Charlie Creme reseeds Sweet 16 | The Boneyard

Charlie Creme reseeds Sweet 16

Reaction Score
My take on Creme’s latest ‘reseed’...I think he’s nuts. He still has Stanford #1 with UConn, South Carolina, Baylor, Maryland, N.C. State, and Louisville at 2-8 in that order.

My view is that three teams have established themselves as the class of the tournament so far; in no particular order, Baylor, UConn and Maryland. Stanford, South Carolina, N.C. State, A&m and Louisville are a clear full tier below. The remaining 8 are another level down from there. It will be shocking if one of the three doesn’t win the tourney. Baylor has size, power and defense and can score, Maryland isn’t a great defensive team, but they score,,,a lot...It’s hard to see anyone keeping them under 75-80 points. UConn, of the three, is more of a finesse team, with terrific team defense, but doesnt have the on-ball defenders that Baylor has. Some of the AP/Coaches Poll favorites from mid season, Louisville, N.C. State, South Carolina, and A&M have shown themselves to be 2nd tier in this tournament...that’s my $.02.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
What is the point of all these hypothetical "reseedings?" The tourney is underway and will be a memory in ten days.
I believe it gives the gamblers something to chew on, especially on the men's side.

Reaction Score
I don't get the constant complaints about Creme (and, less often, Voepel). I see them here and on the Louisville boards.

We WBB fans should be glad that ESPN gives WBB the web presence that it does. Whether or not we agree with what they say. Just maybe some casual sports fans who hit the ESPN site will read about Bueckers or Clark or UConn or Stanford (to name just a few players/teams) and give WBB a try.

WBB needs all the publicity that it can get.

Reaction Score
I don't get the constant complaints about Creme (and, less often, Voepel). I see them here and on the Louisville boards.

We WBB fans should be glad that ESPN gives WBB the web presence that they do. Whether or not we agree with what they say. Just maybe some casual sports fans who hit the ESPN site will read about Bueckers or Clark or UConn or Stanford (to name just a few players/teams) and give WBB a try.

+1

Reaction Score
Maryland has looked like a buzz saw. The way they just pile up points reminds me of UConn during the Stewie years when they were putting up 100+ points in Sweet Sixteen games.
Again..so far..things can change...
Black Lives Matter Change GIF by INTO ACTION

Reaction Score
What is the point of all these hypothetical "reseedings?" The tourney is underway and will be a memory in ten days.
It’s all media-created meaningless nonsense... just like the ESPN football guy who tells us who is going be be drafted in 2024. It’s supposed to keep us interested somehow. A chimpanzee could reseed the Sweet Sixteen and come as close as anyone else.

Reaction Score

We WBB fans should be glad that ESPN gives WBB the web presence that it does. Whether or not we agree with what they say. Just maybe some casual sports fans who hit the ESPN site will read about Bueckers or Clark or UConn or Stanford (to name just a few players/teams) and give WBB a try.

I hope that’s not a reference to my original post, because I most certainly was not complaining about Creme...I think he does a pretty good job. I just happen to disagree with his ranking of the teams.

Reaction Score
I hope that’s not a reference to my original post, because I most certainly was not complaining about Creme...I think he does a pretty good job. I just happen to disagree with his ranking of the teams.
No complaints about your original post. I've got no complaint with anyone who disagrees with something said by a writer or broadcaster. It's all about opinion, after all. I don't understand the "Get rid of Creme, he has no business being on ESPN" comments. As I said earlier, it's good for WBB that he's there.

Reaction Score
No complaints about your original post. I've got no complaint with anyone who disagrees with something said by a writer or broadcaster. It's all about opinion, after all. I don't understand the "Get rid of Creme, he has no business being on ESPN" comments. As I said earlier, it's good for WBB that he's there.
I think most of the complaints I’ve seen about Creme over the years, at least on the BY, are because people misunderstand his Bracetology. They incorrectly believe that he’s expressing his own views on the brackets, when, in fact, all he’s ever tried to do was try to guess what the committee will do, and he actually does pretty well at that.

Having said that, I would mention, in the interest of full disclosure, that I have no interest whatsoever in anything that Voepel has to say About basketball.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Think you’re underestimating Stanford. Haven’t won by 50 but haven’t been in danger either. Not sure we’ve seen A game from them yet. And don’t think they’ll get a major challenge in next 2 games.

Reaction Score
It’s all media-created meaningless nonsense... just like the ESPN football guy who tells us who is going be be drafted in 2024. It’s supposed to keep us interested somehow. A chimpanzee could reseed the Sweet Sixteen and come as close as anyone else.
You called?
1616686440803.png

Reaction Score
I've watched most of the games and hate to say it but the best team I've seen so far is Baylor..note I say so far..
they've looked so dominant in every area. i'm not really sure what edge of uconn's I see over baylor (just on eye test, there are probably stats that are favorable); but with baylor, they definitely aren't slow starters, which has become trade mark uconn

Reaction Score
they've looked so dominant in every area. i'm not really sure what edge of uconn's I see over baylor (just on eye test, there are probably stats that are favorable); but with baylor, they definitely aren't slow starters, which has become trade mark uconn
And its not a team with just 1 great player to stop like Iowa..they have several...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Think you’re underestimating Stanford. Haven’t won by 50 but haven’t been in danger either. Not sure we’ve seen A game from them yet. And don’t think they’ll get a major challenge in next 2 games.
They generally play more of their players, often using 10 players. They don't wait to be up by 40 to use the 8,9&10th players. Unlike Piath and Saylor getting 2 minutes for UCONN in the 2 recent blowouts.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree - any publicity is good publicity. And anything that causes controversy and discussion and argument (that doesn't involve: refs; clock keepers; and NCAA idiots) is positive.

So complaining about complaining threads like this is actually bad for WCBB! So lets have at it!!:confused: :eek: :cool:

Charlie (and the committee) are lost in ancient times and have failed to evolve with the changing fortunes of WCBB. The SEC is a devilish tough conference: Pat (TN) and Andy (GA - I don't know how he can be coaching and doing his studio gig, he is just incredible) and Jim Foster (Van) and Sue Gunter (LSU) and Carol Ross (FL) and Gary Blair (Ark), Rick Moody (AL), and Van Chancellor (Miss) have made that conference a murderers row - it doesn't signify that none of them can win on each others home courts - that just proves what a strong conference it is. Heck we should just seed them all, I mean I wish we could seed the whole conference they are all so deserving.

And then reality hits, and as they watch the games they are confused that none of those coaches are actually on the sidelines, and their teams in fact have trouble finding the basket when they are not in their own gym, and the GA that lost 6 games and TN that lost 7 games and the KY and ARK that each lost 8 games were trying to tell everyone something; we are really inconsistent and not all that good. And teams that beat us are not necessarily that good either. Even TA&M's best road wins this year weren't very impressive, at TX and at ARK. The SEC unbalanced schedule meant that they only played KY, TN, SC, and UGA at home.

So 4 of the SEC teams 2 3 seeds and 2 4 seeds have gone home, and those strong wins by TA&M and SC are no longer as strong as they looked. TA&M struggled to win against a 15 seed and an admittedly dangerous 7 seed.

As for reading a whole lot into the other one and two seeds winning margins ... meh. Those are games that these teams are supposed to win, and generally win big. That Stanford lost focus in their second round game and coasted to an easy victory doesn't really signify to me. By the middle of the second quarter they had established a comfortable lead and OKSt never challenged from there.

More concerning is Louisville who have slept through a first quarter and a first half of basketball before starting to play basketball. Jeff's teams don't usually do that, and it does not bode well and should probably mean they move down in favor of teams that are playing better basketball. NCSt is down a significant starter Kayla Jones, who injured a patella tendon in the first round - that would also suggest a reseeding lower.

And you can't ignore the strength shown by the Big10 - from two teams in the original top 16, they have gone to 4 and they didn't exactly have trouble in their games. Meanwhile while the Big12 placed two teams in, the best wins on Baylor's resume were the three against WV which was pretty easily handled by a ACC team.

What a long post!
My reseed (I think the top four are really close to a pick em)
1/2 Uconn/Stanford (pick em)
3 Maryland
4 Baylor
5 SC
6 IU
7 MIchSt
8/9 NC St/Louisville
10 Iowa
11 AZ
12 Oregon
13 GATech
14 TX
15 Missouri St
16 TA&M

The biggest debate seems to be between Maryland and Baylor and I just think the strength being displayed by the Big10 in the first two rounds pushes MD's conference record ahead of Baylor's - but it is almost a pick em as well. And while the Pac12 has added a team to the final 16, AZ struggled mightly to get there and I don't think should be rewarded by moving up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's kind of weird to speculate whether Stanford or anyone else for that matter has shown their "A" game yet if they haven't shown it ... could it be that what you've seen right along is actually their "A" game? To assume that there's a higher level when there's been nothing to suggest that there is another level seems to defy logic ..... Can we assume that "we haven't seen Lebron's "A" game after 17 years in the NBA .... I realize that's a silly exaggeration but it's hard for me to assume a team can play at a higher level when they've had numerous opportunities to display that higher level and haven't (or can't)

Reaction Score
Baylor is big, plays tough defense and has good players, but I’d say UConn’s most obvious edges are Guard play, speed of passes, cohesiveness of unit and turnovers

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think it's kind of weird to speculate whether Stanford or anyone else for that matter has shown their "A" game yet if they haven't shown it ... could it be that what you've seen right along is actually their "A" game? To assume that there's a higher level when there's been nothing to suggest that there is another level seems to defy logic ..... Can we assume that "we haven't seen Lebron's "A" game after 17 years in the NBA .... I realize that's a silly exaggeration but it's hard for me to assume a team can play at a higher level when they've had numerous opportunities to display that higher level and haven't (or can't)
You make a valid point, but I would add this caveat. Three point shooting can be hot or cold and that can influence outcomes. A defense can cut down on the amount taken, but has less impact on the accuracy. I would consider a team’s A game to include one of their higher three point percentage games. For UConn that would be around 50%. One of our poor games would include more like 25% accuracy.

In the 2002 title game UConn was 0-9 with three point attempts. No matter. That was such a dominant team that they did not need the A game that includes three point accuracy. This team does not have that luxury but, fortunately, neither do the other contenders. Granted, Baylor may be least affected by poor outside shooting (Maryland would be affected mightily), but if we were to have our A game of shooting 45+ % and Baylor shot less than 30% I think we win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom