Change the OC or the QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Change the OC or the QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The offensive line couldn't handle the blitz and the RB couldn't handle he blitz.

So call the game that way. Expect the blitz and go to your hot reads. Call screens and use the backs as your check down rather than keeping them in. It's not rocket science, you take what he defense gives you.

Reaction Score
There really is a problem on the staff. We can't play one game after another where the announcers shred our strategy. This game was absolutely winnable. The fact it was close just makes it more frustrating. I like Shirreffs but I'm coming around to trying someone else. We need to throw to the open guys and they are all over the field. With more accurate passing and better play calling/clock management, we are a one loss team. Even the Houston game could have gone our way if those wide open long balls were 10 feet closer to the receiver. I'm really sick about how good we would be right now with TJ as our OC, let alone our head coach and an average passer at QB. We are so close...... and now Thomas will be gone and Arkeel will be a senior next year. So frustrating.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone notice that we had all of our troubles after Hopkins went out? It seems that he is the guy that gels our online.

I saw a lot of the trouble with sacks hurries and hits on Shireffs came from that hole when he was gone.

Reaction Score
Or maybe we just got beat by a better team.

We're not the only team that's gotten overpowered by USF's offense this year. We gave them a hell of a game for 3 quarters. We don't need to call for people's heads everytime we lose.
No idea why this is such a hard concept for people to understand. We were 21 point underdogs, but fire the coach since we lost. Ok makes sense.

Reaction Score
No idea why this is such a hard concept for people to understand. We were 21 point underdogs, but fire the coach since we lost. Ok makes sense.

I think folks understand. What they don't understand is why we continue the same things over and over that don't work.

And when something does work like sending Newsome down the seam, we never come back to it.

Actually we gave them a game for five minutes. Our offense took the first half off again, 3 points.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll only say this. 27 points is plenty to win. The biggest issue this year has been on D, at least since the Navy game. Against Maine, yes, the offense stunk. Let a lot of points out there against Navy too. But Syracuse and USF are on the D. People who don't think the offense has adjusted, I don't know what you're watching. The one legit criticism is stagnant offense early in the game. I think the early game scripted plays may be too predictable.

Reaction Score
The fact that we have no running game doesn't help Sherriffs either. While were at it how about we get eye exams for Ron Johnson and Arkeel Newsome. I don't know how many time I have seen a blitzer run by either one of those two without them noticing. We really miss the days when we had a quality full back like Dion Anderson or Anthony Sherman. This offensive line would look a lot better with either one of those two in the backfield.

As long as we're throwing crap against the wall...

I wonder if it might have made sense to work on shifting a guy like Tommy Myers into the backfield on certain passing downs to pick up an inside blitz or even as a short yardage runner/blocker. Don't know if he has those skills but we really miss a strong blocker/runner/pass catcher who takes 2 guys to tackle as a safety valve.

Reaction Score
As long as we're throwing crap against the wall...

I wonder if it might have made sense to work on shifting a guy like Tommy Myers into the backfield on certain passing downs to pick up an inside blitz or even as a short yardage runner/blocker. Don't know if he has those skills but we really miss a strong blocker/runner/pass catcher who takes 2 guys to tackle as a safety valve.
Seems like these TE guys are too tall and not agile enough to do some on the blocking required. Need a 6'1" 245 lb. kid who knocks LB's back and can cut off slanting linemen. Someone like Walsh.

Reaction Score
I'll only say this. 27 points is plenty to win. The biggest issue this year has been on D, at least since the Navy game. Against Maine, yes, the offense stunk. Let a lot of points out there against Navy too. But Syracuse and USF are on the D. People who don't think the offense has adjusted, I don't know what you're watching. The one legit criticism is stagnant offense early in the game. I think the early game scripted plays may be too predictable.

Agreed, but the way this team is built (put the team on the D's back for the most part)... It's a methodical team... grind out til the end, no matter what happens in the beginning. It's a problem. and we all know when the opposing team has a QB that has the ability to run with the football and throw it, we dig HUGE holes for ourselves... 3 of the 4 losses clearly showed that. So, IMO, coaching is more of a concern there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom