Change scheme tonight | The Boneyard

Change scheme tonight

Reaction Score
Um. HCRE played qb at Syracuse. Though he was first hired away from Georgia Tech where he was D.coordinator, HCRE-version 1.0 had Todd Orlando on his staff. Version 2.0 hired an FCS coach whose hands are tied with FCS level players playing in FBS games.

Reaction Score
Um. HCRE played qb at Syracuse. Though he was first hired away from Georgia Tech where he was D.coordinator, HCRE-version 1.0 had Todd Orlando on his staff. Version 2.0 hired an FCS coach whose hands are tied with FCS level players playing in FBS games.
Say what you want the defense never looked this helpless under P and Diaco. Diaco appears to have recruited worse than he coached however.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
“We decided to come in here and install a defense that we think is going to be good for us as we put this program together,” Edsall said. “The defense [defensive players] that we inherited were not built for this defense. If you look, we don’t really have enough lineman to play a four-man front. It’s not the scheme, it’s we need to get players in to play the scheme that we want to play because of the teams we’ll be matched up against year-in and year-out. Right now it’s difficult because we don’t have the personnel to play this.”

“We don’t have the personnel to play a 4-3 either,” he continued. “This is a big job that we’ve undertaken to make better, pure and simple. It isn’t going to happen overnight, it just isn’t. I wished it could, but we need to go recruit guys that can play this, but we don’t have people to play a 4-3 scheme. If you look at our depth, we don’t have four down linemen that can play and have back-ups. So what we’re trying to do is put together the best thing that we can to give us a chance to win. Right now, it’s not real pretty, but this is who we have, this is what we are and we’re just going to continue to work to get better.”

There’s nothing else to say.

Reaction Score
“We decided to come in here and install a defense that we think is going to be good for us as we put this program together,” Edsall said. “The defense [defensive players] that we inherited were not built for this defense. If you look, we don’t really have enough lineman to play a four-man front. It’s not the scheme, it’s we need to get players in to play the scheme that we want to play because of the teams we’ll be matched up against year-in and year-out. Right now it’s difficult because we don’t have the personnel to play this.”

“We don’t have the personnel to play a 4-3 either,” he continued. “This is a big job that we’ve undertaken to make better, pure and simple. It isn’t going to happen overnight, it just isn’t. I wished it could, but we need to go recruit guys that can play this, but we don’t have people to play a 4-3 scheme. If you look at our depth, we don’t have four down linemen that can play and have back-ups. So what we’re trying to do is put together the best thing that we can to give us a chance to win. Right now, it’s not real pretty, but this is who we have, this is what we are and we’re just going to continue to work to get better.”

It's true. But we don't tackle, or cine close to forcing turnovers. Carrezola and Ormsby were recruited by P to be 4-3, ends and I believe they would both be above average in that scheme. Problem is the cuffs Diaco recruited fit no scheme.

Reaction Score
Diaco reminds me of the coach at Rutgers before Schiano. Essentially he recruited 1AA talent. It took 3 years and some beatdowns to get competent players in there.

Reaction Score

Randy is that You?

Check out @johnbcrist’s Tweet:

Reaction Score
What kind of a scheme put Britton on a fast guy all alone on third down? Why is Britton even in the game on third and long or third and medium?

Reaction Score
What kind of a scheme put Britton on a fast guy all alone on third down? Why is Britton even in the game on third and long or third and medium?

Read CT Mike's post of a preseason RE post:

Condensing RE's remarks to answer your question ......

1) Little if any FBS talent
2) There's no one better

Reaction Score

If I'm a defensive player on this team, I don't like how Edsall described me. After this season, wouldn't you think that there will be some transfers leaving now since they were told that they don't fit the 3-3-5?

Reaction Score

Well, you can add this too...

>>"The frustrating part is how can you go for a quarter and a half and do that, then all of a sudden explode," Edsall said. "That is the thing I am trying to figure out, what we can do, but guys have to believe in it and understand it is a 60-minute game. You have to strain, we are trying to play other guys to help them out too. I don't know what we can do. We aren't going to the waiver wire, we aren't bringing guys in to try out and work them out, add them to the roster. All we can do is work and get better collectively — coaches, players everybody, we are all in this together."<<

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There is.

But only UConn can go from worst in the country on offense and decent defense, to good on offense but worst in the country on defense. That's special.
This is just my opinion but I think it’s easier to hide deficiencies on O than on D. Truthfully, our OLine is still suspect, but Lashlee has been great at minimizing the impact - quick plays, quick reads, quick passes. On D, the problems are a lot deeper. Each position group has some significant inherent issues that aren’t easy to cover up scheme wise.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If I'm a defensive player on this team, I don't like how Edsall described me. After this season, wouldn't you think that there will be some transfers leaving now since they were told that they don't fit the 3-3-5?
I guess you could be offended or you could look at the stats and say “well coach kinda has a point”. It’s not personal. Maybe there will be some transfers. There is a LOT of work that needs to be done. More than a year or two worth of work. But people want it humming after 4 games, they almost certainly won’t wait 2 years. I trust Edsall to manage it appropriately though.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Yeah, he pretty much kicked all the underclassmen to the curb. Prepare to be recruited over. However, that's usually the way it works whenever there's a coaching change. The new coach is going to eventually bring in his own guys. If you're a freshman or sophomore with marginal talent, you can expect to eventually get replaced. That was a real problem during the Diaco regime. There were his guys and Pasqualoni's guys. Guess who played, whether they deserved to or not?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The good thing about underclassmen is that they eventually become upperclassmen. Obi comes to mind. His growth was phenomenal.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the lack of talent excuse. No way. We're playing the wrong scheme for our talent. We should be playing the 4-3-4.
We may not be great at it but we wouldn't be giving up 700 yds. No way no how. Does anyone really think that if Todd Orlando or Don Brown inherited this D team they'd be pummeled like this? I would blow up the 3-3-5 now--either demote Crocker or fire him. With Lashlee firmly (and exclusively) in control of the O, let Edsall run a 4-3-4 D. I'd take my chances with that.

C

Chief00

As usual, another untruthful pants on fire post from you. When Crocker was introduced, he was sold as the architect of the 3-3-5, which he was installing at UConn. Now Randy is saying we want to play the 4 man DL, according to your post but don’t have the personnel to do so.
When you defend the indefensible (700 yards) this type of contradiction and illogic is the result.

C

Chief00

I don't buy the lack of talent excuse. No way. We're playing the wrong scheme for our talent. We should be playing the 4-3-4.
We may not be great at it but we wouldn't be giving up 700 yds. No way no how. Does anyone really think that if Todd Orlando or Don Brown inherited this D team they'd be pummeled like this? I would blow up the 3-3-5 now--either demote Crocker or fire him. With Lashlee firmly (and exclusively) in control of the O, let Edsall run a 4-3-4 D. I'd take my chances with that.

Chief approves. I think Murphy is serviceable and would like to see Rose moved to DE.

Reaction Score
As usual, another untruthful pants on fire post from you. When Crocker was introduced, he was sold as the architect of the 3-3-5, which he was installing at UConn. Now Randy is saying we want to play the 4 man DL, according to your post but don’t have the personnel to do so.
When you defend the indefensible (700 yards) this type of contradiction and illogic is the result.

I’ll let @CTMike defend his post of the direct quotes of RE — but for clarity RE didn’t say he wants to play a 4-3. Listen to context starting @2:10

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

What's the quote? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

That's where we are now at with this defense, and our head coach has us jumping over the cliff with it like lemmings, for the rest of this pathetic season.

Reaction Score
Read CT Mike's post of a preseason RE post:

Condensing RE's remarks to answer your question .

1) Little if any FBS talent
2) There's no one better

What makes RE think he can recruit better than BD or PP? BD had a pretty solid background coming from ND. PP recruited a lot of great players that went on to the NFL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom