Check-In: Connecticut Huskies Article | The Boneyard

Check-In: Connecticut Huskies Article

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting decision to completely exclude Stewart who has been projected to go in the draft, I anticipate a solid year from him.
Stewart is going to be a significant force. He was on the floor in the national championship game. This guy needs to do better homework.

Reaction Score
An egregious oversight to not mention Stewart, considering he singlehandedly broke open the Big East Tournament Championship game against them...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An egregious oversight to not mention Stewart, considering he singlehandedly broke open the Big East Tournament Championship game against them...
Except it wasn't really an oversight. He was aware of it. He just, inexplicably, decided not to. It's an odd choice.

Reaction Score
Nice write up, nothing new. The Torvik rating is meaningless. I’d say almost all preseason ratings right now around UConn are fairly meaningless as too many new pieces to speculate on. Will continue to push that the biggest variable to success this season is how the 5 spot shapes up. We just have too much depth and talent at the 1-4 for it not to work.

How steep a drop will life post Dovonan be? Can we make up for it in other ways? Do we need to make up for it to make a run? How does the staff tailor strategy around it? Much of that will hinge on Reed’s upside.

If you listen to the Sleepers fellas, one of them being a serious UM fan, he has major doubts around Reed. It sounds like it’s mainly upstairs. He’s mega talented physically, so this staff breaking him out of bad habits will be the major test.

Reaction Score
These drive by journalists rarely add anything new or anything resembling an insight.

Reaction Score
Nice write up, nothing new. The Torvik rating is meaningless. I’d say almost all preseason ratings right now around UConn are fairly meaningless as too many new pieces to speculate on. Will continue to push that the biggest variable to success this season is how the 5 spot shapes up. We just have too much depth and talent at the 1-4 for it not to work.

How steep a drop will life post Dovonan be? Can we make up for it in other ways? Do we need to make up for it to make a run? How does the staff tailor strategy around it? Much of that will hinge on Reed’s upside.

If you listen to the Sleepers fellas, one of them being a serious UM fan, he has major doubts around Reed. It sounds like it’s mainly upstairs. He’s mega talented physically, so this staff breaking him out of bad habits will be the major test.
Reed and defense without Clingan. I agree. They have so much potential scoring it’s crazy. Hurley has a way of getting guys to buy in to playing defense and it appears that he has loaded the team with those same kind of guys.

Reaction Score
These drive by journalists rarely add anything new or anything resembling an insight.
That's true, but people on forums for the team the article is writing about are not the targeted audience so that's not very surprising. The value is a summary for Marquette fans who are out of the loop.

Reaction Score
The Sleepers video was great--they hate Tarris and still ranked the 5 position as top 20 in the country! They acknowledge if anyone can teach him how to play in position, it's the staff here.

Reaction Score
The Sleepers video was great--they hate Tarris and still ranked the 5 position as top 20 in the country! They acknowledge if anyone can teach him how to play in position, it's the staff here.
Saw that one - the UM guy (Greg?) worships Hurley, so not that surprising.

As for the other post about Hurley having a way to teach team defense: yes, but it’s so much easier to teach when you have someone making anyone enter the lane think twice or get stuffed. Clingan made an opposing offense one dimensional, so our guards could go race out at 3s without worrying about getting beat off the dribble. I’d hope the defense can become what it was down the stretch in 23. Much of that year teams had a fairly easy time taking it into the paint with Adama in there. Then in March, something flipped.

Donovan made winning look really easy this past season. Down the stretch we had two premier defenders out there every game, likely the two best defenders in the entire tournament.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the defense will be good, but It’s hard to imagine something close to last year. Last year having either Castle or Clingan in resulted in about the same efficiency. Having both in resulted in the elite defense.

And the offense looks to have an awful lot of talent, if a bit smaller in the guards and deeper in the wings. I’m just hoping for something close to the 22-23 team. Maybe 23 or 24 wins entering the big east tourney, and seeing how far the train can go. I’m optimistic, but realistic. A 3peat is no joke. Tough to do, but, with the right matchups it’s possible.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Karaban is a sneaky good defender. We switched him out on other teams #2 scorer if a wing, and he stepped up with nimble feet and height and bk IQ.

Every Husky team has a really good defender, sometimes elite. Castle was elite, but DePriest was even more elite. This year, we might see Nowell, Ball, Stewart, Abraham, or Ross become an elite defender. Who knows?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom