Channel Surfing in CA Tonight, and Came Across Lexi and Texas Tech | The Boneyard

Channel Surfing in CA Tonight, and Came Across Lexi and Texas Tech

Reaction Score
Came across Lexi and Texas Tech on TV. TT finally played a real (tho unranked) team. 2 pt game at the half, then Iowa State outscored TT 31 - 4 in the 3rd quarter! Final score: 96 - 56.
Some observations:
Lexi scored 18, including 3 for 4 from 3 pt land. She did most of her scoring in the first half. She hustled continuously, but still seems a bit out of shape. Might be why her production suffered in the second half. Still, I wish her good things.
Brittany Brewer, the national leader in blocked shots, had zero blocks. There's a big difference between blocking shots in games against RPI 200+ teams and genuine teams. She is definitely not a Liv.
I have no idea why this game was on TV in San Diego.... must be a Big 12 thing, which means maybe I'll see some Baylor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Came across Lexi and Texas Tech on TV. TT finally played a real (tho unranked) team. 2 pt game at the half, then Iowa State outscored TT 31 - 4 in the 3rd quarter! Final score: 96 - 56.
Some observations:
Lexi scored 18, including 3 for 4 from 3 pt land. She did most of her scoring in the first half. She hustled continuously, but still seems a bit out of shape. Might be why her production suffered in the second half. Still, I wish her good things.
Brittany Brewer, the national leader in blocked shots, had zero blocks. There's a big difference between blocking shots in games against RPI 200+ teams and genuine teams. She is definitely not a Liv.
I have no idea why this game was on TV in San Diego.... must be a Big 12 thing, which means maybe I'll see some Baylor.
Thanks for the update on both Lexi and Brewer. I am surprised that fitness is still an issue for Lexi. After 2 seasons at UConn when her conditioning was not up to expectations resulting in several minor injuries and limiting her opportunity to play, I had expected that she might change her approach somewhat. Obviously, she has the talent to play at this level.

Reaction Score
I also watched this game. Lexi played the majority of the game. In fact she was the Big 12 player of the week. But although she scored 18 points, she had a hard time on defense. As CT to San Diego said earlier, she seemed to be a step behind, especially in the second half. As I said in an earlier post, I really liked Lexi but I don't know how much she would be playing on this years team and next year her playing time would really be limited. Also I believe reality is going to set in for Texas Tech now that they have to play quality teams.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Their is a lot more info on this game in the General Women's section.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some observations:
I also watched this game. Lexi played the majority of the game. In fact she was the Big 12 player of the week. But although she scored 18 points, she had a hard time on defense. As CT to San Diego said earlier, she seemed to be a step behind, especially in the second half. As I said in an earlier post, I really liked Lexi but I don't know how much she would be playing on this years team and next year her playing time would really be limited. Also I believe reality is going to set in for Texas Tech now that they have to play quality teams.
I also caught the game and totally agree with both of you. I'm THRILLED for her that she found a good place closer to home where she can shine and play a lot. No idea how many minutes she'd be playing had she stayed. Fitness is definitely an issue for her, but at a place like TTU, it's super easy to "hide" it.

Reminds me a lot of Courtney Ekmark. Went to ASU, became a starter there and was able to shine with her stats, but her athleticism and fitness was never going to earn her lots of PT at UCONN.

I still thought Brewer looked good tho. Part of the reason she had no blocks is because Iowa State is such a perimeter oriented team (MADE 16 3-pointers), that they pulled her away from the basket on defense for much of the game.

Reaction Score
Some observations:
Thanks for this! Out of shape?? Is she over weight? Muscle mass lacking? Sometimes what even a coach or 3 have established as "out of shape" really is a medical condition that is momentarily relieved by pills. So maybe she is giving it all she has but a condition says----that all she gets. Apparently, condition or out of shape, she is making the most of her minutes. Good for her!!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the update on both Lexi and Brewer. I am surprised that fitness is still an issue for Lexi. After 2 seasons at UConn when her conditioning was not up to expectations resulting in several minor injuries and limiting her opportunity to play, I had expected that she might change her approach somewhat. Obviously, she has the talent to play at this level.
@oldude and @CT2SanDiego See my reply to Ct2Sandiego ---No disrespect intended just My Opinion. Condition or out of shape, I believe medical issue even while at Uconn she gives it all she has while she has it. She too is making the most of what she is allowed to give. Got to give her credit for what she does. I'm a Lexi fan and was at Uconn. Just because you can't see or make some condition better by running, practicing doesn't mean its malingering.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@oldude and @CT2SanDiego See my reply to Ct2Sandiego ---No disrespect intended just My Opinion. Condition or out of shape, I believe medical issue even while at Uconn she gives it all she has while she has it. She too is making the most of what she is allowed to give. Got to give her credit for what she does. I'm a Lexi fan and was at Uconn. Just because you can't see or make some condition better by running, practicing doesn't mean its malingering.
I always liked Lexi’s enthusiasm and in the few minutes of PT she got at UConn she always seemed to hustle on the court. But one of the areas within a player’s absolute control is their conditioning. As a freshman, Lexi’s fitness was behind the rest of the team. During the trip to Italy, Lexi had a muscle pull of some kind which lingered into the season, relegating her to the last player off the bench. I chalk that up to just not knowing what is required at the next level, particularly at UConn.

Lexi was not the first freshman to be surprised by the level of conditioning required to play at UConn, nor will she be the last. Even Crystal commented that she had no idea how hard it would be at UConn.

If I have any disappointment with Lexi’s time at UConn it was when she showed up as a Sophomore still not at the fitness level required to play for UConn WBB. I had honestly hoped and expected that Lexi would get herself in great shape and compete for PT last season.

Surely in his end of season meeting with Lexi after her freshman season, Geno had to tell her that she needed to get herself in better shape. He’s had that discussion with Steph, KML, Megan and others who have all responded positively. In Lexi’s case, her sophomore year was similar to her freshman season.

I recognize that it’s harder for some players to get themselves in top condition than others. Proper diet and exercise is a challenge that all of us face every day. But if you’re going to play basketball for Geno Auriemma there is no option to being in great shape.

I’m happy that Lexi found a school she can contribute at. It’s no fun sitting on the bench, even for the greatest program in the history of WBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always liked Lexi’s enthusiasm and in the few minutes of PT she got at UConn she always seemed to hustle on the court. But one of the areas within a player’s absolute control is their conditioning. As a freshman, Lexi’s fitness was behind the rest of the team. During the trip to Italy, Lexi had a muscle pull of some kind which lingered into the season, relegating her to the last player off the bench. I chalk that up to just not knowing what is required at the next level, particularly at UConn.

Lexi was not the first freshman to be surprised by the level of conditioning required to play at UConn, nor will she be the last. Even Crystal commented that she had no idea how hard it would be at UConn.

If I have any disappointment with Lexi’s time at UConn it was when she showed up as a Sophomore still not at the fitness level required to play for UConn WBB. I had honestly hoped and expected that Lexi would get herself in great shape and compete for PT last season.

Surely in his end of season meeting with Lexi after her freshman season, Geno had to tell her that she needed to get herself in better shape. He’s had that discussion with Steph, KML, Megan and others who have all responded positively. In Lexi’s case, her sophomore year was similar to her freshman season.

I recognize that it’s harder for some players to get themselves in top condition than others. Proper diet and exercise is a challenge that all of us face every day. But if you’re going to play basketball for Geno Auriemma there is no option to being in great shape.

I’m happy that Lexi found a school she can contribute at. It’s no fun sitting on the bench, even for the greatest program in the history of WBB.
I too wonder if the issues with Lexi were not more medical than physical and not conditioning related. Uconn had one or maybe more players that Geno never saw or understood how their Hypothryoidism showed itself.
Typically those with that condition have no outward signs and for most of what they do it not a problem. But when a player is expected tor run and run and run it shows it's ugly head. Energy is available in bursts . Typically it's managed by accepting those burst and the related lack of energy and quick recovery. It is a cycle those so afflicted live with. All the conditioning the body may get only works for short periods.
Without a medical analysis I don't understand how any one may look at a player and say--Conditioning
If she were pounds overweight I may say conditioning (and I'd probably be wrong) but Lexi had good weight as far as I could see. Hypothroidism is at times a female issue more rare in males.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The latest NCAA stats show Brewer with 5.75 blocks per game. Liv is second at 4.64 bpg. 6'7" Sara Hamson of BYU is third at 3.69 bpg.

Reaction Score
After what I saw, I say Liv overtakes her soon as TT plays better competition.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For some reason, we got this game last night. I agree with the assessment in the first few posts.

I immediately thought she'd lost some weight and that her conditioning was much better. I thought the whole Texas Tech team was a half-step slow on defense, including Lexi. Another thing I observed about Lexi in particular is that she seemed to be conserving her energy on DEFENSE. Hustling down the court on offense, jogging while getting back on defense, including when she was the closest one to the ball. This is the opposite of, say, Teaira McCowan or Kalani Brown, and would never fly on a team coached by Geno, Vic, or Kim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom