Charlie Strong to USF? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charlie Strong to USF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
7 wins shouldn't be the ceiling in this league at this stage of his tenure. 4 wins shouldn't be the average under any circumstances.

It's not like we had scholarship penalties or have a stud recruiting class to make the case that this could still work out.

His way doesn't work. It certainly doesn't work here. The lies, the losses, the stupid calls, and all the excuses to defend them don't work here. Have they ever worked anywhere.

To keep him is to say we are not serious about this and we don't have a plan. We have no starting QB, a new OL, new ST guys, and a bunch of new guys on D. Now is the perfect time to make a change or ruin what potential talent is still there. If we have 5 guys over 300lbs, why can't we run a lick? Coaching is the only answer.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Diaco
will
not
be
coaching
next
year.
But
UConn
will
pay
him
as
though
he
was
a
coach,
anyway.

Reaction Score
What does this mean? Are you saying UConn fans who protest the retention of this miserable coaching staff should seek fandom elsewhere?
It's already happening. My sister is a Wesleyan grad. We got Andrus Field. :D

Beep Diaco!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So
Will
I

Connecticut
College
Alternatives
For
Those
Who
Don't

Yale
Sacred Heart
CCSU
SCSU
ECSU
WCSC
New Haven
Wesleyan
ECSU doesn't play football. Beautiful baseball stadium though. Absolutely puts JO Christian up 195 to shame.

Reaction Score
Randy Shannon would actually be on my list for UConn.

Strong is perfect for USF - it would
be better than even money he takes them to a NY6 bowl.

Strong at USF would make them very dangerous.

Reaction Score
I think this viewpoint is a bit extreme. It was stunning that UL hired him? He was a VERY successful DC at UF for years. It was surprising to Gator fans that he wasn't hired sooner. The only thing "stunning" was that he had to wait so long to be a head coach.

But...I do think it is a fair point to question how good of a HC he is until he is successful with Bridgewater. I think UConn fans are skeptical (fairly) because we saw a below average UConn team beat a supposedly much better UL team....at Louisville.

He inherited a dumpster fire on wheels went he started at Lap Dance U. Of course his first few seasons were mixed. He cleaned house, found his QB and the rest is history.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
So
Will
I

Connecticut
College
Alternatives
For
Those
Who
Don't

Yale
Sacred Heart
CCSU
SCSU
ECSU
WCSC
New Haven
Wesleyan

Hey dont sleep on THE UNH football, GO CHARGERS!!!!!

Reaction Score
Has a coach, who moves up, ever not had a very good to great QB?

So what position have we lacked a star at for over 10 years?

A few coaches have proven to be less than stellar after leaving for that proverbial step up, without that stud signal caller.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Has a coach, who moves up, ever not had a very good to great QB?

So what position have we lacked a star at for over 10 years?

A few coaches have proven to be less than stellar after leaving for that proverbial step up, without that stud signal caller.

Randy Edsall?

Reaction Score
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel
Source: Charlie Strong expected to be next coach at South Florida. Sides closing in on a 5-year contract.
Source: USF to hire Charlie Strong as head football coach

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 4 mins ago
Charlie Strong told @ClowESPN Sunday he "remains in conversations" with USF but "that no deal has been reached"

LOL

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN2 mins ago
Former Texas coach Charlie Strong has agreed to deal to become USF’s coach, sources told@ClowESPN

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great. But we can't hire him because he's too expensive. USF just leapfrogged us on the P5 candidate list.

Reaction Score
Great. But we can't hire him because he's too expensive. USF just leapfrogged us on the P5 candidate list.

Dooley - I get that everything UConn Football is toxic to you right now but humor me...

Even if there was an opening in Storrs, why would Charlie Strong take UConn over the other current "known" options available to him this year (USF w/ prior Florida experience and recruiting base/Oregon DC)? There has to be mutual interest.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There is no list, it was thrown on the fire by the B12 after their decision.

Reaction Score
I will cheer the Boys on for the sake of the kids and the School, but I will not reward incompetence and the attitude that takes the fan base as a cash machine for granted. They will not see another voluntary dollar from me until things change. This gravy train reached the end of the line.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley - I get that everything UConn Football is toxic to you right now but humor me...

Even if there was an opening in Storrs, why would Charlie Strong take UConn over the other current "known" options available to him this year (USF w/ prior Florida experience and recruiting base/Oregon DC)? There has to be mutual interest.

I'll humor you. We have a $72M AD budget. Posters here claimed we couldn't hire him because we couldn't afford him. That may be true. However, it's incredibly difficult to stomach watching UConn (with a $72M budget) not find the money to bring in a big name coach but USF (with an AD budget about $20M less than ours) can.

If we can't pay someone $3M/yr to come coach here because "nobody wants to come here", then why would anyone want to pay money for tickets? Seriously. If nobody wants to come to UConn (coaches or players), what incentive is there for fans/alumni to come to the Rent? At some point, we need to put our New York Yankee-esque G5 payroll to better use, bite the necessary financial bullets, and take an "all-in" shot at rebuilding our football program back to a conference contender. If it doesn't work, then we will always have options 5-10 years from now to move basketball into better conferences...even as a standalone.

UConn Football is toxic to me right now because it is quite literally the only anchor keeping UConn out of a P5 and we are doing absolutely nothing about it. Fix football and we fix UConn. I believe in that with 100% of my bleeding blue heart.

Reaction Score
I'll humor you. We have a $72M AD budget. Posters here claimed we couldn't hire him because we couldn't afford him. That may be true. However, it's incredibly difficult to stomach watching UConn (with a $72M budget) not find the money to bring in a big name coach but USF (with an AD budget about $20M less than ours) can.

If we can't pay someone $3M/yr to come coach here because "nobody wants to come here", then why would anyone want to pay money for tickets? Seriously. If nobody wants to come to UConn (coaches or players), what incentive is there for fans/alumni to come to the Rent? At some point, we need to put our New York Yankee-esque G5 payroll to better use, bite the necessary financial bullets, and take an "all-in" shot at rebuilding our football program back to a conference contender. If it doesn't work, then we will always have options 5-10 years from now to move basketball into better conferences...even as a standalone.

UConn Football is toxic to me right now because it is quite literally the only anchor keeping UConn out of a P5 and we are doing absolutely nothing about it. Fix football and we fix UConn. I believe in that with 100% of my bleeding blue heart.

A lot of people on here talking about what we can/can't afford probably can't balance their own checking accounts (that's not pointed @ you).

As you know, it's not just the salary for the new coach that attracts candidates to a school. My point is/was why in this specific instance, at this point in time, would Strong choose UConn over HC @USF or DC @Oregon. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom