Check Your Stuff! | The Boneyard

Check Your Stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have always had reliable internet access, but it has not been optimal in years. Constant buffering and poor picture quality made media streaming unwatchable at times. Additionally, my wife experienced poor signal strength, slow speeds, and dropped connections with her laptop running Windows 7 (64) that she uses for work. These problems only occurred at our house which pointed to the Cable Modem Gateway.

The Netgear CG814WG Wireless Cable Modem Gateway rented from my Internet Service Provider (ISP) for $2.00 no, $4.00 no, make that $7.00 a month is a DOCSIS 1.1 device, my ISP conforms to the DOCSIS 3.0 speciation.

From Wikipedia:

“DOCSIS 3.0 was released in August 2006. Cross-version compatibility has been maintained across all versions of DOCSIS, with the devices falling back to the highest supported version in common between both endpoints: cable modem and cable modem termination system (CMTS). For example, if one has a cable modem that only supports DOCSIS 1.0, and the system is running 2.0, the connection will be established at DOCSIS 1.0 speeds.”

Let’s rub in a little salt.

The ISP website shows my $7.00 rental had reached End Of Life (EOL) 03/2009.

If Comcast is your ISP and you want to check start here. I would think other service providers would have something similar.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Rather than a gateway (2 in 1 device) I purchased a Medialink MWN-WAPR150N Wireless-N Broadband Router and a Zoom Cable Modem 3.0 series 1094. That fixed all problems! I no longer wonder if anyone is downloading something that is hogging bandwidth. As for my ISP…

Check your stuff!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We got a new router this summer and things have been much better since. Call the cable co. and see if you need your router replaced.

Reaction Score
The sloth and avarice of cable companies is legendary. Cablevision tried to slam a neighbor for $500 to install an Apple Airport Express.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom