Change only makes you better | The Boneyard

Change only makes you better

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With the transfers and our underclassman they've made a decision to come to UConn to be part of something special. Understand if you keep on doing what your doing, your gonna keep on getting what your getting. That to me is the definition of insanity. If you dont wanna change and improve then you cant expect to get better. You cant compare yourself to the best players or the greatest palyers you can only compare yourself to yourself and do what it takes to get better. Winners win and loosers lose. Winners find a way to win and unfortunatly Loosers find a way to loose. If you dont embrace change you become stagnant and others who work hard will pass you by.

To become the best at anything you have to be willing to accept the fact that you are not as good as people say you are. The winners always outwork everybody else. The winners never take time off, Winners never take it for granted. The winners always prepare for the unexpected because nothing is a given. When your good everybody else will tell you your good, you dont have to tell them.

The worst thing you can become is a could've been...and theres nothing worse then being a could've been. It takes time, patience, and coaching to become great at anything in life. Geno continues to learn from others whether that be other college coaches or NBA coaches. He takes the time to spend time with them to learn and thats why UConn is where they are today. Geno is a leader. Geno is a copy worth duplicating. Geno does it first meaning he spends the time with other coaches to learn new things and get better and brings what he learns back to the team. Thats why his players love him and respect him. Geno does if first then he takes it to his players.

Over the years I got alot of flack for my high expectations like my 195-0 predictions. Thats ok because I learned along time ago about lofty predictions and lofty dreams. I learned if I shoot for the moon and miss I under up with the stars. At UConn I think thats kinda whats behind Geno's discipline and thats one of the reasons they always get better each year.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
omg I think you achieved the most cliched post of the year Tony :) . You did miss a few tho. With a little rewriting you can fit these in:
Better safe than sorry
Ignorance is bliss
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (I like to use this one)
You can't please everyone
Actions speak louder than words
The grass is always greener

Reaction Score
With the transfers and our underclassman they've made a decision to come to UConn to be part of something special. Understand if you keep on doing what your doing, your gonna keep on getting what your getting. That to me is the definition of insanity. If you dont wanna change and improve then you cant expect to get better. You cant compare yourself to the best players or the greatest palyers you can only compare yourself to yourself and do what it takes to get better. Winners win and loosers lose. Winners find a way to win and unfortunatly Loosers find a way to loose. If you dont embrace change you become stagnant and others who work hard will pass you by.

To become the best at anything you have to be willing to accept the fact that you are not as good as people say you are. The winners always outwork everybody else. The winners never take time off, Winners never take it for granted. The winners always prepare for the unexpected because nothing is a given. When your good everybody else will tell you your good, you dont have to tell them.

The worst thing you can become is a could've been...and theres nothing worse then being a could've been. It takes time, patience, and coaching to become great at anything in life. Geno continues to learn from others whether that be other college coaches or NBA coaches. He takes the time to spend time with them to learn and thats why UConn is where they are today. Geno is a leader. Geno is a copy worth duplicating. Geno does it first meaning he spends the time with other coaches to learn new things and get better and brings what he learns back to the team. Thats why his players love him and respect him. Geno does if first then he takes it to his players.

Over the years I got alot of flack for my high expectations like my 195-0 predictions. Thats ok because I learned along time ago about lofty predictions and lofty dreams. I learned if I shoot for the moon and miss I under up with the stars. At UConn I think thats kinda whats behind Geno's discipline and thats one of the reasons they always get better each year.

You are correct to be the best, you must strive to be the best. In coaching of WBB to create winning teams: the proof is the 11 NC's. Geno has stated that he is willing to take that which other coaches have used and improvised upon it--i.e. Change.
I can think of 3 teams that (whether they admit it or not) used much of Uconn's methods: Muffet, Harry P, Doug B--
1 is very successful, 2 other just use portions of the Geno concept. Going back 15 or so year--WCBB wasn't much on shooting the 3. Geno again stated he preferred the 3 because you got almost as much out of 3 3's as 5 2's, efficiency. His early teams used a shot many womens teams wouldn't use, Harry latched on to it as did Doug.

I don't think the flack you received was about the prediction but the probability of that happening.

Reaction Score

TONY: Your notion of shooting for the moon and being satisfied with the stars reminds me of my theory of longevity: having once read many years ago that the outer limit for human lifespan is probably about 800 years, I decided right then and there to shoot for that; and if I fall a little short, I'll settle for that. Hey, I'm more than one tenth of the way there already, though I do wish the process was not quite so fast paced.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

As ever Tony, you hit the nail on the head. Perfect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom