Chase Young | The Boneyard

Chase Young

Reaction Score
You can just see how well this proposal to pay players for their likeness is going to go over with the ncaa :confused:

Reaction Score
But this had nothing to do with paying for his likeness. I am interested to see the guidelines.

Reaction Score
“To cover basic life expense”...

>>The issue that has led to Ohio State defensive end Chase Young being suspended indefinitely dates to December 2018, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told The Athletic, when Young borrowed money from a family friend to fly his girlfriend to California to attend the Rose Bowl. Young paid that money back in April, the person said.<<

Reaction Score
I forget where I read it but he has known the “close family friend” since right before his freshman year. Ummmm.

I would think he is suspended rest of year.

Reaction Score
I forget where I read it but he has known the “close family friend” since right before his freshman year. Ummmm.

I would think he is suspended rest of year.

It’s in his tweet above...

... GameDay discussion was 4 games but probably reduced to 2-3 on the appeal

Reaction Score
Here's a thought . . . how bout the girlfriend getting her own "loan" to fly out for the Rose Bowl. She can pay it back when she has accumulated enough money. Maybe she works at a part time job like so many college student do. What about the tuba player in the band . . . how does his girlfriend attend the game. BS, this kkd should be done for the season. He can concentrate on his studies.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to learn that he met his close family friend while he was on campus for summer classes. It’s not his fault everyone wants to be his friend.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to learn that he met his close family friend while he was on campus for summer classes. It’s not his fault everyone wants to be his friend.

His close “family friend” is an agent

Reaction Score
Here's a thought . . . how bout the girlfriend getting her own "loan" to fly out for the Rose Bowl. She can pay it back when she has accumulated enough money. Maybe she works at a part time job like so many college student do. What about the tuba player in the band . . . how does his girlfriend attend the game. BS, this kkd should be done for the season. He can concentrate on his studies.

the tuba player can get a loan from anyone, including a music agent, host a party as if he’s recruiting at Louisville and fly out 10 Ladies. Now, which NCAA rule did he violate?

how about we stop pretending these kids aren’t generating hundreds of millions and unable to capitalize on it, unlike any other STUDENT, including the tuba maestro

Reaction Score
the tuba player can get a loan from anyone, including a music agent, host a party as if he’s recruiting at Louisville and fly out 10 Ladies. Now, which NCAA rule did he violate?

how about we stop pretending these kids aren’t generating hundreds of millions and unable to capitalize on it, unlike any other STUDENT, including the tuba maestro

And how about we stop pretending that women athletes will see a dime of this new financial windfall. Yeah, yeah...women athletes don't "bring home the bacon", so why should they get paid. Right?

Reaction Score
Assuming he got the loan from a “friend” and that friend was an agent —he has no one to blame but himself. He jeopardized his team’s success for his personal desire.

Reaction Score
While some schools make millions off their athletic programs, other school lose money on their athletic programs. Teams that don’t show a profit shouldn’t be allowed to pay their players. Once the players prove they are good enough to generate a profit, then they should qualify for payments.

Reaction Score
While some schools make millions off their athletic programs, other school lose money on their athletic programs. Teams that don’t show a profit shouldn’t be allowed to pay their players. Once the players prove they are good enough to generate a profit, then they should qualify for payments.

completely disagree here. It’s all or nothing. (Although if this was a sarcastic post, my sarcasm meter is off so my apologies)

Reaction Score
completely disagree here. It’s all or nothing. (Although if this was a sarcastic post, my sarcasm meter is off so my apologies)

I was agreeing with the guy who said that the schools make millions off the players. So the athletes should be able to make money too. But if the schools aren’t making a profit off the players, then the players don’t deserve the money. Using the logic that the schools are making million, it seems like only the players who play on teams that actually make a profit should qualify to get paid.

Reaction Score

Aren’t there variable factors involved? Like how the revenue is allocated?

Reaction Score
Aren’t there variable factors involved? Like how the revenue is allocated?

I don’t know. All he said was that the players generated hundreds of millions for the school, so they deserved a share of it. I guess if the athletic departments are losing money, these same players should be required to reimburse the school for the money the school lost. Maybe just limit it to returning the value of the scholarship

Reaction Score
I don’t know. All he said was that the players generated hundreds of millions for the school, so they deserved a share of it. I guess if the athletic departments are losing money, these same players should be required to reimburse the school for the money the school lost. Maybe just limit it to returning the value of the scholarship
Silly argument. Schools lose millions and pay coaches millions. Shouldn't those coaches have to pay millions rather than collect millions?

Reaction Score
Silly argument. Schools lose millions and pay coaches millions. Shouldn't those coaches have to pay millions rather than collect millions?

don’t know, but in post #12 it was explained that the players generate hundreds of millions for the schools and should be able to capitalize on it. It seems as if the schools are actually losing money on the sports teams, they should be able to bill the athletes, or at a minimum ask for a reimbursement of the scholarship. And then, if the teams start to generate a profit, they can reinstate the scholarships.

Reaction Score
don’t know, but in post #12 it was explained that the players generate hundreds of millions for the schools and should be able to capitalize on it. It seems as if the schools are actually losing money on the sports teams, they should be able to bill the athletes, or at a minimum ask for a reimbursement of the scholarship. And then, if the teams start to generate a profit, they can reinstate the scholarships.

Before they bill the athletes, shouldn’t they cut costs? I.e. non revenue generating sports, bloated administration etc ?

Reaction Score
Before they bill the athletes, shouldn’t they cut costs? I.e. non revenue generating sports, bloated administration etc ?

probably. But if they still can’t make the program profitable, they probably shouldn’t let the players make money off It. Only players who play for programs that make the hundreds of millions outlined above should be eligible to be paid.

Reaction Score

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel
8m
Because the Chase Young and James Wiseman stories broke the same day, they'll always be linked. Ohio State played ball with the NCAA, held out Young and avoided a punitive punishment. Memphis has ignored NCAA advice and played Wiseman. Will be interesting how that unfolds.

Reaction Score

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel 8m
Because the Chase Young and James Wiseman stories broke the same day, they'll always be linked. Ohio State played ball with the NCAA, held out Young and avoided a punitive punishment. Memphis has ignored NCAA advice and played Wiseman. Will be interesting how that unfolds.

Memphis is not likely to appreciate how the NCAA will react. But they knew this. They saw Wiseman as being out for the year and never playing in a Memphis uniform if they didn't do something and determined what do we have to lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom