"Cheap" NCAA Tickets on Craigslist | The Boneyard

"Cheap" NCAA Tickets on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought this would be informative for those who don't use Craigslist. I read the Boneyard often, but this is my first post. Bought tickets for $200 yesterday and thought I'd share the info with other Uconn fans.

When you search by owner on Craigslist, you eliminate all the brokers you find on every other site. The key is to search for the individual ticket holders.

Step 1: Go here: http://newyork.craigslist.org/tia/

Step 2: Type in "NCAA" in the search box. Search.

Step 3: Above the search button you'll see: -Owner - Dealer - All --- Click on "Owner"
upload_2014-3-24_14-45-58.png

The cheapest tickets for Friday's game are $175 each. Some in the $200 - $300 range.

Remember, a lot of these people are in NYC so you'll have to drive to pick up the tickets.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Be very careful of fakes on Craigslist. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Reaction Score
Never send money electronically. Meet with cash in a public place. Obviously use common sense, but I've never had a problem. If the person or the tickets seem shady... walk away.

Reaction Score
You actually received these tickets, I assume.

I got my tickets, but I can't vouch for every Craigslist posting. You're dealing with individuals. It's the same as the real world. Most people are decent. Avoid the scumbags.

Reaction Score
UCFootball will be posted IFO MSG looking for cheap seats on Friday night. Say hi to him. Just kidding of course.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never send money electronically. Meet with cash in a public place. Obviously use common sense, but I've never had a problem. If the person or the tickets seem shady... walk away.
I got my tickets, but I can't vouch for every Craigslist posting. You're dealing with individuals. It's the same as the real world. Most people are decent. Avoid the scumbags.
I agree with all of this and I also have used Craigslist several times before without a problem, selling and buying tickets for face value.

My point about this game is that the NCAAs (and the old BET) are a whole different ballgame for scalpers, and for scams. If you see a lot of tickets there at or near face value, I would expect most of them to be fakes.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Tempting but how do you avoid fakes?
You can't. I have friends who have bought bogus tickets (hard copy) on craiglists. Even if you meet the person, the tickets look flawless. As 8893 said, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Either way, I'm looking for 4 tickets for friday night :)!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
You're only going to find out if they aren't really fakes the minute you get to MSG and have them scanned. Happened to some friends at the Big East tournament a few years back. From all accounts the tickets looked legit until they failed the scan. The usher was impressed with the level of forgery.

Despite the absurd prices, at least if you go through a re-seller like StubHub they are responsible for the authenticity.

Reaction Score
My point about this game is that the NCAAs (and the old BET) are a whole different ballgame for scalpers, and for scams. If you see a lot of tickets there at or near face value, I would expect most of them to be fakes.

I agree. I paid $200 for one ticket for Friday nights game. That's double face value. You're not going to find face value tickets anywhere. I bought them from an attractive woman with two kids in a minivan at a MCDonalds. She emailed me from her work email. The tickets are legit. If I got scammed by a 3rdbass... kudos to her.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Despite the absurd prices, at least if you go through a re-seller like StubHub they are responsible for the authenticity.
What is stubhub's policy if tickets turn out to be fake? You call them and they try to give you other tickets or refund?

Reaction Score
I agree. I paid $200 for one ticket for Friday nights game. That's double face value. You're not going to find face value tickets anywhere. I bought them from an attractive woman with two kids in a minivan at a MCDonalds. She emailed me from her work email. The tickets are legit. If I got scammed by a 3rdbass... kudos to her.

We got scammed at the Detroit Final Four by a mom with a couple kids on their way into the game. Never in my life would I have thought she was a scammer. In retrospect, she seemed nervous and rushed.

Reaction Score
We got scammed at the Detroit Final Four by a mom with a couple kids on their way into the game. Never in my life would I have thought she was a scammer. In retrospect, she seemed nervous and rushed.

That sucks, but I believe it. The good part about Craigslist is you can ask for any kind of verification you want. Ask to copy their drivers license, add them on Facebook, have them email you from work, anything. I understand why people hesitate, but I think you're more likely to get scammed on the sidewalk outside of MSG than if you take the proper steps to purchase them online. For me, I have the woman's work email and found her linkedin page. I highly doubt she's risking her career for a $400 score.

Lessons Learned From This Thread:

Lesson #1: The cheapest tickets are available on Craigslist.
Lesson #2: There are scam artists both on Craigslist and in real life.
Lesson #3: Don't be a moron when giving hundreds of dollars to a stranger.

Reaction Score
How to know if the tickets are legit: seller is wearing a nova shirt.

100% being honest... My scammer/mom was actually wearing 'Nova gear. We just assumed she worked for the AD or something (she had an envelope of tix).

Reaction Score
I went back and forth with the "different sellers" of these lower listed tickets. All would not provide their name and none had pic of tickets. All messages were sent from an iPhone.

Didn't feel right to me.

Reaction Score
I went back and forth with the "different sellers" of these lower listed tickets. All would not provide their name and none had pic of tickets. All messages were sent from an iPhone.

Didn't feel right to me.

Smart man. You now know how to successfully use craigslist without getting scammed.

Reaction Score
I would first look at the background of the user if they do that in craigslist(I know they do that in amazon and ebay for sellers). I remember buying a book at amazon and the buyer never gave me anything, I asked amazon for refund and got it. Looked at his profile bio and others had written that he didn't ever provide the things he was selling.

It's worth a shot for 175, just go to somewhere public that is not shady looking or out of the norm. gluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom