Charlottesville, VA food and other recommendations | The Boneyard

Charlottesville, VA food and other recommendations

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Going to a wedding in Charlottesville later this summer and will have a night and most of a day to spend doing whatever we want.

I know UVA is supposed to be a beautiful campus so we will check that out, but I'm looking for other suggestions, and especially restaurant recommendations.

One nice dinner, two breakfasts and two lunches.

Good bars, too.

Thanks!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Starr Hill Brewing. Don't know if Nate or Ross still work there, but ask for them and if they do, tell them Vegas sent you!

Reaction Score
I've lived in Charlottesville for the past 2 years and just bought a house here. Awesome college town with excellent breweries, wineries, and restaurants.

For your nice dinner, I'd highly recommend Tavola. Higher-end Italian fare in the Downtown Belmont neighborhood. Located a short distance away from the Downtown Mall area so still close to everything but away from the crowds and a little quieter. My favorite restaurant in Cville. Will have to make a reservation at least a week in advance.

For lunches, I'd check out Guajiros Miami Eatery (fun cuban-style fare w/ good coffee) and Kardinal Hall (German Pub fare w/ nice outdoor seating). You should also check out the Dairy Market, a somewhat newish Market Hall in the center of town with different restaurants and Starr Hill Brewery connected to it.

For breakfasts, Guajiros also does a great breakfast. Tip Top is more casual standard diner food (little outside of the downtown area). Oakhurst Inn is a great hidden gem next to UVA that does a good brunch and has great coffee. Go to Belle if you're into breakfast sandwiches/donuts (same neighborhood as Tavola).

Charlottesville surprisingly doesn't have the greatest bar scene. I'd personally stick to breweries like Champion, Three Notch'd, Random Row, Starr Hill, etc. Millers is a decent bar right in the Downtown Mall where you can play pool. If you want to make the 45ish-minute drive Devils Backbone is a fun outdoor brewery outside of Shenandoah. Pro Re Nata also has a similar setup in Crozet (30 minutes west just outside Shenandoah).

These are all my favorites and won't let you down!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you like Latin food try Zocalo. Really not a bad dish on their menu. Been there a few times when in Charlottesville and never a bad meal and service is excellent both times.

Reaction Score
My food cycle when I go to visit the in laws is breakfast- bagels at bodos, lunch - sandwich at bellair market (Montpelier FTW), and dinner - Sedona taphouse on barracks...it's good not great but usually chill and good beer selection and it's behind barracks so a bit out of the way.

Beer run good alternate brunch option but bodos is a must - blue moon diner dark horse option. Tavola is really good Italian, c&o really good French, and we liked mas tapas the few times we went

If you get sloppy drunk on the corner you're legally required to get a Gus burger. If you're not sloppy drunk and want an actual good burger, go to Boylan

Bar scene u can't go wrong just meandering on the mall and stopping wherever. We hung out at whiskey jar a bunch in particular for my wedding weekend - solid whiskey selection as u would expect and good southern style fare if you're hungry. I second champion as a good brewery spot and close to the mall so u can bar hop easily

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Citizen Burger on the downtown mall was my favorite spot when I lived in Charlottesville in 2015.

The Alley Light is a really cool speakeasy right off the mall.

But heave heard the downtown mall has been overrun with homeless in recent years.

Blue Mountain Brewery in Crozet is awesome. Bold Rock cidery at the orchard on top of Carter mountain just outside of town has amazing views for a sunset.

Reaction Score
Bodo's Bagels are the best around! Head up Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP. I miss the views and camping there...

Reaction Score
I've lived in Charlottesville for the past 2 years and just bought a house here. Awesome college town with excellent breweries, wineries, and restaurants.

For your nice dinner, I'd highly recommend Tavola. Higher-end Italian fare in the Downtown Belmont neighborhood. Located a short distance away from the Downtown Mall area so still close to everything but away from the crowds and a little quieter. My favorite restaurant in Cville. Will have to make a reservation at least a week in advance.

For lunches, I'd check out Guajiros Miami Eatery (fun cuban-style fare w/ good coffee) and Kardinal Hall (German Pub fare w/ nice outdoor seating). You should also check out the Dairy Market, a somewhat newish Market Hall in the center of town with different restaurants and Starr Hill Brewery connected to it.

For breakfasts, Guajiros also does a great breakfast. Tip Top is more casual standard diner food (little outside of the downtown area). Oakhurst Inn is a great hidden gem next to UVA that does a good brunch and has great coffee. Go to Belle if you're into breakfast sandwiches/donuts (same neighborhood as Tavola).

Charlottesville surprisingly doesn't have the greatest bar scene. I'd personally stick to breweries like Champion, Three Notch'd, Random Row, Starr Hill, etc. Millers is a decent bar right in the Downtown Mall where you can play pool. If you want to make the 45ish-minute drive Devils Backbone is a fun outdoor brewery outside of Shenandoah. Pro Re Nata also has a similar setup in Crozet (30 minutes west just outside Shenandoah).

These are all my favorites and won't let you down!
My daughter went to UVA for 4 years from CT. One place we would ALWAYS go to for breakfast is BODOS BAGELS, if you like bagels.

Reaction Score
My daughter went to UVA for 4 years from CT. One place we would ALWAYS go to for breakfast is BODOS BAGELS, if you like bagels.

To be fair, down south bagels are barely a step above Einstein or Breuggers. Pizza and bagels get more revolting the farther south you go from NY

Charlottesville is a great town though. My wife decided between UVA, Vandy and UNC law school back before I met her and liked Charlottesville way better than the other locations. Ended up at UNC because she went for less than 10k a year and UVA wasn't going to be 60k.

Reaction Score
Oh ya, I've been to Bodos many a time. Always go very early in the morning to grab a road breakfast sandwich before I take long drives back to CT to visit family. If I'm in the mood for a bagel specifically I'll go there. Any other breakfast foods there are some other places I prefer. Just me though!

Reaction Score
To be fair, down south bagels are barely a step above Einstein or Breuggers. Pizza and bagels get more revolting the farther south you go from NY

Charlottesville is a great town though. My wife decided between UVA, Vandy and UNC law school back before I met her and liked Charlottesville way better than the other locations. Ended up at UNC because she went for less than 10k a year and UVA wasn't going to be 60k.
If you have never been to Bodos then you can't talk. That place rivals anywhere in NYC.

Reaction Score
If you have never been to Bodos then you can't talk. That place rivals anywhere in NYC.

You seem to be taking this a bit more seriously than I intended. Everything okay?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

As someone who has lived in both Cville and Nashville, “town” is an accurate description. Really not much there outside of the UVA campus & downtown mall that is “local” if you want a walkable downtown lifestyle. Lots of strip malls and chain restaurants.

But the area outside of Charlottesville is some of the most beautiful in the country IMO. At least east of the Mississippi.

And can confirm that good bagels, pizza and chinese food don’t really exist south of Jersey.

Reaction Score
You seem to be taking this a bit more seriously than I intended. Everything okay?
Uva folk don't mess around with our bodos. Its not NY, but it's not far off...they really are good.

It's like someone telling a unc alum that late night timeout fried chicken is garbage...they're just wrong

Reaction Score
Uva folk don't mess around with our bodos. Its not NY, but it's not far off...they really are good.

It's like someone telling a unc alum that late night timeout fried chicken is garbage...they're just wrong

My wife has been a vegetarian since she was 12 years old. Pork butt and fried chicken are the only things that tempt her. They do meat well down south, no doubt.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of this Turkish place Sultan Kebab, which is now near the downtown mall.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Thanks all. Great stuff.

@InKembaITrust , altough I hesitate to search out Italian restaurants when taveling because we are so spoiled with great Italian restaurants here, I made a reservation at Tavola. Quick question: I see that the patio seating is first come, first served, so I figure we can check that out when we arrive; but Resy offered "dining room" or "back dining" options for reservations. I chose dining room, but I'm curious if you know what "back dining" means, and if it is preferable.

Reaction Score
Thanks all. Great stuff.

@InKembaITrust , altough I hesitate to search out Italian restaurants when taveling because we are so spoiled with great Italian restaurants here, I made a reservation at Tavola. Quick question: I see that the patio seating is first come, first served, so I figure we can check that out when we arrive; but Resy offered "dining room" or "back dining" options for reservations. I chose dining room, but I'm curious if you know what "back dining" means, and if it is preferable.
Glad to hear it! It's really impossible to have a bad meal at this restaurant.

So, from my experience, there are 3 sections to the restaurant. The dining room is what you see through the restaurant's front windows. You won't enter the restaurant through the "front door." You enter through the building's left side alleyway that leads to a side door. This way, if you sit in the dining room you're not constantly bombarded with patrons going in and out. I'd say the dining room has approximately 10-15 tables, but what really sets it apart (other than being in the front) is it's where the kitchen is located (open to patrons).

The middle of the restaurant is where the side door entryway takes you and is where the bar is located. Again, approximately 10ish tables and not as much natural light as the dining room. I've eaten in both these areas and couldn't recommend the dining room more (better lighting, feels more authentic with the kitchen, little more bustling restaurant vibe, etc.).

The "back dining" area is the one space I've never dined, so unfortunately, I can't provide any advice here. I assume it's a bit more private/quiet space for the restaurant, so unless you're part of a large party/private event, I'd still prefer the dining room.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip to C'Ville!

Reaction Score
Brother and Sister-in-Law are certified food snobs and swear by the Ivy Inn. Also, they say if the wedding is at one of the local wineries you are in for a great time.

Reaction Score
my daughter and I stopped in Charlottesville on the way home from the UConn/Clemson FB game this fall....UVA had just played ND so the campus was buzzing on a Sunday morning... Bodo's was a mob scene so we stopped in.

The bagel itself was fine.. not special. The Egg Sandwich overall....poor

Cool vibe, fun place.... but the BEC on a bagel in downtown Clemson was better

Reaction Score
my daughter and I stopped in Charlottesville on the way home from the UConn/Clemson FB game this fall....UVA had just played ND so the campus was buzzing on a Sunday morning... Bodo's was a mob scene so we stopped in.

The bagel itself was fine.. not special. The Egg Sandwich overall....poor

Cool vibe, fun place.... but the BEC on a bagel in downtown Clemson was better

I didn't have the heart to tell him he's wrong.

Reaction Score
Stop at Miller's for a drink, the birthplace of the Dave Matthews Band.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Glad to hear it! It's really impossible to have a bad meal at this restaurant.

So, from my experience, there are 3 sections to the restaurant. The dining room is what you see through the restaurant's front windows. You won't enter the restaurant through the "front door." You enter through the building's left side alleyway that leads to a side door. This way, if you sit in the dining room you're not constantly bombarded with patrons going in and out. I'd say the dining room has approximately 10-15 tables, but what really sets it apart (other than being in the front) is it's where the kitchen is located (open to patrons).

The middle of the restaurant is where the side door entryway takes you and is where the bar is located. Again, approximately 10ish tables and not as much natural light as the dining room. I've eaten in both these areas and couldn't recommend the dining room more (better lighting, feels more authentic with the kitchen, little more bustling restaurant vibe, etc.).

The "back dining" area is the one space I've never dined, so unfortunately, I can't provide any advice here. I assume it's a bit more private/quiet space for the restaurant, so unless you're part of a large party/private event, I'd still prefer the dining room.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip to C'Ville!
Thanks for this. Tavola was excellent. A highlight of the weekend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom