Chatroom last night | The Boneyard

Chatroom last night

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
for all those chat room visitors who can be counted on to make those wonderful defeatist comments the moment UConn falls behind - especially those with the expectant repetitive "its on KO", "this is a really lousy team", "the team SUCKS", etc. - to me this comeback is extremely satisfying.
While I can't tell or ask people to stay away from the room, the negative chatter is annoying but comically expected from the usual suspects.
If a team is not hitting shots, its hard to stay in any game, no matter how good or bad you are and no matter who you play.
Yes, there were some real bonehead fouls and some defensive lapses in that 1st half but I could feel that when and if the team started to see the ball go through the hoop, this group would comeback.
I can gleefully state that this team does not suck - they are depleted, offensively challenged at times but plucky and have a heart
This win is "on KO" - he was coaching his heart out and was not "out schemed" (as one contributor claimed) by Tubby

Reaction Score
for all those chat room visitors who can be counted on to make those wonderful defeatist comments the moment UConn falls behind - especially those with the expectant repetitive "its on KO", "this is a really lousy team", "the team SUCKS", etc. - to me this comeback is extremely satisfying.
While I can't tell or ask people to stay away from the room, the negative chatter is annoying but comically expected from the usual suspects.
If a team is not hitting shots, its hard to stay in any game, no matter how good or bad you are and no matter who you play.
Yes, there were some real bonehead fouls and some defensive lapses in that 1st half but I could feel that when and if the team started to see the ball go through the hoop, this group would comeback.
I can gleefully state that this team does not suck - they are depleted, offensively challenged at times but plucky and have a heart
This win is "on KO" - he was coaching his heart out and was not "out schemed" (as one contributor claimed) by Tubby

There is an unwritten rule about the chat room. What is said in the chat room, stays in the chat room.

It's expected that pacemakers and alcohol are partly or mostly responsible for chatrooms.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a poor game plan by the staff. There was no reason for a Memphis team that limited offensively to come into Hartford and hang 40 in the first half. Sure, there were some transition breakdowns, and Memphis shot above their pay grade, but it still wasn't a good idea to have Brimah chasing Lawson out to the three point line.

There were clearly some adjustments made in the second half, and you have to give KO a lot of credit for adapting, first with the smaller lineup (with Facey at the five and Brimah on the bench) and later with the zone that stationed Brimah closer to the basket. The execution offensively was pretty good all night, from what I saw. In the first half the shots weren't falling, but that happens.

It isn't some grand indictment on Ollie to be pushed by a guy like Tubby Smith. Smith can coach x's and o's with just about anybody and I commend him for masking the ineptitude of his guards for a while there in that first half. Ollie took some jabs early and responded. That's what you want. Not everything has to be perfectly black and white - there will be spurts of game action where he'll be out-leveraged by another coach and then there will be spurts where he'll have the better of someone else. It's all part of the process, even for guys who are in the Hall of Fame. Coaching isn't some intrinsic power - it's fluid just like playing is fluid and when you bring enough brain power together, sometimes yours isn't going to stand out as much. I haven't loved the job Ollie has done the last couple seasons, but he's also a guy who seems to value the process over immediate results and that has to be considered, especially when it's been so rare to see them get out-coached in March.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I said the same thing about the game thread. I'm beyond tired of the "woe is me" crowd popping up their heads the very second that we trail by 5 points in the first half. It happens every game.

And yet they don't learn their lesson that Ollie has never had a losing season, his teams always show great heart and perseverance, and we continue to improve toward the goal of winning the American tournament. We've won 6 out of the last 7, many of those with 6 scholarship players available, and people are acting like Ollie kicked their dog. Last night was so gratifying for me... :cool:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I thought it was a poor game plan by the staff. There was no reason for a Memphis team that limited offensively to come into Hartford and hang 40 in the first half. Sure, there were some transition breakdowns, and Memphis shot above their pay grade, but it still wasn't a good idea to have Brimah chasing Lawson out to the three point line.

There were clearly some adjustments made in the second half, and you have to give KO a lot of credit for adapting, first with the smaller lineup (with Facey at the five and Brimah on the bench) and later with the zone that stationed Brimah closer to the basket. The execution offensively was pretty good all night, from what I saw. In the first half the shots weren't falling, but that happens.

It isn't some grand indictment on Ollie to be pushed by a guy like Tubby Smith. Smith can coach x's and o's with just about anybody and I commend him for masking the ineptitude of his guards for a while there in that first half. Ollie took some jabs early and responded. That's what you want. Not everything has to be perfectly black and white - there will be spurts of game action where he'll be out-leveraged by another coach and then there will be spurts where he'll have the better of someone else. It's all part of the process, even for guys who are in the Hall of Fame. Coaching isn't some intrinsic power - it's fluid just like playing is fluid and when you bring enough brain power together, sometimes yours isn't going to stand out as much. I haven't loved the job Ollie has done the last couple seasons, but he's also a guy who seems to value the process over immediate results and that has to be considered, especially when it's been so rare to see them get out-coached in March.
Memphis, SMU, Cinci. Our bigs don't close out on shooters and our guys don't sprint back in transition

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Memphis, SMU, Cinci. Our bigs don't close out on shooters and our guys don't sprint back in transition
I generally think the KO criticism is over the top, but this is spot on.

He can't do much about the first - our project bigs are who they are. The second, tho, is one of the areas in which he clearly needs to improve as a coach.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
what would it take to make the chat room iPhone compatible?

I'll look into it, but the last time I checked it was $450. There may be another option.

Bryan,
Try the Puffin browser. It's free and handles some things that Safari doesn't. It seemed to work fine for me when I tried it just now other than being very small.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I generally think the KO criticism is over the top, but this is spot on.

He can't do much about the first - our project bigs are who they are. The second, tho, is one of the areas in which he clearly needs to improve as a coach.
They did in the second half which probably is the primary reason Memphis scored a lot fewer points in the second half.

IMO the players are caught between having to pace themselves and not let the game get out of control. It was too close this game but I feel it had more to do with bad shooting including free throws than bad defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom