Charles Barkley on how it works in the SEC | The Boneyard

Charles Barkley on how it works in the SEC

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Considering what is going on with the FBI arresting coaches and shoe company agents, I not sure Nike appreciated Barkley's candor. He is talking about meeting a yong Dirk Nowitski (18-19) at a game with NBA players and some German ballers. It is funny but continue listening after the Dirk part about how people are taken care of in the SEC. If I posted this before, my apologies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would love to see the look on Mark Emmert's face when he sees this clip. I have to think the FBI sting this summer was only the tip of the ice berg. There is plenty of reason to believe that many athletes have been paid to play college sports, particularly football and men's hoops, going back decades. The fact that the NCAA bothers to issue sanctions occasionally is ludicrous. They investigated Auburn for a year after allegations came up regarding Cam Newton. They didn't find a single minor infraction. That was impossible for me to believe at the time. Here you have Barkley, who went to school at Auburn, telling it the way it is. The athletes are "taken care of." The NCAA and the notion of amateurism is a sham, and has been for a long time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would love to see the look on Mark Emmert's face when he sees this clip. I have to think the FBI sting this summer was only the tip of the ice berg. There is plenty of reason to believe that many athletes have been paid to play college sports, particularly football and men's hoops, going back decades. The fact that the NCAA bothers to issue sanctions occasionally is ludicrous. They investigated Auburn for a year after allegations came up regarding Cam Newton. They didn't find a single minor infraction. That was impossible for me to believe at the time. Here you have Barkley, who went to school at Auburn, telling it the way it is. The athletes are "taken care of." The NCAA and the notion of amateurism is a sham, and has been for a long time.
Considering what is going on with the FBI arresting coaches and shoe company agents, I not sure Nike appreciated Barkley's candor. He is talking about meeting a yong Dirk Nowitski (18-19) at a game with NBA players and some German ballers. It is funny but continue listening after the Dirk part about how people are taken care of in the SEC. If I posted this before, my apologies.

So how is any of this surprising? The future of WCBB if the number of dunkers increases.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have to wonder if Barkley knew a camera was rolling. He not only laughingly alludes to Auburn athletes being paid, he also admits to illegal recruiting on Auburn's behalf by himself.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I have to wonder if Barkley knew a camera was rolling. He not only laughingly alludes to Auburn athletes being paid, he also admits to illegal recruiting on Auburn's behalf by himself.
I wonder if Barkley cares.

JordyG

Reaction Score
6:01 TO and the camera shows 4 very unhappy looking UConn coaches. And up 33.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wonder if Barkley cares.

He might not ("I am not a role model"). Maybe even though he says it on camera it's only hearsay, or maybe there are statute of limitations on these kind of things, but it still seems pretty brazen. But like I noted in another thread the NCAA doesn't seem to care that much either. They selectively enforce their own rules occasionally to keep programs on their toes, but most of the time appear to be purposely looking the other way and seeing nothing.

Reaction Score
Yet the take away over 100 wins by Syracuse for supposed infractions dating to 2003. Statute of limitations? None of the players supposedly involved even play anymore. At the time the program was cleared. All because Boeheim had 1000 wins and someone didn't like it. And yes I live 60 miles from Syracuse. Now what did NC get for fake courses...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, selective enforcement. USC got the hammer dropped on them because of Reggie Bush and an agent, which had nothing to do w/ USC. Some schools are allowed to use the "we didn't know" card and others aren't. Duke basketball is immune to any reprisals from the NCAA. Corey Maggette was paid by Myron Piggie before he stepped foot on campus, but Duke didn't receive even the slightest slap on the wrist. No wins were taken away, no $$ from NCAA Tourney games was taken away, because the NCAA determined "Duke didn't know." Lance Thomas went on a huge jewelry shopping spree w/ money nobody can account for, but again the NCAA determined "nothing to see here." I'm sure there are other examples.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom