Charlie Strong and Ed Orgeron | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charlie Strong and Ed Orgeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That's a stereotypical assumption that's compeletly Bulls**t! That man has one of the best reputations in college football!
I believe Strong brought in one of the shadiest recruiters known to mankind at UL, who eventually had to removed. Strong without Teddy Bridgewater has very little on his head coaching resume.

Reaction Score
I disagree about Eddie O Tom. He hasn't had a legit HC job since he was fired at Ol' Miss. He has been a interim HC at USC and now LSU with no other offers after those seasons. A legit job offer may be enough to tempt him...especially if he could turn this place around and parlay it to a bigger job. He was on P'a staff at Syracuse so he has worked in the northeast.
Wonder if A.D. Benedict still has any viable back channel connections to Auburn. OC/QB coach Rhett Lashlee could be worth taking a look at.

Reaction Score
Ya mean like Tom Herman, Matt Rhule, Justin Fuente, or Pat Narduzzi as recent examples?;) Not having been a head coach before shouldn't be a disqualifying résumé hole - we just apparently crapped out out on our roll.
We crapped out on Diaco so far. First and foremost our D was never the biggest concern of our team. We should've looked for an offensive coach. Back when we blindly hired a coach past his prime in Coach P.

Reaction Score
That's a stereotypical assumption that's compeletly Bulls**t! That man has one of the best reputations in college football!
Fairly confident there's nothing stereotypical about SEC recruiting albeit good PR may apply more than scum bag for Strong. Beyond that, we'll have to agree to disagree regarding delusions of impeccability, implicit denials of typically delegated SEC bag men, holier than thou images, bleach clean recruiting at UF, Louisville, etc. Fair enough, Ogeron's been viewed as dirtier everywhere's he's ventured.

Reaction Score
Fairly confident there's nothing stereotypical about SEC recruiting albeit good PR may apply more than scum bag for Strong. Beyond that, we'll have to agree to disagree regarding delusions of impeccability, implicit denials of typically delegated SEC bag men, holier than thou images, bleach clean recruiting at UF, Louisville, etc. Fair enough, Ogeron's been viewed as dirtier everywhere's he's ventured.
I have no illusions about SEC recruiting...or B1G recruiting...PAC12 recruiting..or even ACC recruiting...heck I remember the days of the SWC and Big 8! I'm a South Carolina gamecock fan as well as a UCon fan...been following college football for longer than I can remember and have had several people I have met recount personal recruiting stories. But calling a guy a scumbag when he has never been given a show clause is a bit out of line.

Reaction Score
Can we please stop asking for retread failures ? We keep asking for guys who have failed at jobs that have far more resources, history, and top recruits available to them. Why not bring in Paul Pasqualoni ??? I hear he's available. He's a failure from a "name" school. Is that exciting ???

We already freaking tried this you guys.

We need:
New guy.
Offense guy.
Exciting guy.
Guy who hasn't been fired.
Guy who has proved that he can succeed at a lower level (because undoubtedly, right now, that's what we are).
Guy who can win with 2-3 star recruits (because that's what we get...for now).
Guy who can win in an area where CFB isn't religion (because until we make the right choice, it won't be here).
Guy who's coaching makes up for deficiencies in "star rated" talent. X & O guy.
North Dakota State???

Reaction Score
But calling a guy a scumbag when he has never been given a show clause is a bit out of line.
Again, beauty's in the eyes of the painter, PR image maker, critic, or beholder. In relative terms, Strong may not be a typical scum bag yet others I know well with SEC and recent ACC coaching and administrative experience convey he's not the angelic figure publicly portrayed or believed by many people. We'll agree to hold different insights.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This board is very funny. No one wants a "retread" coach because they're washed up or proven their worthless (the PP route). Yet you then have the we don't want an unproven head coach coordinator crowd (the BD route). Top that all off with people who then clamour for Moorehead or Weist who have not been a HC at the FBS level or have not been a HC for a full season where they had to do all the recuiting etc....

So what is it folks? If a coach is successful at a G5 school, they aren't coming here. No P5 coach is leaving voluntarily to come to us. It's either a retread who spent some time as a coordinator since their failed HC stint or an unproven head coach who is a successful coordinator . Nick Saban ain't walking through that door.
Personally I am in the faction that just wants a coach who will win. ;) ;)

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Again, beauty's in the eyes of the painter, PR image maker, critic, or beholder. In relative terms, Strong may not be a typical scum bag yet others I know well with SEC and recent ACC coaching and administrative experience convey he's not the angelic figure publicly portrayed or believed by many people. We'll agree to hold different insights.

Would you be for hiring Jim tressel?

Reaction Score
Wonder if A.D. Benedict still has any viable back channel connections to Auburn. OC/QB coach Rhett Lashlee could be worth taking a look at.

Welcome to the Boneyard Mr Benedict!

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Orgeron is an awful coach. Pass.

His stint at Ole Miss was a colossal failure.

Maybe the dumbest post I've seen on this forum. We wouldn't even make his top 50. I still think LSU is going to hire him. They are a top 15 team in the country right now and the only team whos' come close to competing with Bama.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So are most coaches at Ol Miss. They'll never consistently beat LSU, FLORIDA, let alone, AUBURN or ALABAMA consistently. He'd be a MAJOR upgrade from what we have right now.

Freeze has beaten Bama 2 out of the last 3 years.

I think coach O would be an excellent assistant head coach and we know he can recruit.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
As Tressel or his equivalents would never be considered in Storrs, you've inexplicably posed an irrelevant question.

Neither are Strong and orgeron, but you have opinions to share on them. This is a message board and it is a question about you personally. If you'd say you would never consider Tressel because he is dirty and slimy, fine. I am just trying to understand your thought process.

Diaco is squeaky clean. Orgeron and Strong have never had a single NCAA violation against them. What is so slimy about them that you wouldn't want either, when both would be a tremendous upgrade over the current situation?

Orgeron is staying at LSU anyway, so this is all just conversation.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This seems to be the type of mindset that keeps us from getting a head coach that can provide a turnaround this program needs. More immediate. But we always take the experimental route. You know the kind of Coach that never was an actual head coach before, or a coach past their prime. Enough.
Right, it's the "mindset" of UConn, not you know, the fact that a) we don't have the kind of money to get a top level P5, sure-fire coach b) those types of coaches probably have zero interest in building a program at a non-P5 school in New England.

We're stuck with either retreads or unproven coordinators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom