 5'11 and 6'1 guards can't be expected to challenge guards who are bigger than them. I pointed out that the best guards UConn has ever had are 5'11.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The sad reality of the AAC is that most of the teams are competitive enough to take down good schools, yet aren't worthy enough to receive attention from the national media. Unfortunately, the 12 teams in our conference have a reputation of falling somewhere in between.

Whenever we win, we're told that it was a game that should have been won. Whenever we lose, we're told the exact same thing. We've learned the hard way that schools like UCF, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, and SMU are tough to play, especially on the road. Whether they admit it or not, playing UConn is their Superbowl each season. When paired with our years of rebuilding and coaching hiccups, it's really been the perfect recipe for disaster. We are extremely fortunate to be leaving this mess.

Make no mistake, we should absolutely be winning more games. But also, be advised that we've been inundated with trap games for the past 7 years.
bad scheduling?

Reaction Score
Its okay to add Boat to that list. He suffered his senior year only due to the supporting cast. Plus without Boat, Bazz may not have made that wall.

Boat was Pippen to Shabazz's Jordan.

Reaction Score
You said 5'11 and 6'1 guards can't be expected to challenge guards who are bigger than them. I pointed out that the best guards UConn has ever had are 5'11.
No. What I said was that Adams and Boak should be getting more minutes than they are, especially against teams with bigger players at the 1and 2 positions. I'm talking about utilizing what you have at the moment. You are are defering to histotorionics. AG and BA couldn't hold a candle to the players you mentioned their Junior/ Senior years. Ding Ding Ding !!! They are a combo young in experience and age. Never stated nor implied small guards couldn't lead the team. My post stated that some our larger players might be used more to soften up some of the larger 1-2 combinations we will face this year and as we enter the Big East. Is that simple enough for you?

Reaction Score
No. What I said was that Adams and Boak should be getting more minutes than they are, especially against teams with bigger players at the 1and 2 positions. I'm talking about utilizing what you have at the moment. You are are defering to histotorionics. AG and BA couldn't hold a candle to the players you mentioned their Junior/ Senior years. Ding Ding Ding !!! They are a combo young in experience and age. Never stated nor implied small guards couldn't lead the team. My post stated that some our larger players might be used more to soften up some of the larger 1-2 combinations we will face this year and as we enter the Big East. Is that simple enough for you?

H
Again, the best point guards we've ever had are 5'11. Guess what, they were playing against other guards who were bigger than them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom