Changes to the Women's Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Changes to the Women's Tournament

Reaction Score
How about letting as many teams play as possible for the love of the game those “lesser” teams and players have? For them, making the tournament and taking that 5 hour bus trip is their “national championship”! They dedicate themselves and generally speaking put in the same effort as the “elite” players many on this board fawn over every time one of them crosses the street.
Just my opinion obviously.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Our goal every year is to win the National Championship. The same can be said for SC, Baylor, Stanford, and the list goes on, but not on and on. There are schools that have a dream of making it to the final four. Iowa, Ohio State, Georgia, etc.

Now, the mid majors, the lower conferences, the schools that play for the dream of just having the opportunity to play college basketball. They really don't have such dreams, at least, not in the forefront of their minds. Win the conference championship, for that is their NC. Their biggest dream above that is just to make to the big dance, knowing that they really don't stand a chance to win, but the thrill of playing against one of the big boys, playing against the iconic players that they have watched on TV, and yes, having the chance to be on TV themselves, maybe for the first time and the last time in their basketball careers. You don't have to be "great" to play CBB, but the opportunity to be relevant in the game fuels their passion. They may not be good enough to play for a NC contender, but what is on their minds as they hoist up a shot in their driveway growing up. We all have done it, maybe we never played even High School basketball, but we have been to the FF in our minds, taking the shot that wins the NC for the local school. What I'm trying to say is that these kids in the lower schools deserve a better shot of getting in, having a chance to live out their dreams. Probably the worst feeling in the world to them is to win the year long conference title, but to lose in the conference tournament and lose their birth. The conference winner should get in, as well as the tournament winner. We should be giving these small leagues more ways to get in, not just reward at large bids to large schools based on reputation. Remember, this is just a game, and the excitement from these kids will last a lifetime in their minds, while for the other kids, just another year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the idea. Right now a bunch of small conference champs get to drive 5 hours by bus to get their butts kicked. The highlight of the game for them is warmups.
Give some teams double byes and a bunch single byes. Let the bottom half of the bracket compete with each other for a game or 2.
But the NCAA appears to be void of anyone with imagination or the guts to try something new. I'll bet they need 4 meetings over 2 months to decide on where the Holiday party will be held.
Agree with you 1,000%.
And I like the idea of single/double byes—first round games 1 vs 16 with scores of 93-26 are not good for the game.

Reaction Score
Otherwise, known as the ND expansion. I know the joke wont age well but what the heck. ;)
The outside agency Kaplan, Hecker & Fink LLP is not to be confused with Kaplan, Finkle and Einhorn, LLP, or is it Kaplan, Einhorn and Finkle, LLP....

Reaction Score
Our goal every year is to win the National Championship. The same can be said for SC, Baylor, Stanford, and the list goes on, but not on and on. There are schools that have a dream of making it to the final four. Iowa, Ohio State, Georgia, etc.

Now, the mid majors, the lower conferences, the schools that play for the dream of just having the opportunity to play college basketball. They really don't have such dreams, at least, not in the forefront of their minds. Win the conference championship, for that is their NC. Their biggest dream above that is just to make to the big dance, knowing that they really don't stand a chance to win, but the thrill of playing against one of the big boys, playing against the iconic players that they have watched on TV, and yes, having the chance to be on TV themselves, maybe for the first time and the last time in their basketball careers. You don't have to be "great" to play CBB, but the opportunity to be relevant in the game fuels their passion. They may not be good enough to play for a NC contender, but what is on their minds as they hoist up a shot in their driveway growing up. We all have done it, maybe we never played even High School basketball, but we have been to the FF in our minds, taking the shot that wins the NC for the local school. What I'm trying to say is that these kids in the lower schools deserve a better shot of getting in, having a chance to live out their dreams. Probably the worst feeling in the world to them is to win the year long conference title, but to lose in the conference tournament and lose their birth. The conference winner should get in, as well as the tournament winner. We should be giving these small leagues more ways to get in, not just reward at large bids to large schools based on reputation. Remember, this is just a game, and the excitement from these kids will last a lifetime in their minds, while for the other kids, just another year.
I agree with rewarding the "grind it out all year" victors of the small conferences getting to the dance, and have the "Big" reputation teams take the WNIT route should they desire to extend their season to the WNIT final. The South Dakota teams come to mind...

For that matter, they could push the WNIT between the conference finals and the first round of the NCAA, instead of two weekends of conference tournaments. Monday selection night [NCAA & WNIT]; Wednesday WNIT round of 32, Thursday WNIT round of 16; Friday WNIT round of 8; Sunday have the semifinalists play the four #1's [all 8 vs.9 matches on Sunday as well]. Then, once all of them are out, the WNIT can have them play their final four, or the losers of the first round #1's match [if an upset occurs] on the following weekend of the Sweet Sixteen: Saturday the WNIT national semi-finals, and the WNIT finals on Monday night.

That way all teams who think they deserve a spot in the dance can "prove it!" instead of snubbing the WNIT. If you are going to be the National Champion, you have to beat a #1 at some point....

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that March Madness isn't being considered by the women. It's being allowed by the men because (having watching this as pointed out by Renee Montgomery and others) they finally realized the huge inequity in keeping it for themselves. Not to mention the fact that the announcers for the women's games were using it, anyway, which was a huge "Up yours, NCAA," from what I could tell.

Reaction Score
I do think I would welcome a best of three final when we hit Sweet Sixteen. Yes, it would take time. Good time. But it would eliminate fluke champions.

Reaction Score
I don’t have any interest in a best of 3.
A large part of the competitive attraction ( for me) is the way a team/coach prepares for the tournament—arranges the chemistry to peak at the correct time and adjusts on the fly—one shot deal— winner take all.
Conference tourneys and the “Big Dance(S)”- both men’s and women’s are my favorite sports time of the year.
Players leave it all on the floor.
The next loss could be the last game OF THEIR CAREER.
Do or die—no tomorrow.
Ahead of the tennis US Open (one click) and way ahead of football playoffs and World Series.
Granted, tennis majors are best of 3 or 5, but it’s settled that night.
NBA not even a consideration.
One and done is where it’s at for me.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in a best of 3 once they get to the final 4 match ups.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons that I no longer ever watch the NBA is the tournament that takes forever and ever and ever and ever. I love the NCAW and WNBA tournaments as they are. If a team wins a DI conference title, they should be in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom