Chasing Ghosts: Calhoun looms large, but clouds parting at UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chasing Ghosts: Calhoun looms large, but clouds parting at UConn

Reaction Score
To be honest, this is pretty well done. I think the consensus is that we are about to turn the corner heading into Hurley Year 3/Entering the Big East Year 1. Hopefully this truly is the start of our rise again
This is. just look at how the recruiting has picked up. Akok looks like he's going to be an impact player from day 1, Bouknight appears to be NBA level athlete and guys are developing just look at the steps Carlton took in his second season. I think this team while it may not make the tournament it will be in the hunt come March and I think they'll be fun to watch again.

Reaction Score
Sad really. I think KO could have been our coach for as long as he wanted if he continued to work hard and be engaged... and if he continued to use JC as a resource. Most coaches would be grateful to have access to that level of wisdom and expertise. Hurley is. He just had Calhoun come in and address the team.

I've said this before but I truly believe that from 2012 - 2014 no one could have done a better job than Kevin. From 2014 on, pretty much anyone could have.

I don't know whether this is true, or if Ollie was just overwhelmed once all of the aspects of running a major college program fell on him, and it just took a few years for it to manifest itself.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know whether this is true, or if Ollie was just overwhelmed once all of the aspects of running a major college program fell on him, and it just took a few years for it to manifest itself.
Even if that's the reason, it still is true. For whatever reason the wheels fell of the bus after 2014. He looked outstanding until then and miserable afterwards.

If KO gets an NBA job after the 2014 natty. He's remembered as one of the all time greats at UConn. What makes it sad, from my perspective is his fall is largely self-inflicted, whether that's disinterested neglect or inexperience it was fixable by Ollie.

Reaction Score

It is hard for some to admit one thing … Kevin Ollie was superb at taking 8 man rotation and creating a TEAM that won. Those weren't fluke wins in MM in 2014 and they were competitive all year.

The Problem is that - now we can put it in words - running a College Program is a multifaceted CEO job. He lacked evaluation skills that many guys gain through years of watching HS/AAU games and coaching at lower levels; he lacked strategy management because he hadn't been coaching at those lower levels (the NBA frankly prepares you for some things but not the full spectrum); he clearly doesn't understand the full importance of interaction with the University and mentoring kids through academic years; in contrast to Calhoun - we clearly see his motivational focus was lacking; and I think we'd all agree that he was not near as good in player development - PRACTICE HABITS - as the previous guy.

Plus his personal life sucked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom