Chasing Crumbs..... | The Boneyard

Chasing Crumbs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From a simple TOTAL economic standpoint, does any of this conference re-alignment activity actually increase the TOTAL pool of money. In other words, do more bodies in total watch games (in person, on TV, etc) with the conferences arranged one way vs. conferences arranged a different way? If the answer to that is NO, then the whole re-alignment thing is really ONLY about how you slice up the total revenue pie. If the answer is YES (and the total revenue pie actually grows), then the equation is completely different.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From a simple TOTAL economic standpoint, does any of this conference re-alignment activity actually increase the TOTAL pool of money. In other words, do more bodies in total watch games (in person, on TV, etc) with the conferences arranged one way vs. conferences arranged a different way? If the answer to that is NO, then the whole re-alignment thing is really ONLY about how you slice up the total revenue pie. If the answer is YES (and the total revenue pie actually grows), then the equation is completely different.
Not sure how the pie is gonna grow bigger. Especially as they are destroying many of the rivalries and regional interests.

Reaction Score
Not sure how the pie is gonna grow bigger. Especially as they are destroying many of the rivalries and regional interests.
Implying the pie would get smaller which makes the whole thing a negative sum game. Somewhat like musical chairs - only when the music stops, there are less chairs!!! Wonder how many college presidents/AD's comprehend this?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
No one school has the luxury of looking at the entire picture. It is the "tragedy of the commons" (or "fallacy of composition) . From the standpoint of decision making, each school's executives must do the best that they can for their individual school, even if in the long run that is harmful to the community of schools. If an individual school abstains, their situation will be adversely affected and the long-run outcome for all schools as a group will be only slightly affected.

Reaction Score
That might be fine for the Big East, but I'm sure UCONN doesn't want to be a part of that.
I agree, but given that we don't have much choice in the matter what else can we do? Sometimes you have to make the most out of the hand you are dealt.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Implying the pie would get smaller which makes the whole thing a negative sum game. Somewhat like musical chairs - only when the music stops, there are less chairs!!! Wonder how many college presidents/AD's comprehend this?
I don't really know, I'm not a TV executive, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would grow when you are destroying so many things???? IDK, maybe it will be better in the end, I just don't see how. Maybe I just don't like change.;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree, but given that we don't have much choice in the matter what else can we do? Sometimes you have to make the most out of the hand you are dealt.
Well we may have a choice down the road. Hopefully, UCONN will get a chance to either stay or go somewhere. Then they will have to decide what is best. Maybe not though, maybe UCONN will be the ugly wallflower that never gets asked to dance. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom