Charde Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charde Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As I posted in another thread...

Charde was an All-Star in 2009, before the Lynx acquried Brunson.

Charde has had the same issues as she had in high school. She is not a great shooter when the offense is not designed to run through her or run plays for her. She has had bursts, but when she played her best was when she was more of the focal point of the offense. It is no coincidence that her best year was 2009, the year Augustus was injured (only playing six games) and the year before Whalen (trade) and Brunson (Sacto contraction) arrived. Wiggins basically ran the point (though Miller started most games and Montgomery started some, Wiggins was the main facilitiator). Anosike was the perfect complement to Charde, as Nicky knows how to play with other talented players around her, while being effective when the ball isn't in her hands (it is not accident Anosike led the team in steals, assists, rebounds, and points, when you take away Seimone's six games...amazing, given she was the center).

When more talented players arrived, Charde could not and did not adjust. She is only an average ballhandler at best, turning the ball over several times when she puts it on the floor. She basically has two go-two offensive moves that she uses over and over: a blindingly quick spin move that almost always frees her up for a drive or short shot; and a pull-up jumper from about 10 feet that she loves to take on the run.

She still needs to develop counter-moves...moves that she can use when her primary ones are taken away. She also needs to learn how to contribute when the ball isn't in her hands or when she isn't the focal point of the offense. She has not shown that she can do that. Her other problem is that she is basically a 5-11 power forward, the classic tweener (think LaQuanda Barksdale, Tracy Reid, etc.). She isn't big enough to play the four on a good team and isn't quick enough to play the three. So she is best suited coming off the bench, in terms of height. But her game needs to get there as well.

This is why Charde will put up great numbers on a bad team and bad numbers on a great team. Had she been on Tulsa, she might have put up 13 ppg. But until she learns these things set forth above, she is going to be on the bench for a good team...and toward the end of that bench.

The talent is there. The work in the offseason needs to be.​

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Some in Minny are writing her off already...

"CHARDE HOUSTON, F
The skinny: The former WNBA all-star fell deeper on the Lynx's roster, appearing in 27 games as a reserve, and not at all in seven games. Averaged 2.9 points and 1.7 rebounds a game, and shot just 36.5 percent from the field. That likely isn't enough to secure a spot on next season's team"

LINK

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
every team has players "on the bench"... replacing Charde doesnt solve much IMO, the next person will be on the bench as long as Seimone, Whalen, Maya, Brunson, Adair, Wiggins and Im going to throw in Monica Wright... Hornbuckle & Houston may be replaced but for what type of player.
Taj may be the only REAL void they need to fill IMO and is Amber Harris the one that can replace her?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
every team has players "on the bench"... replacing Charde doesnt solve much IMO, the next person will be on the bench as long as Seimone, Whalen, Maya, Brunson, Adair, Wiggins and Im going to throw in Monica Wright... Hornbuckle & Houston may be replaced but for what type of player.
Taj may be the only REAL void they need to fill IMO and is Amber Harris the one that can replace her?

I think (hope!) that Taj comes back next year, with somewhat reduced minutes so she can ease up a little at age 41 but still play. I think it's reasonable that the coaches challenge Amber next year to take the next step and be a bigger force. She has huge upside. This was her rookie campaign but by next year she will know the drill, and I would think she might also have some Euroball experience this winter. I like Minny's chances next year if Taj can come back and reduce her minutes, with increased in mins by Adair and Amber. Taj played 30 mins per game this year, Adair 12 and Amber 5. Adair is becoming a really good player and could easily go to 16-18 mins per game. Amber needs to be able to give 10-12 quality minutes next year. This could allow Taj to get closer to 20 mins per game to stay fresh and also give Brunson a couple less mins as needed.

It will be interesting to see how the lottery goes. This next year is not a very strong draft year but there will still be some good talent that Minny can take advantage of. I agree with you that Taj leaving would be the only CLEAR void that could need filling, but that they would fill that need from the bench. Otherwise, unless you trade the pick away for next year's draft, which is risky, you're going to get a player either directly from the draft or through a trade, so someone on your current bench would have to go. If Tulsa gets #1, they will probably take Nneka, but Minny could be still have players like Shenise Johnson, Dev Peters, and some other pretty good ones to choose from. Any of these would still be bench players obviously, just like Buck and Charde are now so it's not like you *want* to cut anybody, but what are you gonna do?
noidea.gif

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Minny now has the benefit, with the exception of Taj, of being a really young team. i'm not sure of the average age of the teams in the WNBA, but take Taj out of the mix and you really do have a lot of youth on Minny. Taj - 12 years in WNBA, Whalen and Brunson 7, Augustus 5, and the rest of the team 3 or less years experience.

my point is i think they are set up pretty good for the next 3-4 years. when Taj finally does decide to retire, you will certainly lose a lot of experience. as VA pointed out, hopefully Adair and Harris can step up and give more minutes.

next year should be pretty interesting - hopefully Washington is healthy and Tulsa improves, but i have a feeling Tulsa is going to be at the bottom for a while. next year's draft is particularly weak with the top players being kids like Nneka, Tiff, Shenise Johnson, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen, Riquina Williams, Kizer, Prahalis, Peters, etc. i think they are solid players - role players on any team, but IMHO no super stars.

VA is exactly right - depending on what they need and what's available when their draft pick comes, they could end up with a good solid back up to the core they have now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom