Charleston Classic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charleston Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
negative me: This is the most meh exempt event I can ever remember UConn being in. Miami! Buffalo! Xavier! In a CAA gym! Don't mention Florida, its very unlikely UConn will play them since they play in CT next year.

positive me: its a great town to visit and if you go you will have a good time, especially if you bring the clubs

I suggest not being a curmudgeon and going.

Uh, have you watched Buffalo?

Reaction Score
Is Charleston not a good Uber/Lyft city?

I have family that lives about 25 miles north of Charleston so I’ll be staying with them. Therefore a car is necessary. Anyone ever make the drive from CT to SC? How was it?

Reaction Score
I have family that lives about 25 miles north of Charleston so I’ll be staying with them. Therefore a car is necessary. Anyone ever make the drive from CT to SC? How was it?
I took that trip for college spring break and its a long drive for sure. Issue was never getting down there - more driving back after days of drinking.

It’s less than 2hrs in the air from NYC with a ton of direct flights daily. Also, don’t need a car once in downtown Charleston and plenty of economic lodging options in the city

Reaction Score
Probably easier to rent a car once your there

Reaction Score
I took that trip for college spring break and its a long drive for sure. Issue was never getting down there - more driving back after days of drinking.

It’s less than 2hrs in the air from NYC with a ton of direct flights daily. Also, don’t need a car once in downtown Charleston and plenty of economic lodging options in the city

Welp, I’m a non-drinker so that wouldn’t be a problem for me haha. Just gotta decide if it’s worth $500-600 to avoid a 13 hour drive.

Reaction Score
The wife and I will be there. I will drive from Windsor. We both love to drive and she would rather not fly. We drove to SC last summer on way to FL and then New Orleans. Drive was no problem with our supply of Red Bull.

Reaction Score
Team Boneyard

As we look forward to next year, it would be awesome to get a great showing for a very winnable Charleston Classic Preseason Tourney

I’ve been taking trips to Charleston 3-4x per year for business for a while now. In the process, have gotten to know the area and it’s an easy 2hr, $200 flight from NYC.

I’ve been negotiating with Big Gun Burger Bar to host us as the official locale of UConn hoops for the weekend. Big Gun is across the street from the Dewberry, walking distance to the arena, and right near King Street. Gauging the pulse and interest of Husky Nation and seeing if we’ll get a good crew down there.

Getting back to March Madness begins with Charleston next year!!!
We are planning to head down, with a group of 8. Keep us posted on what you work out. We would definitely be in.

Reaction Score
About 10 times. It’s long, but not terrible. It takes about 13-15 hours depending on how many stops you have to make. I try to only make 3 stops.

Reaction Score
I just moved from West Hartford to Charleston this past June. I'll be at the games!!!
I lived there for three years. It was the most fun I’ve had in my life. Enjoy your time there.

Reactions: RON
Reaction Score
Would love to go.

Spent a few minutes looking at how Xavier will look next season. Their top-4 scorers are back, their transfer Jason Carter from Ohio (17p, 7r) will be a plug in starter at the 4 and they have a top-20 freshman class to round up the depth.

Reaction Score

We used to do the 960 mile trip from West Springfield to Bluffton (about two hours south of Charleston) in 14-15 hours on a normal day but if you hit DC after 2:00 pm or so you take a big hit with traffic. Our gps always wants us to go east around DC but we've learned it's best to go west on 495. Charleston ought to be an hour shorter and is an easy trip if you like to drive and listen to SiriusXM. Did the trip one time only listening to the Pink Floyd channel when it existed. Testing my stamina.

Best time from CT was from Westbrook on a Monday morning in October of 2017. Left at 8:30 to avoid the I-95 congestion around New Haven (it was cleared up by then) and did the 920 miles in 13.5 hours (and again, Charleston ought to be an hour shorter). Only two stops for gas and other necessities and kept the cruise control at 2 mph under the limit. We bring food so there's no fooling around waiting in fast food restaurants and we eat while driving. Why waste time relaxing? Gas prices are not bad once you're south of NJ. Best in MD and SC, but NC and VA not bad.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting to make the trip to the Charleston. With my mom living here in Atlanta with me now there wasn't a reason to go up to CT last year to see UCONN play. I did see them the year before when they played in Auburn. I was so upset with that game and yelling that KO needed to be fired. Hopefully this tournament will turn out better, LOL!

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We used to do the 960 mile trip from West Springfield to Bluffton (about two hours south of Charleston) in 14-15 hours on a normal day but if you hit DC after 2:00 pm or so you take a big hit with traffic. Our gps always wants us to go east around DC but we've learned it's best to go west on 495. Charleston ought to be an hour shorter and is an easy trip if you like to drive and listen to SiriusXM. Did the trip one time only listening to the Pink Floyd channel when it existed. Testing my stamina.

Best time from CT was from Westbrook on a Monday morning in October of 2017. Left at 8:30 to avoid the I-95 congestion around New Haven (it was cleared up by then) and did the 920 miles in 13.5 hours (and again, Charleston ought to be an hour shorter). Only two stops for gas and other necessities and kept the cruise control at 2 mph under the limit. We bring food so there's no fooling around waiting in fast food restaurants and we eat while driving. Why waste time relaxing? Gas prices are not bad once you're south of NJ. Best in MD and SC, but NC and VA not bad.

I do that often going to Orlando
Leave CT at 4 am Saturday morning straight to Florence in about 12.5/13 hrs. Cheap Hotel (Best western) in Florence at 5 ish pm, Dinner in the hotel parking lot, (always a dilemma between Cracker Barrel and Waffle House, I always choose Waffle house, sometimes wife wins and gets us to C barrel) , in bed about 9 ish up at 6 for breakfast and the 6 hours or so to Orlando. Im by the Boardwalk pool swilling drinks at Leaping Horse Libations at 1 Pm sunday and halfway polluted by the time my room is ready at 3 ish. Perfect drive timings. Been doing that same trip for about 20 years. So easy. Only crap part of trip is South of DC into Virginia. I mitigate it by hitting it before noon on a Saturday and it still sucks hard. Hate it. NEVER not crappy Traffic between DC and Richmond going south unless you hit it at 2AM.

Dont mind driving at all and will be driving for this tourney, think Im going to leave a few days before and use DVC points at the Hilton Head resort and do a day or two in Savannah (great Ferry from HH to Savannnah) and then head to Charleston on Thursday and stay there through the weekend.

I like Charleston and dont mind that it isnt a killer touney lineup. Maybe we can actually win a game or two!

Reaction Score
I make the drive from NJ to FL 2x per year so not that far off. It’s an easy drive except for the big city (nyc dc) traffic so try to time your trip to minimize rush hours there. Also DON’T GO OVER 81 IN VA. It’s a reckless driving charge not just a speeding ticket!! And they don’t care about writing those tickets. My nephew is a st trooper and one of his buddies. Got a ticket in VA

Reaction Score
Me and the wife are planning to be there. Week before thanksgiving works really well. Looking forward to a fun start to the season!

Reaction Score
This is shaping up to be a really good tournament as UConn is smack dab in the middle of the competition.

#1 Florida: Adding Blackshear to the group solidifies the Gators as the top team in the bracket. In addition to Blackshear, Florida has a lot of exciting young talent led by Nembhard, Lewis, Locke, Johnson, Payne and Mann.

#2 Xavier: More excitement now with getting a chance to play our future conference mates. Top-4 scorers returning led by Marshall, Jones, Scruggs and Goodin, a top 25 recruiting class and two good grad transfers in Jason Carter from Ohio (who is projected to start) and Bryce Moore.

#3 Miami: A bit of a rebuilding year for Miami, but amongst their returning players Chris Lykes and Dejan Vasiljevic are the team's leaders. Former Sooner Kameron McGusty is a very good transfer and the team has a top 30 recruiting class led by Harlond Beverly and Isaiah Wong.

#4: UConn: The good guys!

#5: Missouri State: A lot of peoples' pick to win the MVC this year namely because of the great transfer class they brought in. Most recognizable is Lamont West, but Anthony Masinton-Bonner was an 11.2 ppg scorer for Colorado State and Josh Hall averaged 7p/4r for Nevada. In addition to this trio, two of their top three scorers (Da Silva and Cook) return.

#6: Buffalo: A rebuilding year with no more Nate Oats, CJ Massinburg, Nick Perkins or Jeremy Harris, but they return starting PG Davonta Jordan, hard-nosed guard Jayvon Graves and transfer Antwain Johnson was a 10.3 ppg scorer at MTSU. Also curious to see how Jeenathan Williams, the school's first and only four-star recruit, steps up as a sophomore.

#7: Saint Joseph's: After a disastrous year in both PR and on the court, Billy Lange enters the season with his top three players leaving school early and only seven guys on scholarship. The team will be led by top returnee Taylor Funk and Delaware transfer Ryan Daly. Team will have a lot of size, but while the team is of interest for contextual and historical reasons, should be a another rough year on the court.

#8: Towson: Don't know much about the team, but their top four returning players are seniors and the team had a lot of freshmen playing key depth roles last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom