Charleston, SC | The Boneyard

Charleston, SC

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Figured after seeing the thorough reviews Fishy got for Newark, I would pick the Boneyard's brains about Charleston, SC.

Headed there in a few weeks with the girlfriend.

Anyone been? Recommendations for things to do, restaurants...open to anything.

Thanks!

Reaction Score
Figured after seeing the thorough reviews Fishy got for Newark, I would pick the Boneyard's brains about Charleston, SC.

Thanks!
Definitely recommend doing a carriage tour, learn a lot about the great old city and the history.
As far as restaurants go:

Husk
Poogan's Porch
Pearlz

Reaction Score
Was down there visiting friends in April. Holy City Brewing in North Charleston was fun. Took the kids on the water taxi to see a few dolphins and the different attractions (aquarium was cool). The beaches are nice too (Sullivan's Island).

pj

Reaction Score
Bring a boat. Or a surf board.

59b6fb3a6e622.image.jpg

Reaction Score
Vendue Inn - The Rooftop bar is great
Poogan's Porch
Planters Inn

I've got a bunch of other stuff if the thread doesn't produce, but I'm sure it will.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Appreciate the ideas so far. I didn't realize the flooding was that bad in SC.

@Northbound I may PM you for some other ideas if you have more, really good stuff so far though.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

Thanks!

If you are a history buff Fort Sumpter is an interesting trip and requires a boat ride through the harbor.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Definitely recommend doing a carriage tour, learn a lot about the great old city and the history.
As far as restaurants go:

Husk
Poogan's Porch
Pearlz

Been to Husk twice -- very good and a cool place. (Get cocktails next door.) Fig might have been better.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Been to Husk twice -- very good and a cool place. (Get cocktails next door.) Fig might have been better.

If I don't go to Husk, I would be doing a disservice to my handle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love the city. Several great suggestions so far. Carriage tour is nice, but I also like walking near the Battery, and there are some house tours. Have not been to Ft. Sumpter, but visiting the U.S.S. Yorktown was cool.

Food is great everywhere. So much good food across the Lowcountry really.

Reaction Score
Burger at Husk. Do lunch as there are better places (agree with FIG above). Poogans Porch, Hominey Grill (nasty biscuit for brunch is my favorite meal there), The Grocery is really good too. Gin Joint for cocktails.

SNOB is highly rated but I didn't care for it and the cruise port area is really hit or miss. Bars are way more expensive it seems. Been 4 times so DM if need be.

Reaction Score
Love the city. Several great suggestions so far. Carriage tour is nice, but I also like walking near the Battery, and there are some house tours. Have not been to Ft. Sumpter, but visiting the U.S.S. Yorktown was cool.

Food is great everywhere. So much good food across the Lowcountry really.
Love the food down there, great part of the country.

Reaction Score
Lived there for 5 years ending 5 years ago and go back once every year. I should have way better recommendations than I actually do but I can vouch for some aforementioned spots. Husk and Fig are good recs for finer dining and the Roof at Vendue as well for drinks and a view. Charleston Grille too. The city has gentrified so fast and there are 100 new establishments I am unaware of, especially on Upper King Street but in general, Upper King is a way better option for a night out. Stay away from the Market area because it is super touristy, overpriced, and kinda lame in general. These are really the only 2 areas that have a nightlife and most of the restaurants.

The Battery is absolutely beautiful, basically anywhere south of Broad Street. If you are runners or like to bike, this is a great option. Or just take a stroll. This is what I miss most.

There are supposedly 2 new big time BBQ restaurants in the city, I believe one of them is from the Franklin's guy near Austin.

Sullivan's Island is a way better beach option than Folley Beach. Poes has the best burgers in my opinion and is on Sullivan's. I do love fine dining but my area of expertise may be dive bars, which probably isn't your thing. I will try to rack my brain more.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
One of my alltime favorite places - it is the ideal southern city
Carriage ride is worth it
The Battery is a great place to stroll
The restaurants are great - Husk, Pearlz, Poogan's

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love the food down there, great part of the country.

Yeah, my folks have lived near Beaufort for over 20 years now. Shrimp off the boat, all kinds of good stuff.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Definitely make your way out to Sullivan's Island for an afternoon. There is a little grocery store called the Co-op. Their sandwiches might be the best I've ever had.

Reaction Score
Burger at Husk. Do lunch as there are better places (agree with FIG above). Poogans Porch, Hominey Grill (nasty biscuit for brunch is my favorite meal there), The Grocery is really good too. Gin Joint for cocktails.

SNOB is highly rated but I didn't care for it and the cruise port area is really hit or miss. Bars are way more expensive it seems. Been 4 times so DM if need be.

Also, 167 raw is great too. Some of the best fish tacos I'd ever had. Nantucket Transplants.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

Thanks!

If you want fine dining in a quiter more traditional atmosphere try 1886 House,
Circa 1886 | Fine Dining Restaurant Charleston SC Pricey and upscale.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I second Hominy Grill for brunch and Gin Joint for cocktails.

Reaction Score
Lived there for 5 years ending 5 years ago and go back once every year. I should have way better recommendations than I actually do but I can vouch for some aforementioned spots. Husk and Fig are good recs for finer dining and the Roof at Vendue as well for drinks and a view. Charleston Grille too. The city has gentrified so fast and there are 100 new establishments I am unaware of, especially on Upper King Street but in general, Upper King is a way better option for a night out. Stay away from the Market area because it is super touristy, overpriced, and kinda lame in general. These are really the only 2 areas that have a nightlife and most of the restaurants.

The Battery is absolutely beautiful, basically anywhere south of Broad Street. If you are runners or like to bike, this is a great option. Or just take a stroll. This is what I miss most.

There are supposedly 2 new big time BBQ restaurants in the city, I believe one of them is from the Franklin's guy near Austin.

Sullivan's Island is a way better beach option than Folley Beach. Poes has the best burgers in my opinion and is on Sullivan's. I do love fine dining but my area of expertise may be dive bars, which probably isn't your thing. I will try to rack my brain more.
John Lewis, most notably of Austin's La Barbecue, has brought Tx style Q to the lowlands. His meat in Austin was equal to Franklin's. Now branching out to tex-mex.
Pitmaster John Lewis Brings Tex-Mex to Charleston

Reaction Score
All great suggestions here... Charleston has really evolved and become a destination for incredible food and culture

I'll throw in my 2c and suggest taking a sailboat around the harbor... its a great way to see the city and spend some time on the water... Ive used these guys a few times and highly recommend Book your sailing charter at Charleston Sailing Charters

they also offer ghost and historical tours downtown depending on your tastes... youll find info downtown near the market

Reaction Score

Thanks!

Thanks!
If you are flying in and staying downtown, you will not need a car. Everything is walkable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom