Chattanooga Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Chattanooga Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
27% on threes; 63% free throws. Not good. This needs to improve, and very soon.
We missed 6 of 16 FTs. Gabby, Saniya, and Kia missed 1 each, which is not too bad. Kyla's 1-4 was the weak spot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not worried about what they allowed in the second half, that was just dandy. But the lack of a stronger performance at the arc and the stripe will cost us a win, and maybe soon. DePaul is a quality opponent who makes other teams pay for mistakes and misfires.
Irwin went 1-4 on FTs - drop her numbers out and they shot 75% from the foul line which is very respectable. They shot 52% from the field which is very nice thank you, but were cold from three tonight - which means for the year they are only shooting threes at 42% which is a little better than the 38% they hit last year.

They had only 9 turnovers and they had 21 assists - numbers we are more used to from uconn teams, and they committed only 11 fouls.

It was a good game for them, especially seeing as they were saddled with the dreaded gray uniforms, and were coming back from a mini-break short-handed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
After the game, Geno seemed to be implying that Crystal may be ready for Thursday night: they will surely need her, if for no other reason than that DePaul runs teams ragged.
Not Baylor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just watched the replay and have just a few thoughts:

Napheesa is amazing. Her movements without the ball are almost uncanny. She gets in scoring position often and usually converts. 11-12 is superb shooting!

Gabby is a splendid athlete. What she does on the court is so athletic and varied. She's a special player.

Though Lou shot the ball only so-so by her standards, I liked the diversity of the shot attempts. The more she moves, the harder to guard she becomes. In a matter of seconds, she took a charge, scored on a layup, and got a steal though she was out of bounds. She was everywhere!

Saniya didn't shoot the ball as well as usual either, but I thought she played well and had several nice assists.

Molly did pretty well. She's a decent defender, but is a little too eager the get rid of the ball. I agree with Geno that she needs to relax and slow down just a little.

As a reminder, even on our greatest undefeated teams, we played some games that included sloppy basketball. We are not going to win every quarter or make textbook plays on every possession. As long as we do those things more than the other guys, we'll be ok. I like the way this team is growing. The margin over other teams is obviously smaller this year, but we are better than most of them--and maybe all of them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno in rare form at the post game! He was complaining like crazy about the team, but you could see he was really enjoying himself and happy. Feels the team needs a serious butt kicking to wake them up to how tough this season is going to be.
Not sure if this will work:
University of Connecticut powered by College Sports Live

Rare form indeed. When asked how well his team is prepared for the upcoming stretch of tough games in December:

Well I hope these ranked teams are as good as everybody says they are, cuz we need to get our ass beat, soon and bad, so that some of our guys will come to realize that this is not as easy as they think it is. I'm sure — Thursday night, I know they're good. And I know Texas is good. And I know the team we're playing next Wednesday is really good. So I'm hoping all the teams after that are really really really good. Because we need a good ol'-fashioned ass-kicking right about now.
And I love the part where he talks about the team in Stewie's freshman year:

They faced reality a lot. They got their butts kicked. And they got tougher from December, January, February ... by the time we got to March, those guys were tough. Because they got their butts kicked along the way. They didn't like it. They didn't like it, and it changed who they were.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
About Napheesa's defense, Geno said "if Napheesa averages 40, it will be a wash with the guy she guards". I saw the post game comments on You Tube. Well worth the ten minutes to watch. Definitely not stereotypical coach speak.

Reaction Score
About Napheesa's defense, Geno said "if Napheesa averages 40, it will be a wash with the guy she guards". I saw the post game comments on You Tube. Well worth the ten minutes to watch. Definitely not stereotypical coach speak.
Really, Pheesa pretty much escaped Geno's ire up to now. Now that she's producing so well, Geno's decided to "motivate" her.

Oh man, "our guys are like everyone else. Play defense when they want to. HOF coach, but they play defense only when they give a ...." Geno must really, really, really like these kids to be so critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom