Charlotte Cancels Bid/Project For MLS Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charlotte Cancels Bid/Project For MLS Team

Reaction Score
IDK, but in-city SEA and ATL with easily MLS’ top attendance undermine some of the anti-big stadium arguments. Unlike the suburban, closer to Providence Revolution mismanaged by the Krafts, CLT would at least be smack in its’ rapidly growing city center, easily accessible by metro and highways, and surrounded by a massively growing youthful population (similar to SEA and ATL). That said, sure in-city, soccer specific stadiums are best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yay.....another soccer team in a cavernous football stadium....just stop MLS....unless they have a soccer specific stadium site secured and stadium in process of being built, you should not be qualified to have a MLS team. At this point, there really is no need for any more MLS teams so if you want to keep adding, at least add with some correct things

I really hope not.

Reaction Score

MLS teams in a NFL team should be the very rare exception (Seattle maybe Atlanta [need to see the long-term figures before being sold]) not the norm. Stadiums of between 20K and 30K in an urban location with easy access to mass transit seems or at least highways seems to be the winning mix.

Of course, building a successful MLS franchise today seems to be less about doing whats best for the team, its fans, and soccer in general and more about owner's ego (see Charlotte, which isn't even the best market in its own state for soccer (Raleigh/Durham has a deeper soccer culture) along with the expansion fees for current MLS owners.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Raleigh gonna be PISSED

Ok seriously, how many teams do they expect to actually have? The product already is sub par compared to European leagues. It has definitely made big strides in talent level but it still needs time to grow stronger. Adding more and more teams continues to dilute the product.

I know MLS just wants your money

Reaction Score
The product already is sub par compared to European leagues. It has definitely made big strides in talent level but it still needs time to grow stronger. Adding more and more teams continues to dilute the product.
While I’m no MLS lover nor an inexplicably over-the-top defender and more time is surely required for MLS to grow stronger, but which quantitative facts support your opinion adding more teams dilutes the product?

Has expansion truly diluted player quality, or just opened up opportunities for more non-US players with similar skill levels to prior MLS players? Or, is it possible average skill levels by team actually may have improved a little and there are just more teams; few of which have defeated Liga MC clubs?

Reaction Score
Ok seriously, how many teams do they expect to actually have? The product already is sub par compared to European leagues. It has definitely made big strides in talent level but it still needs time to grow stronger. Adding more and more teams continues to dilute the product.

I know MLS just wants your money

It’s a pyramid scheme now.

Reaction Score
While I’m no MLS lover nor an inexplicably over-the-top defender and more time is surely required for MLS to grow stronger, but which quantitative facts support your opinion adding more teams dilutes the product?

Has expansion truly diluted player quality, or just opened up opportunities for more non-US players with similar skill levels to prior MLS players? Or, is it possible average skill levels by team actually may have improved a little and there are just more teams; few of which have defeated Liga MC clubs?

It dilutes the quality because a certain number of players have to be American and there are only so many Americans good enough to add value to the league.

Reaction Score

Outside of the US, if a millionaire/billionaire wants a soccer team, that peson has to spend a huge amount money to buy a team alrady playing at the top level or slightly less money up front to buy a team at a lower level and then invest heavily to get the team promoted. Plus, no teams are added, which MAY dilute the overall product. In addition, the owners then have to continue to invest in their team in terms of players, coaches, practice facilities, and stadium amenities (to attract fans and revenue) to stay at the top level or risk being demoted any by-passed by a rival rich guy. That competitive environment creates a better product on the field as both the top level (protect one's investment) and the next level down (improve their investment).

In MLS, there is no competition and the discrepancy over the yeas has been evident on the pitch. Once the rich guy pays the bride to current MLS owners for the right to play in their sandbox followed by an attempt to get someone else to pay for their stadium, i.e. taxpayers with Audi field in DC, or they simply improve the ROI on their existing stadium even if it makes no sense to play soccer games their (NYCFC), their is no incentive for the owner to make further investments in their teams (hey Bob Kraft, how are those Revs doing!).

Reaction Score
It dilutes the quality because a certain number of players have to be American and there are only so many Americans good enough to add value to the league.
Reasonable, direct response. Or, Canadian and the same applies. Thanks

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I feel like the product is diluted because there are only so many good to decent players around for teams to have. The more teams, the more the players get spread out so the rosters are thin of quality or decent players. The non US players you mentioned are lower tier Central or Southern American players. Or it's a spot for aging European stars to play out their twilight years.

Fewer teams would result in more competitive rosters and more competitive teams. This could bolster more interest in MLS because the product on the field would be vastly improved. Right now, I feel that there aren't enough good players to allow all the MLS teams to field solid rosters. Add another 2-4 teams, and it's even worse.

I know pro/rel never will happen but this is a problem for MLS and I truly believe it impacts the quality on the pitch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom